• May 22, 2024, 09:54:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Freezing router?  (Read 195498 times)

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Freezing router?
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »

Wrong. They're tested for 3-4 days before being released as replacements. Granted, some times failed units slip through the cracks but that generally results in us sending out a brand new unit thats been tested in house for that specific failure by an engineer.

Jon8RFC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »

I'm having issues as well, ever since updating to 1.31NA on my A3 revision.  It typically happens between 2-5 days, but it depends on bandwidth usage.  If I'm using a lot of bandwidth, the router quality deteriorates more quickly.  Websites are slower to respond and/or don't completely load, and bandwidth is severely hindered.  Accessing the router directly is a hit or miss, depending on when I catch the deterioration; the earlier I notice it, the better luck I have with navigating to reboot the router through the configuration page, although it often takes multiple clicks to finally get through.  If I don't use my computer for a while, but others use theirs and it gets really bad, I have to power cycle the router physically because I cannot get to the router configuration page at all.  So, to recap, things get worse seemingly depending on how much bandwidth is used over a period of time.  If I download a whole lot in a short period of time, I might have to reboot within a 48 hours; the router lasts longer depending on how little traffic goes through.

The next time this happens, I'm going to try and remember to ping the router many times and see what the response time is and if packets get dropped.  This has never been an issue with my router and uptime would go well beyond a month; since 1.31NA I can't go more than a few days without needing to reboot.  I don't have a great understanding of how packets and bandwidth may affect the router, so I'm not sure if it's a number of UDP and/or TCP packets that reaches a ceiling, or if it's a number of concurrent stale connections that get left open and the router can't handle anymore, or if it's purely bandwidth that so many GB worth of data through the router causes it to go kaput.  Hopefully this can be fixed since I supposedly cannot downgrade to a prior firmware version...this issue must be directly related to a permanent change within the 1.3x series which, for some reason, cannot be reversed.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »

I'm having issues as well, ever since updating to 1.31NA on my A3 revision.  It typically happens between 2-5 days, but it depends on bandwidth usage.  If I'm using a lot of bandwidth, the router quality deteriorates more quickly.  Websites are slower to respond and/or don't completely load, and bandwidth is severely hindered.  Accessing the router directly is a hit or miss, depending on when I catch the deterioration; the earlier I notice it, the better luck I have with navigating to reboot the router through the configuration page, although it often takes multiple clicks to finally get through.  If I don't use my computer for a while, but others use theirs and it gets really bad, I have to power cycle the router physically because I cannot get to the router configuration page at all.  So, to recap, things get worse seemingly depending on how much bandwidth is used over a period of time.  If I download a whole lot in a short period of time, I might have to reboot within a 48 hours; the router lasts longer depending on how little traffic goes through.

The next time this happens, I'm going to try and remember to ping the router many times and see what the response time is and if packets get dropped.  This has never been an issue with my router and uptime would go well beyond a month; since 1.31NA I can't go more than a few days without needing to reboot.  I don't have a great understanding of how packets and bandwidth may affect the router, so I'm not sure if it's a number of UDP and/or TCP packets that reaches a ceiling, or if it's a number of concurrent stale connections that get left open and the router can't handle anymore, or if it's purely bandwidth that so many GB worth of data through the router causes it to go kaput.  Hopefully this can be fixed since I supposedly cannot downgrade to a prior firmware version...this issue must be directly related to a permanent change within the 1.3x series which, for some reason, cannot be reversed.

Well, according to Lycan, you have a hardware problem even though it was working fine before 1.31. 

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »

Lycan

Any hint as to how long another released firmware aka 1.32 final may be?

DCIFRTHS

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2009, 03:37:32 AM »

Wrong. They're tested for 3-4 days before being released as replacements. Granted, some times failed units slip through the cracks but that generally results in us sending out a brand new unit thats been tested in house for that specific failure by an engineer.

I have a request. Would you please quote the post that you are responding to? Even if it's just the first few lines.

As a D-Link employee, and forum moderator, I do follow your posts.

DirtMcGirt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »

Upgraded and my router went to sh*t:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=6031.0

It happened occasionally before where I would lose connection but now it's really bad.  Getting to the admin console is rare.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2009, 01:37:13 PM »

Upgraded and my router went to sh*t:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=6031.0

It happened occasionally before where I would lose connection but now it's really bad.  Getting to the admin console is rare.

Dirt (great name, by the way. No joke), have you tried taking your router out of the closet? (no double entendre intended). Do you have stainless steel studs in your walls? Do you live in an Airstream mobile home? (the one with the aluminum skin)

I'm having issues as well, ever since updating to 1.31NA on my A3 revision. 

Jon, have you noticed whether or not your problems arise at the same time of day, or are they sporadic?

Do either of you have your routers placed near equipment that produce a lot of electromagnetic interference? Perhaps an aircondtioning motor on the other side of the wall, you live underneath high voltage transmission lines, your next door neighbor is a ham operator, your next door neighbor runs a hydroelectric power plant? Ok, sorry about that last one.

I know the both of you stated that the problem got worse after the flash upgrade but you were having these issues before the flash but not to this extent. Is that a true statement?

