• June 15, 2024, 05:15:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mapping Issues!  (Read 23007 times)

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
Re: Mapping Issues!
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

The router's firewall has nothing to do with this issue.  That's only effective on WAN->LAN traffic, it doesn't affect local traffic on the LAN side.

Other than preventing a connection at all with MAC filtering, the router doesn't have much say over local networking.

The master browser election is being screwed up, probably by firewalls or Internet security applications.

Since you are behind a router, the first thing I'd do as a test is disable ALL firewalls on ALL machines.  Get it working that way, then look into firewall configurations.

FWIW, the only firewalls here are the router and if I forget to turn off the Windows firewall on a machine.

from reading multiple posts I can tell you are someone who knows a lot and helps alot of people -- but I have to disagree with you on the router lan-->lan blocking, I don't know what he is using but my ancient dlink can do Lan-->Lan blocking of several protocols -- I could easily only allow a single PC on my network to access My NAS (as long as it was going through my router to get there)

I'm not disagreeing with you about the security/firewall software being a possible culprit or the master browser issues -- just that I wouldn't rule out the router until we know if it can regulate the lan traffic -- as most of the affected PC's are on the other side of it and I'm guessing his unaffected Xbox is not passing through the router

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 05:25:39 AM »

I don't know what he is using but my ancient dlink can do Lan-->Lan blocking of several protocols
What D-Link router do you have, and what specific option are you referring to?
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 06:51:57 AM »

I have a DLink -DI-624 -- and I'm looking at my firewall settings --- I haven't tested the LAN -- Lan filtering -- but unless I am mistaken it is very possible -- I have attached a screen shot:

that being said -- I'm pretty sure the only way something like this could get in that way (without manual setup) was if he was using EasyHome or some other one click network setup application which might setup such rules.

I am curious to see if the XBox is going through the router or right into the switch.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »

From the user's manual for the DI-624.
Filters are used to deny or allow LAN (Local Area Network) computers from accessing
the Internet
. The DI-624M can be setup to deny internal computers by their IP or MAC
addresses. The DI-624M can also block users from accessing restricted Web sites.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 08:49:23 AM »

this is from the firewall configuration interface:

Firewall Rules
Firewall Rules can be used to allow or deny traffic from passing through the DI-624.

wouldn't that include Lan -- Lan. anything passing through the router

I can say the router allows you to configure it that way as shown below.

it may have been a firmware update that allowed for it and the manual may not have been updated perhaps?

that quote by the way is for the filters not the firewall settings
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:50:59 AM by GideonOmega »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »

I took that paragraph from the filters page.  Nothing in the manual even suggests that the filtering is done on the LAN<->LAN interface.  Think about it, the WAN<->LAN interface only has to deal with the data rate of the ISP.  The LAN<->LAN interface has to pass traffic on multiple ports at the full bandwidth of the switch.  There's simply no way the processor in that router has the horsepower to apply filtering at that level.

FWIW, neither the DIR-615 or the DIR-655 that I have access to have such a capability, so it's pretty hard that an obsolete low-cost model would have it.  I remain a skeptic.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 10:28:39 AM »

well that being said -- the filtering and the firewall remain two separate things within the router, filtering for filtering by Mac or IP (as you mentioned) and the firewall simply allows you to do port blocking. 

the screen shots I have provided would seem to indicate it does work that way -- but that is outside of the scope of this thread I believe, and we seem to be getting off topic :)

as I can't confirm it myself -- I'll find a suitable board here for this router and ask there as someone likely has the knowledge to confirm either way I would think.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »

Well after finally realizing that I could just create said rule in my own environment to test the theory -- it turns out your are correct it does not work -- it will allow you to create a rule with the configuration to block Lan--Lan but it won't actually block it.

My apologies -- I had not tested it that way --- but given options to allow the configuration I had thought it would work that way.

back to the issues at hand -- :)

nguyen_a

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »

Chimpezman,
Just a thought, is the workgroup in the DNS-321 the same with the rest?? It's under SETUP->DEVICE.  Also, if you set the static IP, you need to specify the gateway IP address, which is usually the router.  The router should also be able to see two subnets. Best is to set the DNS-321 static IP address same subnet as other computer and use the router as gateway.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:30:58 PM by nguyen_a »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »

Just wondering but what is the reasoning for double NATing? You seem to only have 2 Wired items in your network (at least from the picture). Also I read through this thread and looked at the picture but I still don't have enough information to show that it is actually physically wired right the way you have it setup.

Can you create another image showing the following,

1) IP Addresses for Each item.
2) Which computers can access the NAS and which can not.

In addition to that, can you verify;

When connecting from your Wired Router to your Wireless router, You are going from the LAN Port on your Wired router to the WAN (or Internet Port) on your Wireless router. If you are going from LAN to LAN you are creating double DHCP on the network which can royally mess things up.

Either way verify your physical connections, jot down what you can on the Image and post a new one and I will try to diagnose it further. I would simply eliminate the wired router and put the wireless router or if you are simply using the Wireless router for wireless access because you didn't want to buy an Access point, turn off DHCP on the wireless router, run the ethernet cable from the LAN port on the Wired router to the LAN port on the wireless router and everyone will be on the same subnet. I have no idea what goal you are trying to achieve but please fill me in so I can provide the best solution :0.

