• June 15, 2024, 11:58:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Freezing router?  (Read 196275 times)

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
Re: Freezing router?
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »

I have to disable the DNS to stop the Dir-655 from freezing up, dropping packets, slow speed...etc..

No I not talking about the release and renewing of an IP.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2009, 02:16:52 PM »

An interesting point to investigate is the role of DNS relaying in either the WAN configuration or PC client config. There could be a conflict there....
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2009, 02:37:41 PM »

I feel like something must be up in the router for this to be happening.

I have a mix of windows, linux, xp, vista, and macs and its happening to everyone.  I am going to turn of DNS relay and see how it works.  Maybe something is wrong with the fix to DNS relay added in 1.22B05 and our router configurations.

MrFreshy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2009, 05:10:57 AM »

Add me to the list of people with this issue.

My 655 has been rock-solid for over a year, and since updating to 1.31, I have had to reboot every couple of days.
DNS relay? That is off.
I have an A3 revision.

My network is as follows ::

1 Windows Home Server (wired)
1 XBox 360 (wired)
1 HP Network Laser printer (wired)
1 XBox 360 (wireless)
1 Tivo (wireless)
1 Macbook (wireless)
1 Windows 7 laptop (wireless)
2 Windows XP laptops (wireless)
1 Macbook Pro (wireless) -rarely used-

I torrent, usenet, play LIVE!, stream Netflix, etc.

As I said, I have had no issues at all until the update to 1.31.
NONE.
It is not me, it is you, fix please thanks.  ;)

Scrawner

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2009, 06:19:21 AM »

I've the same problem now too.  A2 Hardware.  1.11 hadn't rebooted in 90 days prior to taking the 1.31 plunge. Now I've rebooted 3 times in the last week or so.   Admin page becomes inaccessable, no new connections can be initiated.

However, my IPSec VPN tunnels to work strangely continue to function -- perhaps this is a clue.  The WAN router is not completely frozen up.

mneddy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »

Reboots are not the only problem. After the upgrade on A3 RTSP (over HTTP or UDP) is very glitchy and slow.

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2009, 06:38:52 AM »

It's the Atheros chips on the miniPCI can't be the firmware it has to be hardware related issue. Two routers using Atheros one miniPCI A3 and the other like A4 integrated both show the same signs of issues. Disabling the DNS Replay isn't a good idea for a workaround. I just disable the wireless and use third party Wireless N Router with Wireless Access Point option. That disables all DHCP, NAT an etc and you just got Wireless Access Point with a Gig Green Ports. I've tried Broadcom it's okay but Ralink give more signal strength, wireless range and distance. No need to use DD-WRT firmware gear that support that.

Gone is the wireless issues weak signal, 404, slowness, freeze, drops an etc.. I can now access my business web site on my ISP host through wireless. I couldn't do that with Atheros, prior I could but slowly it won't connect it just times out from the router.

Now keeping the DIR-655 A3 as wired router and using third party Wireless B/G/N in mix mode, auto channel, auto width, 20/40Hz Protect Mode disabled (if that is on none of the systems can see the AP).

LAN Zone | Twitter @ tipstir | Youtube @ tipstir | Facebook @ tipstir

DIR-655 A3 1.11 APNs | DP-301U (3x)

Skyweir

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »

Was rebooting every 1.5 days, now up 3 days and counting with DNS relay option turned off.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2009, 09:20:01 AM »

Four days, and had to restart the wireless. Pictures below show what I come to after a period of timeout trying to connect to the router. Log file is included as a text file as well. Noticed that the router was dropping  and blocking packets from and to my machine, as well as dropping DNS traffic.

The only thing that was going on at this time was I was downloading moblin beta 2 from www.moblin.org. Not sure if it was through the HTTP method or FTP. But the download was only going at 380Kb/s out of 600Kb/s that is my cap. Not to mention, I could be using all the WAN bandwidth, should not interrupt local traffic whatsoever out of a 300MB connection.

http://cid-b8468fd3ff19d4bc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/docs/Gatewaylog.txt

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:22:36 AM by lotacus »

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »

I've seen this before. Are you seeing wired or wireless? Do a hard reset and hold it for 90 secs. Then release.  Do this with power on and remove all WAN/LAN port connections. If it still does it. Take that router over to a friends house connect it directly to their PC. If you still see the above. Then the router has issue.
LAN Zone | Twitter @ tipstir | Youtube @ tipstir | Facebook @ tipstir

DIR-655 A3 1.11 APNs | DP-301U (3x)

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »

Are you running jumbo frames on your LAN?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »

Your download speed also depends on the upload speed the FTP or HTTP server has to offer.  And that does not always equal your home bandwidth. So that would not necessarily be the cause.

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »

YES!!  I'm not going crazy.  I'm seeing the exact thing on my A4 running 1.30 (DNS Relay on).  Every couple of days my router goes kaput and i can't browse to the 192.168.0.1 to see whats going on.  Unfortunately the only way to bring it back was to reboot the router (and sometimes i think it rebooted on its own due to some failsafe error).  That would kill my logs and I couldn't see what was happening right before it died.  However today I saw the "slowdown" beginning to happen so I immediately went to the logs to see what was being reported.  I saw EXACTLY what lotacus's logs report on my router as well:

Dropped Packet... IP Protocol 17 (50 - 100 lines)
Dropped Packet... IP Protocol 6 (50-100 lines)
DNS Relay ALG rejected packet ( 50-100 lines)

After 5 min of above, the router ceased to work and I had to pull power from the router to reset.

Here is my network at the time of the failure...
Cable modem > wired > DIR-655
DIR-655 > wired > desktop pc
DIR-655 > wireless > laptop
DIR - 655 > wireless > DAP-1522
DAP-1522 > wired > desktop pc (was not on at the time)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2009, 01:53:23 PM »

Perhaps it is a good idea to send the board mods a detailled oevrview (printscreens?) of settings and paired modems. Perhaps they can reproduce the issue with this info. Just saying because I have a hunch they really are not able to reproduce...

anonposter

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »

If someone can relay what print screens I can provide and to whom, I'd be more than welcome.  It's tough to catch some screens after the fact because the router reboots and loses the logs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21