• June 15, 2024, 02:45:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mapping Issues!  (Read 23005 times)

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
Re: Mapping Issues!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »

On the other computers besides mine i was attempting to simply find the NAS using the easy search utility. But i was only using it because the NAS would not show up under my workgrouped computers or in my shared area on any of them. All of the said techniques mentioned did not work. And i apologize, the full ip= 192.168.1.120
It still pinging just fine as of this post.

I have windows firewall off, Norton was uninstalled using its uninstaller as well as the removal tool after that. Other than that, its essentially a fresh install of XP MCE that i did maybe..a month ago with little use since then.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »

Interesting -- your NAS appears to be on a different subnet -- my networking skills are limited -- but I would have thought you would want your ip on your NAS to be 192.168.0.120

can you get to the NAS via unc as I mentioned before

run -->\\192.168.1.120

I'm wondering if the subnet is causing routing issues

any particular reason you have your static IP that way?

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>//192.168.1.120
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>//192.168.0.120
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I can explain my network map hah..but my paint skills are awful.--Ill modify the post in a minute with a diagram.

EDIT: hahah my bad... After reading your post i tried..same results :(

Here's the Pic http://www.imagebam.com/image/34d26672035703

i apologize.. i literally just googled fast image upload haha.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:21:03 PM by chimpezman »

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 04:10:52 PM »

try putting your slashes the other way :)

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »

[bump]-so you both would get notified. Normally the amount of help ive recieved would have taken weeks..i really can't thank you both enough for hangin in there so far.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »

ok so from what you have said so far -- both wireless and wired are having issues outside of your xppro anyways -- based on your network map -- I would think it is related to your router blocking it.

just to confirm you can ping no problem (by IP not name) but you cant open a path to the NAS itself?

still wondering why your NAS is configured on a different subnet then your other pc's though?

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »

Only the wireless PC's(just the XP MCE) should have different domains...should be something such as 192.168.0.x
For the wireless router has DHCP on as well as the hardwired 4 port router.(with ip's such as 192.168.1.x)

I can ping to the hardwired Router via wireless just fine...so i didnt think there would be a problem. AND i can access the NAS just fine on my Mac/windows 7 system via either wired or wireless. I shouldnt be having problems to my knowledge.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »

Sorry I think I have reached the limit of my knowledge on this one.

I'm kind of in agreement on this one that it looks to be firewall related -- either software or hardware (routers) -- as you are using two different subnets between your wireless/wired router -- I'm wondering if computers on the different subnets would not have a trust relationship.

from your network diagram -- the xp pro machine should have no problems connecting to the NAS as it should just route straight through the Switch --- Unless there is a software firewall on the xp pro machine that does not trust the NAS IP.

can you ping the NAS directly or just the router?

the XP pro machine must have a subnet of 1 as well then?

it's possible you have a combination of issues affecting each segment of your network the same way.

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »

i can ping both routers from the xp MCE pc. But not the NAS. I assume the mac/win 7 pc can ping the NAS if it connects.

The XP Pro system has a subnet of 1 correct.--it has norton though :-\ haha So its highly doubtful my dad would let me sit down and just fiddle until it works. But i can always ask.
Thanks again for your help!

I suppose ill have to do some more tinkering on the other computers on the 192.168.1.x domain. (both of which have norton..which i assume is the issue) I cannot uninstall/remove norton from those computers though. Im hoping that i wont need to. Unfortunately my dad is a hardcore norton believer, and my brother(vista pc) is just too ignorant about safety to realize that his dinky pentium M and 512 RAM are being held back severely by norton.
But again, i cannot thank you enough for getting me through this far..maybe gunrunnerjohn will come back and save the day haha.

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 05:08:38 PM »

I'm sorry we haven't been able to fix it for you --- If you can ping the router and not the NAS my thoughts are the routers firewall is blocking you from getting there -- you should be able to ping the NAS -- on this PC I'm running through a dlink router --> switch -->Nas and I can ping it no problem

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »

If they're all thinking they're master browsers, that will create a LOT of computer browsing issues!  There should only be ONE computer that's the master browser at any one time.

99% of the time, this is a firewall issue.

You can also check the network services, another common area for issues.

Check that all your network services are Started:
  • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Wireless  Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
  • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations only)
  • Workstation
Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies.  Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running.  Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

chimpezman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »

Is it possible to manipulate what computers are master browsers? if so..how?

I can assume that for the XP pro system off of the switch in the network map, that Norton's firewall simply needs an exception added. So aside from that, I'm more worried about the other two PC's(vista and XP MCE). I checked the services started on the XP MCE pc and all are started, but i can only assume that the manual/automatic settings are correct.

If it were a firewall issue with the router(s) however, what port(s) do i need to forward to in order to allow the other PC's access.

Food for thought, My xbox 360 can view and access the NAS and is off of the same switch.

For reference-network map: http://www.imagebam.com/image/34d26672035703

GideonOmega

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »

I'm guessing your Xbox is running straight to the switch not through the router correct?

I'm wondering if the router has a deny * rule for the effect PC's simply removing that would probably allow you to function (outside of any of the software firewalls that is.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »

The router's firewall has nothing to do with this issue.  That's only effective on WAN->LAN traffic, it doesn't affect local traffic on the LAN side.

Other than preventing a connection at all with MAC filtering, the router doesn't have much say over local networking.

The master browser election is being screwed up, probably by firewalls or Internet security applications.

Since you are behind a router, the first thing I'd do as a test is disable ALL firewalls on ALL machines.  Get it working that way, then look into firewall configurations.

FWIW, the only firewalls here are the router and if I forget to turn off the Windows firewall on a machine.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

ttwau

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »

Are you using the same USER name on more than one system trying to be connected at the same time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4