• June 15, 2024, 07:39:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Does Not recognize Hard Drives to Format  (Read 27753 times)

RobWayne808

• Level 1 Member
Does Not recognize Hard Drives to Format
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »

I purchased the D-Link DNS 321 along with a WD 750gb drive.
I installed the drive and whenever I clicked on the utility it would not take me to the Format screen. I called support and they claimed it was because I only had one drive in. I did not believe them but I decided to purchase a second drive. Now with 2 drives in it is still doing the same thing.
I am using Vista Home  and tried using both IE and Firefox.
Any idea's???
Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:54:15 PM by RobWayne808 »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Does Not recognize Hard Drives to Format
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:40:45 AM »

I purchased the D-Link DNS 321 along with a WD 750gb drive.
I installed the drive and whenever I clicked on the utility it would not take me to the Format screen. I called support and they claimed it was because I only had one drive in. I did not believe them but I decided to purchase a second drive. Now with 2 drives in it is still doing the same thing.
I am using Vista Home  and tried using both IE and Firefox.
Any idea's???
Thanks!

Can you explain "will not take you to the format screen". When you go to the devices status tab, are the drives listed? Also what is the model # for the 750GB you are using?

RobWayne808

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:15:24 PM »

When I click on the Configure button it takes me to a login screen. I enter the username/password and it takes me to the set-up page with the tabs set-up, advanced, tools, status, support and logout. In the status tab it is listing 0 drives. I have one drive that is a WD Caviar 750GP and the other is a WD Caviar 500 Blue.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »

Have you also tested these same drives in a PC? We have tested 750GB drives here without any issues.

RobWayne808

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »

These are both brand new drives. I only have a laptop computer so I can not put it in my computer.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 04:22:24 AM »

http://www.cwol.com/usb/usb-sata-ide-adapter-granite-8240.htm

You can pick up a USB to ATA/SATA bridge, such as the one pictured, quite cheaply from several places - I think mine was $19.95 at TigerDirect - and it comes in quite handy at times.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

hwmoser

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »

I am having the same issue.  I have 2 Hitachi 1TB drives that the device won't recognize.  When I go into the web page and view the status, it does not show any drives attached.  I've tried one hd at a time in both bays and it still won't recognize them.  These are brand new hard drives.  Is there  anything that needs to be done to prep the drives before installing them?

RobWayne808

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:17:52 PM »

I was finally able to get mine to recognize but was never able to get it to format. To recognize you have to wait a VERY long time until the light stops blinking then try to format.
I had two other coworkers try to format on their computer networks with the same failed results. I finally got a different enclosure and it worked perfect.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »

I am having the same issue.  I have 2 Hitachi 1TB drives that the device won't recognize.  When I go into the web page and view the status, it does not show any drives attached.  I've tried one hd at a time in both bays and it still won't recognize them.  These are brand new hard drives.  Is there  anything that needs to be done to prep the drives before installing them?

What model # hitachi's are you using? We have noticed some HW changes in the newer model Hitachi drives and want to confirm if you are having an issue with a newer model.

hwmoser

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »

Model # on both is HDT721010SLA360.

I left both drives in the enclosure for several days hoping they would finally be recognized, but they have not been.  Both hard drive lights continue to fast flash.

tvt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »

I've had the same problem with Hitachi    HDT721010SLA360's, This is the 2nd DNS323 I've tried after exchanging the first one.

I can get the drives to be detected after flashing firmware or restoring default settings, but after shutting n and restarting the drives "disappear".

When they are in the "disappeared" status the drive light on the dns323 is flashing.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 06:29:51 PM »

Re: hitachi 1010drives,

I am in the process of testing that exact model. Something has changed on this latest version of hitachis drives and we are in the process of working out what it is and how to support it. Right now the only option is to different drives until we can discover what is causing a compatibility issue.

hwmoser

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »

I verified that the enclosure works - I had a Seagate 160GB drive and plugged that in.  It worked and I was able to format the drive. 

Now I have 2 1TB hard drives that I apparently can't use.  Is there going to be a fix for this in the near future?  Is there a list of compatible hard drives for this enclosure?

weebg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 01:48:30 AM »

I also have a Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB drive that my nas doesn't recognize.  It works for my Samsung 640GB and 1TB drives.

I have a DNS-323 running 1.05 firmware.

dzelda

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 01:30:11 AM »

No dice on Hitachi 1TB (tried 2)
Model: HDT721010SLA360
Pages: [1] 2 3