• May 22, 2024, 09:21:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Freezing router?  (Read 195495 times)

Xinot

• Level 3 Member
Re: Freezing router?
« Reply #255 on: June 22, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »

I see your problem, your Icons are too big.  ::) Have you been taking your Ginko Biloba? It's supposed to help with memory loss.  ???

It looks like you are using Vista which means you probably have at least 2G (or more) of onboard ram. Is this true? Have you ever experienced problems with other applications running out of memory? Have you tried closing some of your other apps that are open? Does Vista have the "Advanced" setting where you can tell it to use more memory for programs instead of background services?

Yeah, i have 4Gb memory in my DIR-655 too... It must be the problem here when windows use it all and give nothing to router. Damned!
A3 1.3zzz

vulkanbros

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »

Well ...Clancy and Xinot ....you didīnt solve my router problems....but your sense of humor is surperb  :D
+1 to you both
Product: DIR-655 - HW Version: A2 - FW Version: 1.33NAb01

Product: DAP-1522 - HW Version: A1 FW: 1.20

Product: DWA-643 - HW Version: A1 - FW Version: 2.0

Product: DWA-160 - HW Version: A1 - FW Version: 1.20 E

Product: DCS-1130 - HW Version:A1 - FW Version: 1.01

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »

My router has not moved its location in about 2 years (I guess that's about how long I've owned it), and neither have surrounding objects, and it is not near any objects with strong and/or shifting fields of electromagnetism (I am writing my dissertation on certain effects of electromagnetism on the brain, in fact).  The wireless portion of the router is irrelevant as well, because the most frequently used computers are wired directly...the main reason I have this router is because it supports 1gb ethernet and has new hardware within...I strongly dislike wireless connections, personally.  The problem is noticeable by myself mostly, on my computer which is wired to the router with a 15 foot cat5e cable.  I also use power conditioners and/or UPSes for my electronic devices, and use ferrite core chokes on cables that don't have shielding...and I personally wired my home with Belden ethernet and RG6 quadshield solid copper core cabling (most cable is rg6 and copper-clad aluminum core) with channel vision products in the central hub, and my signal to my cable modem is +0.7db.  I also have RGB modded my older gaming consoles (crack them open and solder some new connections, or replace the PPU on the original NES console) and have had my television ISF calibrated by Bjorn's here in San Antonio (not by best buy or any of those commercial companies, which don't do a full ISF calibration, even though they say they do)...I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to electronics quality.  I also don't use noise isolators when doing high-end car audio installations, because the way I install them, I prevent the problem from ever happening in the first place.  I don't use a wireless connection, unless absolutely necessary, for anything besides talking on my cell phone.

Needless to say, I had suspected my modem was on the fritz until I remembered the firmware upgrade, which I hadn't considered since I had never experienced such a problem with a firmware upgrade on D-Link or other brand routers in the past.  The firmware upgrade is the only change in the recent weeks, other than the environmental change of the major networks' analog antenna being turned off recently, but no new digital signals are in the area, either.  I've used default settings on the router in addition to my saved settings, both to no avail.

I hope 1.32 can address this issue, but I may just have to RMA the router and get one with older firmware.  I was not able to run ping tests on the router yesterday when it became unusable, because someone reset the router when I wasn't home.

EDIT: oh yeah, it's all on the LAN side, incase that hasn't been mentioned before.  I cannot access the router configuration page many times, and cannot communicate among computers within the LAN.  I will see if a LAN ftp transfer works next time the router grinds to a hault...maybe certain ports function and others don't?  It's probably the whole that doesn't function though.

Have you tried disabling "DNS relay" setting yet?

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »

Yeah, i have 4Gb memory in my DIR-655 too... It must be the problem here when windows use it all and give nothing to router. Damned!

Smart-aleck.  >:(  You want me to sick my big brother on you?

