• June 15, 2024, 03:52:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Firmware 1.03 now available!!  (Read 62169 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Firmware 1.03 now available!!
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »

This is false. All hardware revisions of DNS-321 have the hardware to support auto-power recovery. We only added the option in 1.03 firmware. There is NO configuration for it. Test it out, turn on your 321 and let it boot up. Pull the power plug from the wall. Plug it back in ater a few seconds, did it turn back on? Feature is working as intended.
To answer your question, no!  I have a DNS-321 hardware A2, firmware 1.03.  I just tried this experiment after seeing multiple having issues with it here, and mine does not restart when applying power.  You have to use the power button to restart it.

Either it actually does require a specific hardware revision, or the feature is otherwise broken.  Perhaps there is some other configuration option that interacts with it, say if the drives are sleeping, it won't restart?
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

networker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »

[Edit]  I was able to get the NAS to power down and reboot ONLY if I pulled the electrical connector from the back of the NAS, not the power cord out of the wall.  There must be something going on betwen the power supply and NAS electronics.  So long as I pull the power supply connector from the back of the NAS first, I can do anything like unplug the power supply from the wall, wait a few second and plug the NAS in, then plug back into the wall and it powers up.  I believe the electronics when the power is severed (both 5 & 12 VDC) together it works but I'll bet that when you unplug the power supply from the wall that the 5 and 12 VDC drop differently causing the discrepancy.  So this feature is not helpful to me since I doubt I'll be pulling that connector to simulate a power failure.  And this is fully repeatable.

-Joe

I thought about trying that but I did not want to bend any pins on the connector - I hate when that happens! That sounds like a good reason to me for it not working!

Back to the drawing board!   ???

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:19 PM »

Obviously, pulling the plug is the only realistic option here.  If the power fails, the invisible hand isn't going to come and yank the power from the back of the drive!  ::)

Clearly, this option doesn't work all the time, I wonder how they manage to make it work in the lab?

Has ANYONE outside of D-Link got this to work?

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
  • Retired Rocket Scientist
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »

Clearly, this option doesn't work all the time, I wonder how they manage to make it work in the lab?

Has ANYONE outside of D-Link got this to work?

I would speculate that D-Link labs were just isolating power to the NAS box vice using the supplied power supply.  I could be wrong and I too would like to know if anyone else has been able to make this power on feature work.  I would recommend anyone testing this to ensure thier drives are hibernated to mitigate data loss.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 02:59:27 PM »

Yep, I did make sure the drives were not spinning. :)

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 08:05:16 PM »

This is false. All hardware revisions of DNS-321 have the hardware to support auto-power recovery. We only added the option in 1.03 firmware. There is NO configuration for it. Test it out, turn on your 321 and let it boot up. Pull the power plug from the wall. Plug it back in ater a few seconds, did it turn back on? Feature is working as intended.

Well, I just had to try it too, and I'm sorry to report that my unit did not power up when the plug was pulled from the wall. And I'm on the last beta version of the firmware.

Is it possible that the final version did have some minor changes in it after the last 1.03 beta? Maybe it works with the final version but not the last beta? Has anyone that actually did load 1.03 final try it ?

Or, is it possible that in the lab the power was cut to the unit in a very different method? Perhaps by throwing a breaker or some other odd method? I know it should make no difference but neither does it make sense that it works in the lab but not for all of the end users that have tried the feature out. Grasping at straws I know, but when the obvious doesn't work you have to go somewhere!

Ryder
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:11:34 PM by Ryder »
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 06:13:39 AM »

Has anyone that actually did load 1.03 final try it ?

Ryder
I'm using the final version 1.03.  I didn't see the beta versions anywhere.

-Joe

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 06:51:15 AM »

I'm also running the final 1.03 version, which is the same as the last beta.  Power off recovery does not work.

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
Answer I got from ECF
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »

I was using PM to keep the boards limited on garbage but after a few PMs with ECF, here are the results...

I asked ECF how the NAS feature was tested and here is the answer, you just aren't going to believe it!

I tested it removing the power from the back of the unit. This is how the unit would react connected to a UPS

???

-Joe

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »

Actually, I do believe it, because that's apparently the only way it works. :D

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »

Actually, I do believe it, because that's apparently the only way it works. :D

Agreed

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »

Maybe they'll revisit this in 1.04.  ;)

networker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2009, 07:33:46 PM »

Hi!
Not to change subject but here is something that I found.
Create 2 share accounts (one can be based on an XP user) the other can be any user local to the NAS. Now from the Windows system access the one share that is not of the user of the XP system (you should be prompted for ID/PW and when supplied you can access the share) then try to access the other share with the other user. Are you prompted for ID/PW and when you enter it you are NOT granted access?
The other thing I found is that if you have one share and you want one user to access it with Read and another to access it with RW - if you browse to it in windows you will see what looks like 2 different shares  (example: I have a share called TV, one user is RO the other RW and in windows browser I see TV and TV-1) I will also at this point have the same problem as above if I try to access either as an admin (depends on which one I hit first) [I did not test this with both users having RW or RO rights - I have not seen this in the FTP portion because I have not tested it there]
I hope that this post makes sense to someone - if you have any questions please let me know and I will try to simplify! (if possible)

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 03:22:36 AM »

That reply from ECF is kinda odd in 2 ways.

1. I don't remember anything ever coming directly unplugged during a power outage. Maybe the better way to test it would be to plug it into a surge bar/UPS and then just turn off the power at that point?

2. Why would it make any difference how the power was turned off? No power means no power, or at least that's what I've always been led to believe? Is there something magical in the power brick that makes it turn the 321 back on after power is restored?

Now I'm really confused???

Ryder
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 05:32:04 AM »

I think the difference is the power brick probably doesn't allow the +5 and +12 to decay at the same rate.  That must affect whatever logic they used to determine that they had a loss of power while operating.  Remember, it has to also handle the situation where the device has been turned off normally, then unplugged and plugged back in.  In that case, I suspect they don't want the NAS to power up automatically.  I know I've done stuff like this with avionics, but I actually had hardware assist designed in to make the job easy.  I'm not sure how they did this in the DNS-321, or what hardware support they had available to determine that they were operating when power was lost.  Since they can't really spin up the disks to decide whether to power up, I suspect they write an "operating" flag to the FLASH when they're running and clear it when they're powered down normally, but that's just a SWAG.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6