• May 22, 2024, 07:18:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Freezing router?  (Read 195489 times)

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
Re: Freezing router?
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2009, 06:47:32 AM »

EddieZ, do you use dns relay?  Apologies if you already mentioned that you did/didn't.

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2009, 06:51:31 AM »

The key to solving this is enabling Dlink to replicate the issues that are reported. Dlink has explained they cannot replicate the issues in the lab environment. So nobody seems to deny anything (I'm 100% sure Dlink staff have read each and every post), but if you want to solve it, you got to be able to diagnose in the lab to see what's going wrong. Only people reporting: 'it does not save x" or "it reboots" without the context of settings and configs is just not enough.
It's like asking a doctor to diagnose a disease when you only say to him "I don't feel well". But looking at the comments I've received this seems to be the genuine expectation of the local bunch here...

Actually, thats how every diagnosis should begin.  The only problem here is that Dlink (playing the role of doctor) has not asked "what hurts".  I think there have been a number of people willing to offer configurations, settings, screenshots, network topology, etc.  One guy even posted his own log to show some of the exact errors.  These submissions have received no response.  Collectively, people are guessing and clicking off DNS Relay simply because one of the errors they see in the log mentions DNS relay specifically.  I would wager that 90% of the people (including myself) here have no idea what DNS relay does.  Most of us are not network engineers.  We are simply purchasing a consumer level product and asking for consumer level support.  Without Dlink commenting on "we are looking into it", people feel ignored and that their problems are dismissed.  

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2009, 07:12:45 AM »

Actually, thats how every diagnosis should begin.  The only problem here is that Dlink (playing the role of doctor) has not asked "what hurts".  I think there have been a number of people willing to offer configurations, settings, screenshots, network topology, etc.  One guy even posted his own log to show some of the exact errors.  These submissions have received no response.  Collectively, people are guessing and clicking off DNS Relay simply because one of the errors they see in the log mentions DNS relay specifically.  I would wager that 90% of the people (including myself) here have no idea what DNS relay does.  Most of us are not network engineers.  We are simply purchasing a consumer level product and asking for consumer level support.  Without Dlink commenting on "we are looking into it", people feel ignored and that their problems are dismissed.  

Very Basically:  DNS is what i used to translate an hostname like www.google.com into an ip address like XX.XX.XX.XX.  When you visit a website for the first time on your computer, it has to look up the ip address based on the address you give it.  It then stores that information temporarily on your computer.  Your internet provider provides DNS servers that provide your computer with this information.  By using DNS relay, instead of connecting to those servers, your computer asks the router for this information and then the router connects to your isp to get it. The information is then relayed through the router to your computer.

This feature was broken in 1.21 I think and then was fixed officially in 1.31.  Although it was fixed, it seems like there is a new issue.  This corresponds to the symptoms people are seeing.  It works when you reboot, and then over time (as you make more DNS requests), it starts to slow down to a crawl to a freeze.

So everyone should see if turning it off fixes this issue.

[edit]
I will also like to say that apparently the DNS relay in the 655 isn't cacheing so I am not even really sure what the point of DNS relay on the 655.

DNS caching means that if computer1 went to google.com, the router would get the DNS information and store it until it expires.  Then when computer2 went to google.com, the router would already have the information and provide that to the computer.  This would save the router from having to get that DNS information a second time.

However, since its direct, the router has to connect to the isp dns servers everytime there is a dns request.  So really there is no point in using DNS relay.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:22:43 AM by mackworth »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2009, 08:25:54 AM »

It's a consumer level conveinance thing. We implemented it so that the router would be a known DNS agent plus it enables advanced DNS.

For all those that are suffering from the DNS slow down, can you confirm that advanced DNS is disabled?

Msradell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2009, 08:26:18 AM »

I tried turning off DNS relay to see if it helped and when I did I couldn't no longer connect to the Internet?  Turned it back on and I could connect again?  How, or should I say why do I lose Internet connectivity by turning off DNS relay?  

frogywill

« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2009, 08:34:16 AM »

Where is DNS relay turned off?
"Advanced DNS Service" is turned off here, but can't find anything about DNS relay.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:10 AM »

I tried turning off DNS relay to see if it helped and when I did I couldn't no longer connect to the Internet?  Turned it back on and I could connect again?  How, or should I say why do I lose Internet connectivity by turning off DNS relay?  