Forgive me if you think my questions are sophmoric. I'm just running over some things I'd try if I were having the same problem since I can't see exactly what your setup looks like, or whether you installed or unstalled software lately, or new drivers, or you changed some setting on one of your Windows services, or something - anything. Is your wireless setting set to "Always on"? Transmission rate set to "Best"? Channel width set to "Auto"? Auto channel scan enabled? (This particular feature is amazing. Everytime I reboot it never fails to select a channel that NO ONE else in my neighborhood is using) These are my settings and they work well for me. If yours are the same, well - hmmmmmmmmmmm.

When I look at my site survey I often see a neighbor's router pumping out a stronger signal than me and he is over a hundered feet away. But, I suppose that this should not have any effect on me if we are on different channels. Do you guys always select the same channel? I have noticed at times that I lose a bunch of signal strength every time my wife decides to come out to the garage (where I am) and talk on our 2.4GHz wireless handset. Other times the signal strength almost completely dies and I cannot figure out why but it is usually during the same time of day because when I crack the top on my laptop in the morning the signal is loud and proud. Don't kill me for this one but are your NICs Wireless G or Wireless N? I have a wireless printer that is Wireless G and one day I could not get it to connect until I figured out that while I was "playing around" with my settings I decided to check the "WLAN Partition" box in Advanced Wireless. It was one of those "Ah HA!" moments when I read the help file for that feature a second time. I discovered in real time that I had turned my wireless AIO printer into a very nice looking printer paper storage unit. Of course, UNchecking that box restored balance to the universe as sunlight came streaming through the windows, rainbows appeared and a unicorn went strolling through my living room. OK, I digress.

Just tossing a few bits of my stream of conciousness out there. Only a few though. I'm running out.
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

rsmin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2009, 07:07:41 PM »

Have been having problems with my DIR655 freezing up for several months, sometimes it would go a week or two without a problem. It would freeze and no amount of resets would help. Would have to leave unplugged for several days then plug it back in and it would be ok. This last time I couldn't get it to do anything no matter how many times I reset it. When it was down I would go back to my old Buffalo router which worked fine.  While on the Buffalo router tonight I went through these entire 17 pages of issues with this router. After reading I thought I would try the "DNS relay" trick. Put the DIR-655 back on the network and no amount of powering down, reseting did anything. WAN, LAN, nothing would work. Couldn't get into the router to do anything. Was about to give up when I remembered someone on here talking about unplugging their "weather station". Now whether it was coincidence or not, as soon as I unplugged the weather station the router came right up. I then went on in and disabled the "DNS relay". Of course will have to watch this for several weeks to know if anything fixed, but I am going to plug the weather staion back in and see if this fails with that on. If it does it again, will leave it off and see if that does anything.

Anyway, thanks to the forums for the tips. This is twice the forums have given me hope that the purchase of this router wasn't a total waste. Without your tips I would have kicked this thing to the curb a long time ago. Will keep you posted.

BTW. MY firmware is 1.21

Rusty

rsmin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #248 on: June 18, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »

Well, that didn't last long. As soon as I plugged the "Weather Direct" Weather station in it knocked the router down. Unplugged and back up. Will leave this unplugged for now and let you know if any more problems.

Weird.

Rusty

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #249 on: June 18, 2009, 07:39:21 PM »

I have a request. Would you please quote the post that you are responding to? Even if it's just the first few lines.

As a D-Link employee, and forum moderator, I do follow your posts.

He's replying to my post on page 16 about my feelings on their testing.

partach1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #250 on: June 19, 2009, 04:59:42 AM »

Here are my thoughts

I have bought a DR655 A4 in March. had the "DNS relay ALG rejected packet" error from the start.
Spent about two weeks with DLink support trying to get it fixed. (did almost every setting from wifi to DNS relay setting, 121 software) NONE WORKED.
After reboot the router cuts off internet in 1-3 days.

DLink suggested to return the first router, which i did. Did without it for more than 2 freakin months. ???
Got a new A4 with 1.20, upgraded to 121EU (it says). and guess what: the new one does exactly the same. :o
Each two seconds in the log it says "DNS relay ALG rejected packet"

In short this problem is in this product for about 4 months!! new versions have come out that still have this bug, unbelievable!! We are talking about a non working product guys

So yes i am kinda pissed >:(. Would like this resolved asap or will need to return the product. :-\

Jon8RFC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #251 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »

Jon, have you noticed whether or not your problems arise at the same time of day, or are they sporadic?

Do either of you have your routers placed near equipment that produce a lot of electromagnetic interference? Perhaps an aircondtioning motor on the other side of the wall, you live underneath high voltage transmission lines, your next door neighbor is a ham operator, your next door neighbor runs a hydroelectric power plant? Ok, sorry about that last one.

I know the both of you stated that the problem got worse after the flash upgrade but you were having these issues before the flash but not to this extent. Is that a true statement?

