• May 22, 2024, 11:10:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Freezing router?  (Read 195501 times)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Freezing router?
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »

If someone can relay what print screens I can provide and to whom, I'd be more than welcome.  It's tough to catch some screens after the fact because the router reboots and loses the logs.

Logs can be sent by email, let's say every 5 minutes. Just create a schedule (or more) and mark the checkboxes in Tools - Email settings ;D

I was aiming more at screens from the router setup chapters.

I've contacted Lycan with this idea. I think it's time to get some input about the different configs to the Dlink tech guys.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »

I'm not sure what's going on. I *thought* I could reproduce it by re-downloading moblin beta2 which seemed to work, or so I thought. BTW it was through HTTP that the download was happening, but even then, since the router konked out, the download failed anyways.

When this happened (at the time of my most recent post), it was only I on the network and only that download happening, no torrents either.

I'm trying to figure out what could be going on. I'll will see if I can reproduce it. There were 3 other wireless networks on Channel 1, at the time, since then I moved it over to another channel with weaker signals, just in case. I don't know if Wireshark will provide much detail to work with what could be the cause of the problem. I still think a widget or something to view cpu/mem/process information may be helpful to see IF the router is becoming too bogged or if there is some sort of memory leak.

staticfree

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2009, 10:01:12 PM »

I bought a new Dlink DIR-655 A4, it came with firmware v1.20 installed and I have not experiences any of this slow down or instability with mine.  But from what I've read so far on this forum thread, it sure sounds like they have some sort of memory leak problem in those affected firmware releases.

To Dlink firmware developer(s), you should check your code to ensure that there are no memory allocation spaces being overwritten.  Example is where you might have allocated a fixed array or table size and due to circumstances during use your program code fills up the array to its limit and tries to write more data to the array overrunning its bounds.  Therefore it will start writing data into another reserved memory space and corrupt other data or code.

If it is a memory leak, that means you are not properly freeing up allocated memory when some "repeatedly used" routine is done using the memory space.  Therefore it leaves the unallocated memory in place (using up memory) and when the routine is called over and over again to allocate memory for itself, it gradually eats up all the available memory and ... CRASH!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2009, 12:20:59 AM »

Most of these issues started with the new core/SDK from Ubicom being updated with 1.3x. So I'm thinking either the Ubicom update is flawed or the firmware needs more of your story; because of the changes in th new Ubicom core/SDK they cannot 'copy & paste ' anymore. They tend to do C&P quite a lot,...

sboardsti

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2009, 08:12:14 AM »

I too am having the same problem every couple of days my DIR 655 A2 1.31NA router will become non-functional and I have to reboot.

How soon do you think DLINK will release a fix to this, quite annoying.

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »

Pull out Atheros MiniPCI (A1, A2, A3) out and re-seated it.

Did 180 seconds reset.
First 30 seconds press reset
Second 30 seconds unplug the power cord and still press reset
Third 30 seconds plug in the power cord and still press reset
Fourth re-flash to 1.31NA
Fifth 30 seconds press reset
Sixth 30 seconds unplug the power and press reset
Seventh 30 seconds plug in power and press reset
Now ready to use the router.

It's working no issues..
LAN Zone | Twitter @ tipstir | Youtube @ tipstir | Facebook @ tipstir

DIR-655 A3 1.11 APNs | DP-301U (3x)

sincity

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »

I just tried Tipstir's idea and will post back in several days under this topic if problem still exists.

@Tipstir: Are you still running your upgraded chip or the original one. I ask because i seen ur topic at dslreports

myxiong202

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »

CHEAK YOUR LAN.
Charmed dvd
Cold Case dvd
[url=http://www.dvdcollects.com/products/Criminal-Minds-Season-1-3-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2009, 10:06:53 AM »

I think what people are not understanding is that this is an issue "over time".  I can certainly reseat something, 30/30/30, reboot, stand on my head, worship a false idol, whatever... and I will get it up and running every time.  However, after a few days of working fine, there is a point in time where I will get diminishing returns until it freezes.  I will certainly try Tipstir's approach as well as Eddie's scheduled emails.  With that said it is very hard to reproduce.  I can relay every setting and screenshot if Dlink wants to try and recreate our issue.

I thought it was only affecting myself, but after reading this board and dslreports, it appears it's not completely atypical.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »

i'll let you know again, in two/3 more days to see if i have to rest it. :)

HazardX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »

My A4 running 1.22b5 (I think its b5) currently has had its wan connection open for "51 Day 5 Hour 41 Min 39 Sec" (and increasing, obviously).

But, I'm sure "my setup" has little to do with why its so. I've got a static WAN port to another internal-network range, my wireless is off (location of router makes wifi useless, but I got it for gigabit anyway).

I know if I try to change the ntp server, the thing crashes (in an infinite loop, as best I can tell its because it tries to update NTP while doing the uplink measurement). I recall (approximately) 2 months ago when I updated the firmware that it gave me ABSOLUTE HELL about "measuring uplink speed" even -AFTER- I'd disabled the setting in the menu to do so. I know that if I turn on DNS relay I get more mdns resolution failures than with it off--but in my case turning off DNS relay just means that it hands off the IP address of the upstream router (also in my larger network) for DNS, which isn't really a problem.

Effectively I only use the thing as a logging firewall + DHCP server for this subnet. At this point things *SEEM* to have become stable enough to be acceptable, even though mdns occasionally fails for no reason (which I've now been attributing to OSX being confused by the double gateways).

But, I assume the most significant difference between my setup (aside from the uptime) and anyone else's that isn't working is the disabled wireless.

I still wish the 655's DHCP server behaved more like the one found in the DI604/614 router(s) however simple/broken they were they allowed machines connected though wireless and wired to switch connection media without dropping connections (I'm not sure how, but the DI604/614 did hand out the same address to both interfaces, and somehow between OSX/Linux/Router they kept it straight as to who was connected to where or whatever). /end tangential rant/

That was alot longer than I'd originally intended to write, oh well. Hope some feedback on a setup that seems to *work* (as screwed up as it is) might help somebody somehow.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2009, 12:22:35 AM »

Can anyone comfirm this problem is being looked at by the engineers?

DCIFRTHS

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2009, 12:43:49 AM »

Can anyone comfirm this problem is being looked at by the engineers?

I have been looking for that confirmation myself...

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2009, 08:27:08 AM »

Ubicom products DO NOT have crash resets. The 30/30/30 that you guys are referring to does NOT effect 625/628/655/4500/825/855 model routers.

IF your unit is locking up at specific intervals throughout the day, I suggest a syslog program on a hardwired PC that way you can capture the logs before the unit fails. With the logs you should be able to determine the point of failure.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »

Ubicom products DO NOT have crash resets. The 30/30/30 that you guys are referring to does NOT effect 625/628/655/4500/825/855 model routers.

IF your unit is locking up at specific intervals throughout the day, I suggest a syslog program on a hardwired PC that way you can capture the logs before the unit fails. With the logs you should be able to determine the point of failure.

I bet they will start debating that it does work.  ;) Those things are called 'myths'.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21