• June 15, 2024, 04:06:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DNS-321 comes with unsupported software - DriveClone 5  (Read 28737 times)

DeLaFe

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-321 comes with unsupported software - DriveClone 5
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »

Memeo works pretty well.  In fact, I thought that the DNS-321 came with Memeo when I purchased it.  Also, the software is not exactly free, it is factored in to the price and is a big enough part of the feature set touted in the marketing.

I have played around with various NAS devices over the years and I am not exactly loving this one just yet.  Let's see what FarStone has to say.  At the very least D-Link should get their act together and have a link on their site to update the software.

Alfred

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 10:33:52 PM »

I am having the same problem and it is more than two months later.  Absolutely NOTHING on the D-Link website OR the FarStone website to update the software of owners of the DNS-321.  Perhaps it is time that D-Link found a different software vendor or had their own program developed?  I am a little concerned now.  I purchased my DNS-321 and it arrived today.  Now I am looking online and I am finding that support is "lacking" on many different fronts.

Alfred

As stated a post above yours, contact farstone. They can fully support any issues you are having.

DeLaFe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 08:49:27 PM »

I have tried to reach them for the past two days via email and telephone.  No one answers via telephone (not even hitting 0 or going through the sales option)

Are they still in business?

Alfred

As stated a post above yours, contact farstone. They can fully support any issues you are having.

Fritter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 05:26:11 AM »

I would recommend NOT using DriveClone.  I had gotten an upgraded vesion (ver 6) from then for free to fix a windows 7 problem, but it would still crash so they made me buy the newest version (ver 7) for $20 which i didn't think was too bad all-in-all considering.  Absolutely horrible!  It actually INCREASED the size of my backup stored on the NAS.  I had about 80GB of data that i backed up with high compression.  It ended up being ~102 GB stored on disk.  Once i saw this i stopped trusting the software especially since it puts it in it's own format.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 05:34:09 AM »

Acronis True Image for bootable images, ROBOCOPY for data.  Both a lot cheaper and a lot more reliable. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

DeLaFe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 05:35:03 AM »

Not only did version 5 crash every time I tried to make a back-up, but it made my laptop unstable and it would give me a blue screen every few minutes.  I had to uninstall it completely and now my machine is running well.

I have a copy of Norton Ghost, guess I will have to use that.  (At least I can count on Symantec answering the telephone!)  I purchased the DNS-321 to use primarily as a back-up device.  I want to create an image of the drives of my laptop and my wifes laptop with incremental back-up.  At some point I want to try to create the image, install two new hard drives in my laptop, format in RAID 1 and restore the image.  (I have a new Gateway laptop with two HD bays which I LOVE)

Alfred

McDaddy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »

Farstone's DC 5 is a 2 year old application.  One of the big selling points for me w3as real-time backup and I was looking forward to the software everyone raved about in the reviews I read.  (Memeo?!).  321 shows up yesterday, I install it and discover, as all of you have, that I have unsupported, poorly engineered, non-functional, backup software.

D-Link, we need a REAL application with our bundle plz.

DeLaFe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »

It took two days, but they finally replied to my support request asking for the Serial Key, DNS-321 serial number and they wrote "Dlink bundled our older software with their hardware which is DriveClone Pro 5.
If you would like an upgraded version of our software please provide me with these items.
1.Dlink serial number
2.Drive Clone Pro 5 serial number
3.The receipt for the dlink"

D-Link needs to update the software they ship or put a link on their website so that it can be downloaded.  I can not tell you how disappointing it is to receive a product with old firmware and worthless software.  Plus, after spending an hour reading through this forum I see that there are many "bugs" which will probably never be addressed.

I have purchased over 100 D-Link items over the years for myself or clients because they are relatively inexpensive and work well, but this is raising some serious red flags. 

Alfred

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »

It took two days, but they finally replied to my support request asking for the Serial Key, DNS-321 serial number and they wrote "Dlink bundled our older software with their hardware which is DriveClone Pro 5.
If you would like an upgraded version of our software please provide me with these items.
1.Dlink serial number
2.Drive Clone Pro 5 serial number
3.The receipt for the dlink"

D-Link needs to update the software they ship or put a link on their website so that it can be downloaded.  I can not tell you how disappointing it is to receive a product with old firmware and worthless software.  Plus, after spending an hour reading through this forum I see that there are many "bugs" which will probably never be addressed.

I have purchased over 100 D-Link items over the years for myself or clients because they are relatively inexpensive and work well, but this is raising some serious red flags. 

Alfred

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will contact FarStone and investigate this to see if we can expedite this process.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »

I would recommend NOT using DriveClone.  I had gotten an upgraded vesion (ver 6) from then for free to fix a windows 7 problem, but it would still crash so they made me buy the newest version (ver 7) for $20 which i didn't think was too bad all-in-all considering.  Absolutely horrible!  It actually INCREASED the size of my backup stored on the NAS.  I had about 80GB of data that i backed up with high compression.  It ended up being ~102 GB stored on disk.  Once i saw this i stopped trusting the software especially since it puts it in it's own format.

Do you have an email instructing you to purchase Version 7?

Fritter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 06:10:42 AM »

Do you have an email instructing you to purchase Version 7?

Unfortunately I do not anymore since I no longer have that email address.
Although I would like to point out that FarStone no longer offers DriveClone Pro on there companies website.  My guess is they ditched this software and replaced it with TotalRecovery.  D-link may want to look into the software they offer now since even the company doesn't offer it.

http://www.farstone.com/software/driveclone-pro.php

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »

Unfortunately I do not anymore since I no longer have that email address.
Although I would like to point out that FarStone no longer offers DriveClone Pro on there companies website.  My guess is they ditched this software and replaced it with TotalRecovery.  D-link may want to look into the software they offer now since even the company doesn't offer it.

http://www.farstone.com/software/driveclone-pro.php

DriveClone was simply renamed to TotalRecovery. It was not ditched.

McDaddy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 07:44:49 PM »

Regardless of the applications name.  The bundled software does not work with the current level of OS most people run (Vista and 7).

That being the case, http://www.farstone.com/software/totalrecovery-pro.php should be the new bundled application.  This isn't a Farstone issue, this is a D-Link issue that THEY need to resolve with Farstone; and then pass along to their customers.

McDaddy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »

Here's my backup solution since DLink can't seem to solve the software issue.

Microsoft provides a free power toy named SyncToy.  You configure folder pairs and define a sync direction then schedule it to run with Task Scheduler.  Totally free and functional backup; NOT a drive image solution, just data backup.  Takes a while to run the first time but thereafter it only echos the changes from source to destination.

I dump a copy of my data to a local secondary drive using SyncToy and then clone that folder to my mirrored disk set in my 321.

Link to SyncToy download.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 05:25:44 AM »

I use Acronis True Image for image backups, and I have Beyond Compare for large sync jobs, and I also have SyncToy for some misc. backups.  I schedule all of these using Task Manager and let it wake the machine up late at night for the backups.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3