• June 15, 2024, 01:15:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Mapping Issues!  (Read 23004 times)

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
Re: Mapping Issues!
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2010, 09:22:29 PM »

I spent the last hour or two messing with the wireless router----Success!!!
It took the router forever to decide it was a switch i guess. haha

Ping tests:
XP MCE(wireless) ---success to the NAS; wired router; wireless(now accesspoint)

And bonus: on the XP MCE wirelessly can access the NAS with perfection!
In a moment i will go test the other's and repost!

EDIT: Well the other two have Norton issues now, so for left over people still following, i pose two final questions:
1. How, once signed in as a user, do i log out of that user per say, to access another folder on the share in windows xp(and vista/win7 if you could).
     For example, i have 4 shared folders each with a different user/password. if i log into 'Joe' with my password, but then want to access 'mike's' folder with that password, do i just type in Mike's password and it automatically signs out of joe?

2. Do you have any idea as to which ports to open/let through norton's firewall? I know how to add exceptions, but i tried to add a ''computer-computer" with a specific address(ip of the NAS) exception with tcp/udp connections and all ports open and got no success connecting. Should i be specifying ports? or should the tcp/udp be tcpip/6 or something along those lines?(sorry i dont remember what it was now).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:01:07 PM by chimpezman »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »

1. On windows XP you can create multiple maps to the same device with different usernames and passwords. You can do this through the Map a Drive option under My computer. On vista/7 this is impossible due to microsofts limitations. They do not allow multiple 'connections' to the same device with different authentication. The only way I have found is to connect with your one name, then log off your user and log back on and connect under another name. Even if you mapped it to one name and 'disconnected' the drive, it does not relinquish the authentication of that user...one of the many burdens MSFT has put on NAS manufacturers.

2. I believe for Samba it is port 139 that needs to be open on the firewalled machine.

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »

Thanks again everyone for your help! I've learned many things from this thread alone... :o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]