• June 15, 2024, 01:52:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DNS-321 comes with unsupported software - DriveClone 5  (Read 28735 times)

bigmax

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-321 comes with unsupported software - DriveClone 5
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »

I got stuck with the wrong Drive Clone for Windows 7. They sent me a new version for free but that doesn't work either. It couldn't open the drive. It could see everything but not open it. I uninstalled and put the original software on a Windows XP machine. That could see the drive and started writing to it, but the backup job failed for unknown reasons.

I also found it odd that Windows 7 Explorer can see the drive and move files back and forth but Windows Backup and Drive Management cannot see the drive at all.

The upshot is I have an overpriced external drive. At least the UP-server works.  Otherwise this would be a total bust. >:( >:( >:(

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

Do yourself a favor and switch to Acronis True Image Home 2010, it can be had for $28 mail-order: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200012&cm_re=acronis-_-32-200-012-_-Product
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

bigmax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 02:14:32 PM »

Thx but I'm worried nothing will work since Windows 7 tools (Backup and Drive Mgmt) can't even see the drive on the network. That seems like an issue apart from Drive Clone, but when I called D-link all they could suggest was installing the software on an XP machine.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »

Well, Disk Management doesn't work for network drives, so it won't see it.  Also, Windows Home versions don't support backup to networks as well, here's the features matrix: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Acronis True Image works on the network for Windows 7 Home or the Pro/Ultimate versions, I use both here.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

bigmax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 02:34:06 PM »

Thanks. Will look into Acronis.

kaiserbachfeld

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 07:00:57 AM »

As a rule, free software you get with a device is worth every penny you paid for it.  There are tons of backup options that will serve you better, I'd cut your losses.

Do you have any suggestions?  I bought the DNS-321 because the product data sheet specifically says:

SIMPLIFIED MANAGEMENT
With the included feature-rich backup software, you
can create schedules and rules including real-time full
or incremental backups. The Web-based configuration
software allows users to establish storage quotas
for specific users and groups. The DNS-321 can
automatically back up your data regardless of the
Operating System (OS) of your computer (Windows®,
Mac®, or Linux®).

kaiserbachfeld

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 07:22:48 AM »

I am concerned after reading this thread.  I had this hardware purchased because of the following description...

SIMPLIFIED MANAGEMENT
With the included feature-rich backup software, you
can create schedules and rules including real-time full
or incremental backups. The Web-based configuration
software allows users to establish storage quotas
for specific users and groups. The DNS-321 can
automatically back up your data regardless of the
Operating System (OS) of your computer (Windows®,
Mac®, or Linux®).

However, it seems that it doesn't do this.  It comes with DriveClone but DriveClone only works on Windows and is only an Image creator which you have to go through the process upon restarting and not able to use your computer while it is imaging.  I don't know if it works or not because I just canceled the process.  I don't need imaging, I need "real-time full or incremental backups" that D-Link advertises.  It also needs to work on Windows and Mac.

vaughan_brandon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »

Well, I installed the DriveClone software that came with my DNS-321 and after a few weeks the computer went completely blank and upon restart, I get the following error

Cannot initialize me, error code: 3
Please uninstall me, and contact DriveClone FAQ.

Real descriptive ehhh?  Well, calling Farstone was a waste of time because no one answers the phone.  Emailing them proved unsuccessful as well.  Then I figured, the software comes with Dlink products, they might know something about it.  Nope, not a chance.  They didn't know what I was talking about.  I figure that the MBR got corrupted and I will try to repair it, but thanks Dlink for the great support and way to stand by your product that you sell and its packaged software.

dumbrich

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »

I am really disappointed with my purchase of this product. I thought I would make use of a couple of 500gb hard drives, but the process has been anything but simple. Putting the drives in the box was easy. But windows 7 wouldn't recognize the drives. I installed DriveClone 5 and my nightmare began. BSOD for several hours ... said there was a driver conflict. Called Farout or whoever they are ... twice ... this has been a week ago ... no callback. Finally was able to do a restore and remove the software. Thought there might be a conflict with my Seagate software so, yesterday, deinstalled seagate and tried again. This time the crappy software mucked up my master boot record and the system responded with "system software missing." Finally figured out how to fix that and after several more hours got the computer up and running again. Bought acronis which is great software but it still won't recognize the d-link drives. Does anyone know how to make this work?

I could have simply bought a 2tb esata disk and have been done with everything in less than an hour. As it is, it's been two days of nothing but headache and heartache.

Here's my take:
1. D-Link shouldn't send out a product with inferior software and inadequate instructions.
2. I'm going to write management and demand my money back.
3. Farout needs to get it's act together. Their technical support is non-existent and reflects poorly on D-Link.

That's it ... a terrible experience ... I will never buy another D-Link product.

cavu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 10:35:18 PM »

What a piece of crap software and fraudulent practices by D-Link.

They have obviously made no effort whatsoever to solve this issue and deliver what they advertise.

Who is interested in a class action lawsuit against D-Link??

Email me at michaelg@gray.mb.ca

dumbrich

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 07:36:13 AM »

I normally don't flame people ... but the dlink people are really irresponsible and deserve whatever I, and others, can dish out.

I finally got my windows programs to recognize the drive letters by enabling NFS, which I knew nothing about. These folks should provide a set of quickstart instructions for those of us who aren't network experts. The farout people never did call me back ... and dlink makes it impossible to get a hold of someone by phone.

They should be taken behind the woodshed and given a good scolding for sending out inferior software AND for not having good customer service on their end or farout's end.

IMHO, the support system and information on their website sucks, too.

That's my two cents worth.

P.S. They have a disclaimer on their website that they never offer refunds under any circumstances. They must get claims all the time to have to put up such a message.
Pages: 1 2 [3]