When DNS relay is off the PC will need to renew it's IP address. You can simply restart the computer or you can repair the connection.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2009, 09:06:20 AM »

It's a consumer level conveinance thing. We implemented it so that the router would be a known DNS agent plus it enables advanced DNS.

For all those that are suffering from the DNS slow down, can you confirm that advanced DNS is disabled?

What DNS slowdown are you referring too?  Are you referring to the problem this thread is based on or something else? 

I had DNS relay on and advanced DNS off and securespot off.  With DNS relay on, the router would eventually get so slow it would just freeze, the only way to get it back was to reboot.  Is that the problem you are talking about?  Cause thats not caused by slow DNS queries.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »

I had DNS relay on and advanced DNS off and securespot off.  With DNS relay on, the router would eventually get so slow it would just freeze, the only way to get it back was to reboot.  Is that the problem you are talking about?  Cause thats not caused by slow DNS queries.

PLease tell us the most important part you left out....: did turning off DNS relay solve that issue for you?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2009, 10:25:06 AM »

PLease tell us the most important part you left out....: did turning off DNS relay solve that issue for you?

Sorry.  Yes, it seemed to fix the that specific issue although now that i am not restarting it everyday I seem to be running into other "stutter" type issues where my connection to the WAN seems to pause.

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »

Just happened again, and I managed to save a log.... many IP Protocol 6 and IP Protocol 17 errors and a DNS relay ALG rejected packet error.  I can send it via PM to an admin if they want it.  My router is currently slowed dramatically and it took me 4 min to get to this site to post this.  I'll try and relay every setting I have configured although its tough because connecting to the router right now is slow and intermittent...

DIR-655 A4  1.30 NA
mixed g & n  (SSID invisible)
DNS Relay is enabled
DCHP enabled w/ static ips reserved
WPA2 only enabled
MAC filtering enabled
SPI enabled Defaults (UDP address restricted, TCP port and address restricted)
Advanced DNS disabled
WISH inactive
Wifi Protected setup disabled
QOS inactive
Securespot disabled, no Port Forwarding, no application rules, disabled uPnP, no routes set up.

EDIT:  Additionally, I can no longer get to the GUI to login to the router from both the hardwired and wireless desktops.  I get a white screen with Please Try Again, or Connection: Close.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:50:49 AM by anonposter »

alphad

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2009, 06:01:18 PM »

I can confirm that my advanced DNS is disabled. 

cbhiii

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »

I too am now stuck with this v1.31 problem. No longer is my network reliable. My unit will reboot on it's own or simply lock-up and prevent LAN access for no apparent reason.

Is there anyway to go back to a previous version? If so, please tell me how. I run a weather server and a few other community services that are now longer reliable because of this problem.

I can't believe that this is an official release and not some sort of beta version.

I run with Adv DNS disabled and SecureSpot disabled. WPA only on main WLAN w/ guest WEP WLAN as well. What other kinds of data do you require to help me?

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »

I too am now stuck with this v1.31 problem. No longer is my network reliable. My unit will reboot on it's own or simply lock-up and prevent LAN access for no apparent reason.

Is there anyway to go back to a previous version? If so, please tell me how. I run a weather server and a few other community services that are now longer reliable because of this problem.

I can't believe that this is an official release and not some sort of beta version.

I run with Adv DNS disabled and SecureSpot disabled. WPA only on main WLAN w/ guest WEP WLAN as well. What other kinds of data do you require to help me?

In the router go to the setup tab, network settings, uncheck enable DNS relay and save settings. reboot router.
A temp fix until the techs can figure out the issue.
Worked for me and a few others, may for you also depending on your setup or config.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:46:09 PM by jason1722x »

cbhiii

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »

In the router go to the setup tab, network settings, uncheck enable DNS relay. reboot router.
A temp fix until the techs can figure out the issue.
Worked for me and a few others, may for you also depending on your setup or config.

Thanks so much for the response!

I thought people were talking about disabling the Advanced DNS Service as the fix. I didn't realize that the DNS relay was hidden on another screen. Thanks again so much! I hope it works.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21