I have the answer but I'm not sharing it until you apologize.  :P
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2009, 08:44:32 PM »

Well, since that message was the first thing I saw, it is starting to back up my suspicion about the dir having a memory leak and not releasing memory when it's needed.

I'm going to see if it's the logging feature that is the memory pig, which is causing the router to lock up.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

Nope no way in hE** could it be the Dir 655's firmware. After 1k's of posts about recent firmware updates I have determined that you guys are a bunch of Idiots! LOL>>> ;D ::)

Xinot

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »

Smart-aleck.  >:(  You want me to sick my big brother on you?

I have the answer but I'm not sharing it until you apologize.  :P

We dont need answers, WE NEED MORE INFORMATION!  ;D
A3 1.3zzz

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »

Yesterday my router got freezing again, after about 5-6 days uptime. :-(
I unplugged the power for a two seconds, and but it back again. Router running normally since then. This never happened with firmware 1.11 which I had before on the router.
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »

We dont need answers, WE NEED MORE INFORMATION!  ;D

YOU WON'T GET IT!     ;D

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2009, 02:26:28 PM »

YOU WON'T GET IT!     ;D

I don't need answers. There's not much use in getting answers, nice firmware will do so we can all do something useful with our life.

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »

I'm still amazed that Dlink hasn't been able to recreate this issue based on the number of people that are having the same symptoms.  There are about 5-10 threads in this forum all describing the similar issues.  In fact, just as I queued up this particular thread, in came the IP Protocol 17, IP Protocol 6, and DNS Relay errors.  Had to power cycle the router to force a reboot just to post.

I'm not beating on the Dlink engineers here.  I just want to know if there is more information besides the router logs and configurations that we can submit to help.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »

I don't need answers. There's not much use in getting answers, nice firmware will do so we can all do something useful with our life.

If tomorrow brought a fix to the Shareport thingy, (non)problem type situation, you could color me gone. I would break free from this "Hotel Portmeirion". Until then, I'm the smelly Uncle that lays around all day, drinks all the booze, eats all the food, puts his feet on the furniture, makes long distance phone calls, hogs the TV, makes uncouth noises and is about as welcome as a case of athlete's foot that just won't go away. Got any more chips?

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2009, 04:27:42 PM »

I'm still amazed that Dlink hasn't been able to recreate this issue based on the number of people that are having the same symptoms.  There are about 5-10 threads in this forum all describing the similar issues.  In fact, just as I queued up this particular thread, in came the IP Protocol 17, IP Protocol 6, and DNS Relay errors.  Had to power cycle the router to force a reboot just to post.

I'm not beating on the Dlink engineers here.  I just want to know if there is more information besides the router logs and configurations that we can submit to help.

Everybody is talking about " the number of people that are having the same symptoms". How many people really have these issues (fact based, counting the number of reads of posts in a thread surely will not suffice)?

Not denying the issues, but making a lot of noise doesn't make a huge army... (Roman tactics, by the way, and they did work (sometimes))...

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #268 on: June 24, 2009, 07:03:24 AM »

Valid point Demon.  My counter point would be... how many do you need to consider it a problem?  I think we would agree that there is a number (whatever that number is) of people coming to this forum with these common symptoms of some issue.  Mind you that there are similar instances of this reported on the other router forums (8XX, etc)  There are also a number of people who don't suffer or don't know they have the problem.  There are also a number of people that don't know this forum exists or just expect wireless to be funky and do nothing.  Without spending ridiculous resources to identify those people, I think its safe to say that the number will remain ambiguous shy of any statistical analysis. 

This forum is based off of the squeaky wheel gets the grease concept.  I don't see a form up anywhere where I can report issues.  I don't see a poll.  What else can we as the common consumer do to help make this issue more definitive?

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #269 on: June 24, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »

How to define a problem...That depends on the number of units sold.
Again, not saying that if your unit does not work properly you don't have a problem. But a problem needing firmware resolving that's a whole different matter.

Your final consideration is a nice one for the Dlink guys  :)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21