• June 15, 2024, 01:41:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DNS-321 comes with unsupported software - DriveClone 5  (Read 28734 times)

gallamine

• Level 1 Member
DNS-321 comes with unsupported software - DriveClone 5
« on: September 10, 2009, 08:48:35 AM »

I tried installing DriveClone Pro 5, the software that came with my DNS-321, but the drive image feature would crash the software. I contacted Farstone, the maker of Drive Clone, but they no longer support version 5 and want me to pay to upgrade.

I'm pretty frustrated/disappointed that the DNS-321 came with software that isn't supported. Was this a mistake in my DNS-321 box, or do all of them come with outdated software?  ???

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: DNS-321 comes with unsupported software - DriveClone 5
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »

We will work with Farstone to make sure they are properly supporting the software. In the mean time, what OS are you using. Are you trying to run the image from the OS or from bootup? Can you provide links to the error (images) or the error text.

The more information the quicker we can diagnose the issue.

grogs

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »

I was testing DriveClone PRO 5 as it came with my 2nd DNS-321 NAS.

I was looking for something that would do a image backup to the NAS as well as provide system level backup. The goal was to find something and install that on my wife's computer which is running Windows XP PRO.

I gave DriveClone PRO 5 a spin since it came with my NAS. Thing is my first DNS-321 actually has Mimeo. The Mimeo software did not sound good since it does real-time backup of files as they change. Not something I wanted to do on my wife's wireless connection.

If DriveClone PRO 5 would have done the job I would have opted to pick up a second copy for my system. Easier to support my wife's setup if I am running the same software.

Well I first tried DriveClone PRO 5 on Windows 7 and it seemed to work fine for the regular backup and the system image thing it does on bootup. But selecting to do a complete image backup caused an immediate crash. I figured the issue was with Windows 7 and went ahead and installed it on my Vista Ultimate 64 system. Even went ahead and registered it.

Well I tried the complete image backup option and I got the same crash. So I uninstalled the package and went for DriveImage XML for the image backup on my wife's system. Under Vista Ultimate 64 I decided to use the built in backup software for the image backup. Seem to be trouble free. Can not save the image to NAS but for the image backup that is fine. I did install DriveImage XML so I can re-image my wife's drive should it go bad and I can check her backups to make sure they are complete. I plan on doing monthly image backups.

I also backup my 1st DNS-321 to my 2nd DNS-321 using RoboCopy. I also use RoboCopy for small backups of other data sets on my system.

Both systems are also doing regular scheduled backups using the Windows Backup to the NAS. This seems to be working very well. I just had to use the user name EVERYONE with no password. I really don't like the fact that Vista backup does not allow backups of .exe and .bat files unless they are pre-compressed '.zip'. Of course the full image backup does save those items.

It's to bad the DriveClone Pro 5 did not work as it looked like not to bad a package. I just did not have the time or the desire to work through the issues.

I did check Farstone's site and the lack of even one update on the product and no bug reports did not leave a good feeling about the product.

Maybe no one uses the product they only get it with their hard drive or NAS?

High Frequency

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »

I've got the exact same issue.  Driveclone crashes immediately when I try to use the "Back up my Computer" function.  Every time.  Every computer.

No info or updates on the Driveclone site.  Only upgrade choice is to pay $30.  Not likely if this is the way it works.

Can Dlink do something to fix this?

High Frequency

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »

Here's what the Windows XP error report says:

AppName: fsmain.exe      AppVer: 1.0.0.7   ModName: dc30_treeui.dll
ModVer:  1.0.0.1      Offset:  00008724

grogs

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 01:56:39 PM »

I still have Drive Clone Pro 5 installed on one of my VM instances running 'Windows 7'.

Here are the results from selecting full backup option.

From Event log:
Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: fsmain.exe, version: 1.0.0.7, time stamp: 0x47f995b8
Faulting module name: DC30_TreeUI.dll, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4805ba1e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00008724
Faulting process id: 0xcbc
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca33e9a17df5b8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\FarStone\DriveClone Pro\fsmain.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\FarStone\DRIVEC~1\CBP\DC30_TreeUI.dll
Report Id: 0c1d2ecd-9fdd-11de-86aa-000c2948e917

My... that looks like the XP error you have.

Unlinked

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »

I have the same crashing issue - using Drive Clone 5.1.0 that came with my system.  They seem to have a free upgrade to version 6, but when trying to install it, it also crashed saying it could not find the file it just downloaded.  Very sad. 

btv268

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:56:07 AM »

I just installed the DriveClone 5 software on a 64 bit Vista machine and it will not even recognize my hard drives to clone. After a few moments, I get the whole program to crash.

So far I have not had any response from Farstone's tech support.

How do we get the version 6 update?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »

Bundled free software is frequently worth every penny you paid for it.  ::)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

btv268

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 06:16:24 AM »

I finally got a reply from Farstone and they sent me the version 6 of Driveclone with the new license. I tried it out and so far it has worked great for my purposes.

Boboule

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »

I have the same issue with DriveClone 5 installation on Windows 7--crash at Computer backup.
I contacted them, them repied with Ticket number.
I sent them my Dns-321 serial number and Cd Key like they asked but I have not heard from them since.
Still waiting

doorsmaniac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »

I tried Using this Software as well with my dlink 321 and like others I had a Crah At Back up my computer.  I am Running Windows 7 64bit And resolution to the Problem yet?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:13:39 AM »

I tried Using this Software as well with my dlink 321 and like others I had a Crah At Back up my computer.  I am Running Windows 7 64bit And resolution to the Problem yet?

Contact farstone support. The have a procedure for these type of things :).

DeLaFe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »

I am having the same problem and it is more than two months later.  Absolutely NOTHING on the D-Link website OR the FarStone website to update the software of owners of the DNS-321.  Perhaps it is time that D-Link found a different software vendor or had their own program developed?  I am a little concerned now.  I purchased my DNS-321 and it arrived today.  Now I am looking online and I am finding that support is "lacking" on many different fronts.

Alfred

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »

As a rule, free software you get with a device is worth every penny you paid for it.  There are tons of backup options that will serve you better, I'd cut your losses.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.
Pages: [1] 2 3