• June 15, 2024, 04:54:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mapping Issues!  (Read 23006 times)

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
Mapping Issues!
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:45:01 PM »

:-[ I've had the new DNS-321 for about 2 weeks now, and love it. However... only i can love it. I have a dual booting Mac-snowleopard and Windows 7(both of which see the NAS perfectly fine) I even set up TimeMachine and fun_plug with it after a week straight of learning some telnet/ssh commands lol.

Anyway-- My issues are as follows: As previously stated, i can connect, but not one other computer can on my network. My computer is hardwired, but has no issues connecting to the drive via wireless in either OS. Right next to me, i have a wireless HP laptop running XP sp3. I changed its workgroup to well...'WORKGROUP'... it still does not see the drive. I have a second laptop in the other room that id like to connect via hardwire(its OS being VISTA). In addition to that, another desktop--Dell running XPsp3. One thing i cant help but notice is..well myself being the computer savvy person, i run no virus software/firewalls other than windows(so safe i know).....Every other PC has Norton 360 running unfortunately. I have no idea what's wrong--the Dell is my father's work PC and would rather me not mess with it at all. So i have to know exactly what the issue is in order to allow him onto the NAS. If i remember correctly, that particular pc is connected to the same switch that the NAS is on, and he cannot view it still....

Any suggestions? ???

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Mapping Issues!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:40:16 AM »

Disable Norton and run the Norton Removal tool.  My guess is the NAS will show up.

FWIW, I have a mix of XP, Vista, and Windows 7, both wired and wireless, and they all can access the DNS-321 and DNS-323 (both with current firmware) just fine.  This is not the NAS.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »

hmm..to my surprise, nothing changed after removing norton... Just for kicks i tried turning off windows firewall as well with no change. Ive been perusing around the forums and agree with you entirely--it is not the NAS itself...heck..i can use it. I'm just frustrated that no one else can but me...not that im complaining  :D

Just to be certain..by norton removal tool..i assume you mean uninstall it..correct?

EDIT: Would it maybe be because i have already set  up the configuration? I have a static IP on the NAS as 192.168.120 which fits my router's DHCP fine...Using the easy search utility would it only be searching for the default IP of 192.168.1.32?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:27:38 AM by chimpezman »

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »

can you ping the NAS from the affected PC's/laptops?

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »

yep:
4 packets sent; 4 received. 0% lost. :/

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »

I actually mean the special Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »

I actually mean the special Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

I now have run the removal tool--repinged just for the heck of it and i still get a clean response...
This forum is my honest last resort lol. I'm at an utter loss so i really appreciate your time.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »

Can you network from this machine to other shared drives on other machines?

Can you ping the DNS-321 by name?

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »

I wasn't sure if i was pinging the correct name, so i went to the webpage of the NAS-->status and found i named it..."NAS" its description was "DNS-321"---pinged both of those and did not receive any packets.(Could not find host)

I cannot view any other systems from this particular PC with XP. However, From my windows 7 pc, i can view two other computers as well as full access to the NAS. The two computers i can see do not include the one with XP MCE. On this laptop(xp MCE) i can view the residential gateway, and the folder i decided to start sharing with the network, but no other shares show up for it.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »

From the problem machine, please do this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT    -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »

are you perhaps blocking non icmp packets from the affected pc's/laptops via router firewall by any chance
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:50:47 PM by GideonOmega »

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>NBTSTAT -n

Wireless Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.5] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    HP-LAPTOP      <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
    HP-LAPTOP      <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HP-Laptop
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-4E-FB-11
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:41:03 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 15, 2010 4:06:57 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-FC-39-27

\///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

GideonOmega--I'll be straight with you..I have no idea what those are. I took a quick look in my router config page and didnt see anything. However, I have a netgear router/firewall RP614v4. I don't really know how i would go about changing that setting.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »

I find it interesting this machine thinks it's the master browser.  I suspect this is a firewall issue on this machine.  Disable ALL firewalls.

I'd also like to know if you open a command prompt on ALL the other machines you have and run the command:

NBTSTAT -n

How many of them also have the line ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered?

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »

Firewall on XP MCE is currently off. To turn off firewalls on the others(dad's business pc and paranoid brother's pc both running Norton) is going to be a chore. I did NBTSTAT -n on the other pc's and what do you know... they all think they are masterbrowsers(if that's the correct phrasiage :P)

I am the only one on the network with windows 7 as stated in the initial post; Two laptops one with XP MCE, one Vista Home prem. and One desktop with XP Pro. So from my general research i assume only the windows 7 one should be master browser correct?

Is it an easy fix?

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »

if you haven't configured any firewall stuff on your router -- I doubt your blocking access to the NAS by default.

how are you trying to get to the NAS?

are you using unc from the run command like so:  \\ipofNAS  ie \\192.168.0.20

what is the full IP of your NAS currently -- you have 192.168.120 listed on your previous post -- did you mean 192.168.0.120?

you sure your not running zone alarm or some other free firewall on the laptop? -- zone alarm by default will prevent you from getting to your NAS
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:40:23 PM by GideonOmega »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4