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »

Chimpezman,
Just a thought, is the workgroup in the DNS-321 the same with the rest??
Yep

Also, if you set the static IP, you need to specify the gateway IP address, which is usually the router.
Check.. but my DNS1 and DNS2 under 'status' are different than that of the gateway router...possible issue solver you think?

The router should also be able to see two subnets. Best is to set the DNS-321 static IP address same subnet as other computer and use the router as gateway.
if i follow what you're saying..it is? I'll be posting the updated network map with IP's below.(bottom of post)

For reference, as of right now i have not tested if the NAS can be accessed on the XP Pro system or Vista system hardwired...i assume those simply are Norton Firewall issues and can figure them one out.
My main issue is that i cannot access it wirelessly--what good is a NAS i cant access from the living room? haha

To the task at hand:
When connecting from your Wired Router to your Wireless router, You are going from the LAN Port on your Wired router to the WAN (or Internet Port) on your Wireless router. If you are going from LAN to LAN you are creating double DHCP on the network which can royally mess things up.
haha that is exactly what im doing...Will the wireless router act as a switch if i plug it into the LAN port?--moreover, will it still allow wireless access?? I dont care what subnet it has as long as it provides wireless.  ;D just a bit hillbilly rigged that's all...
Either way verify your physical connections, jot down what you can on the Image and post a new one and I will try to diagnose it further. I would simply eliminate the wired router and put the wireless router or if you are simply using the Wireless router for wireless access because you didn't want to buy an Access point, turn off DHCP on the wireless router, run the ethernet cable from the LAN port on the Wired router to the LAN port on the wireless router and everyone will be on the same subnet.
I will attempt what you said, and reply again to let you know. The wireless router can't handle any type of bandwidth we use, that's why i threw it on the end of the Wired router..it drops signal and connection like crazy. It was banished to apparently become a new subnet lol. This is quite a learning experience for me so i appreciate all the help everyone!

http://yfrog.com/09myhumblenetworkj

ttwau

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »

Chimpezman, at the beginning of this thread you mentioned "Anyway-- My issues are as follows: As previously stated, i can connect, but not one other computer can on my network." When i had multiple PCs with the same username, i encountered the same problem. After setting my username differently for each device, those problems all disappeared. It was with an older pre-1.03 firmware. Is this maybe what is happening for you? If you shut down the PC that could connect, can another device get connected?

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »

Chimpezman, at the beginning of this thread you mentioned "Anyway-- My issues are as follows: As previously stated, i can connect, but not one other computer can on my network." When i had multiple PCs with the same username, i encountered the same problem. After setting my username differently for each device, those problems all disappeared. It was with an older pre-1.03 firmware. Is this maybe what is happening for you? If you shut down the PC that could connect, can another device get connected?
Good question..ill try it and post back.

Apparently no go on going from LAN on wired router-->Lan port on wireless router. It still puts out wireless signal as expected, but upon connection i have a ''limited or no connectivity'' error. DHCP is turned off, and i set the router to acquire IP address from the ISP, which i would assume safely should be the assigned IP from the Wired Router(192.168.1.1)the now only DHCP server on the network. However, i believe it still thought it was 192.168.0.1, so after the previous no go, i changed that to be the previously thought to be assigned IP of 192.168.1.3--also no go.

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »

You sir are a genious! I wanted to test something out real quick..i hardwired directly to 192.168.1.1(wired router) from the XP MCE pc that used to be wireless. I also turned off my pc(the only one that could previously access it). BAM! it works!!

So If that helps initiate some sort of better idea of what's going on, i still need some help here.  How can i set up my wireless router--wired router to allow the use of the NAS wirelessly.
AND
Why is it that i can only access the NAS with my win7/mac off?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »

Good question..ill try it and post back.

Apparently no go on going from LAN on wired router-->Lan port on wireless router. It still puts out wireless signal as expected, but upon connection i have a ''limited or no connectivity'' error. DHCP is turned off, and i set the router to acquire IP address from the ISP, which i would assume safely should be the assigned IP from the Wired Router(192.168.1.1)the now only DHCP server on the network. However, i believe it still thought it was 192.168.0.1, so after the previous no go, i changed that to be the previously thought to be assigned IP of 192.168.1.3--also no go.

Just to verify...you turned off DHCP on the WIRELESS router right? Not the wired one (your gateway to the internet).

If you connect from the Lan port on your wired router to the Lan port on your wireless router, your wired router will serve DHCP to the wireless and Wired ports of your wireless router. It will essentially be a 4 port switch with Wireless. This way you have a single NAT (your wired router), and you will provide wireless to your other computers which will receive an IP from your wired router.

So to Re-iterate...

Cable Modem (internet) ----> Wired Router (GateWay 192.168.1.1, This is your DHCP Server) LAN Port 1 --->Wireless Router (Set the LAN IP to 192.168.1.2, This is your wireless AP, it receives DHCP from Wired Router) LAN Port 1

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4