Forgive me if you think my questions are sophmoric. I'm just running over some things I'd try if I were having the same problem since I can't see exactly what your setup looks like, or whether you installed or unstalled software lately, or new drivers, or you changed some setting on one of your Windows services, or something - anything. Is your wireless setting set to "Always on"? Transmission rate set to "Best"? Channel width set to "Auto"? Auto channel scan enabled? (This particular feature is amazing. Everytime I reboot it never fails to select a channel that NO ONE else in my neighborhood is using) These are my settings and they work well for me. If yours are the same, well - hmmmmmmmmmmm.

When I look at my site survey I often see a neighbor's router pumping out a stronger signal than me and he is over a hundered feet away. But, I suppose that this should not have any effect on me if we are on different channels. Do you guys always select the same channel? I have noticed at times that I lose a bunch of signal strength every time my wife decides to come out to the garage (where I am) and talk on our 2.4GHz wireless handset. Other times the signal strength almost completely dies and I cannot figure out why but it is usually during the same time of day because when I crack the top on my laptop in the morning the signal is loud and proud. Don't kill me for this one but are your NICs Wireless G or Wireless N? I have a wireless printer that is Wireless G and one day I could not get it to connect until I figured out that while I was "playing around" with my settings I decided to check the "WLAN Partition" box in Advanced Wireless. It was one of those "Ah HA!" moments when I read the help file for that feature a second time. I discovered in real time that I had turned my wireless AIO printer into a very nice looking printer paper storage unit. Of course, UNchecking that box restored balance to the universe as sunlight came streaming through the windows, rainbows appeared and a unicorn went strolling through my living room. OK, I digress.

Just tossing a few bits of my stream of conciousness out there. Only a few though. I'm running out.

My router has not moved its location in about 2 years (I guess that's about how long I've owned it), and neither have surrounding objects, and it is not near any objects with strong and/or shifting fields of electromagnetism (I am writing my dissertation on certain effects of electromagnetism on the brain, in fact).  The wireless portion of the router is irrelevant as well, because the most frequently used computers are wired directly...the main reason I have this router is because it supports 1gb ethernet and has new hardware within...I strongly dislike wireless connections, personally.  The problem is noticeable by myself mostly, on my computer which is wired to the router with a 15 foot cat5e cable.  I also use power conditioners and/or UPSes for my electronic devices, and use ferrite core chokes on cables that don't have shielding...and I personally wired my home with Belden ethernet and RG6 quadshield solid copper core cabling (most cable is rg6 and copper-clad aluminum core) with channel vision products in the central hub, and my signal to my cable modem is +0.7db.  I also have RGB modded my older gaming consoles (crack them open and solder some new connections, or replace the PPU on the original NES console) and have had my television ISF calibrated by Bjorn's here in San Antonio (not by best buy or any of those commercial companies, which don't do a full ISF calibration, even though they say they do)...I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to electronics quality.  I also don't use noise isolators when doing high-end car audio installations, because the way I install them, I prevent the problem from ever happening in the first place.  I don't use a wireless connection, unless absolutely necessary, for anything besides talking on my cell phone.

Needless to say, I had suspected my modem was on the fritz until I remembered the firmware upgrade, which I hadn't considered since I had never experienced such a problem with a firmware upgrade on D-Link or other brand routers in the past.  The firmware upgrade is the only change in the recent weeks, other than the environmental change of the major networks' analog antenna being turned off recently, but no new digital signals are in the area, either.  I've used default settings on the router in addition to my saved settings, both to no avail.

I hope 1.32 can address this issue, but I may just have to RMA the router and get one with older firmware.  I was not able to run ping tests on the router yesterday when it became unusable, because someone reset the router when I wasn't home.

EDIT: oh yeah, it's all on the LAN side, incase that hasn't been mentioned before.  I cannot access the router configuration page many times, and cannot communicate among computers within the LAN.  I will see if a LAN ftp transfer works next time the router grinds to a hault...maybe certain ports function and others don't?  It's probably the whole that doesn't function though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:08:26 AM by Jon8RFC »

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #252 on: June 22, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »

Router haulted again today.

Screenshot just last night (this morning) when performance was being slugglish, noticed something that i've never seen before.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #253 on: June 22, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »

My router has not moved its location in about 2 years (I guess that's about how long I've owned it), and neither have surrounding objects, and it is not near any objects with strong and/or shifting fields of electromagnetism (I am writing my dissertation on certain effects of electromagnetism on the brain, in fact). 

OK, next time please mention first that you are a freakin' genius before I make myself look like the no nothing I am!  :'(

Well, since you have covered all bases with a tarp the size of a Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey circus tent, the only thing left for me to bring up is your TCP/IP settings and have you ever optimized them? That's all I'm saying becasue I fear another slam dunk coming.  :-\

(I'm MORE than impressed with your setup)

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #254 on: June 22, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »

Router haulted again today.

Screenshot just last night (this morning) when performance was being slugglish, noticed something that i've never seen before.

I see your problem, your Icons are too big.  ::) Have you been taking your Ginko Biloba? It's supposed to help with memory loss.  ???

It looks like you are using Vista which means you probably have at least 2G (or more) of onboard ram. Is this true? Have you ever experienced problems with other applications running out of memory? Have you tried closing some of your other apps that are open? Does Vista have the "Advanced" setting where you can tell it to use more memory for programs instead of background services?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21