• June 15, 2024, 03:23:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Permissions for "all"/anonymous  (Read 70825 times)

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
Re: Permissions for "all"/anonymous
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »

I just formatted two 1.5T drives after upgrading to firmware 1.01.
Once I set any type of permission on the dns-321, the r/w to ALL for volume_1 is removed and access to volume_1 is denied for everyone (at least if your password is more than 10 chars).

To make matters worst, my account has a 11 character password and I heard it has to match the password you enter for that account on the dns-321.  Why?

So I left everything opened for now after doing a factory reset (HD is not wiped out).

Those that are restoring their configuration - sometimes you have to reboot twice for the permissions to "take" correctly.  Don't ask me why, it just works.  So if you have a configuration which worked and you restored it and it did not work, reboot one more time.  It'll work.

I like the permissions model on my maxtor shared II nas better.  I can assign user a folder with username and password.  No matter who you are, if you enter the correct username and password you set up on the maxtor when windows ask for credentials, it just works...

For example, say I'm logged in as "Mad max".  I have a folder on my maxtor NAS called //maxtor/usr/garyh.
If I try to explore or use that folder, it will ask for username/password for garyh.  I set it up on my maxtor as:
username: garyh
password: blah

if I type that in when windows ask for credentials, I'm in! doesn't matter if I'm on as "mad max" or "garyh", it just works!
Gary

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 01:53:38 PM »

I will see about posting the shipping firmware 1.00 on the support website today
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 11:23:47 PM »

The only way that I could get this to work was to set the DNS-321 to the factory defaults and then add the permissions that I wanted.  I did not delete the default "ALL" permission.  I added a new permission to my media folder with All Users set for R/W access.  I then changed the Volume_1 R/W access to Read Only so it could be read, but not changed.

It appears that when you delete the Volume_1 "ALL" access, the DNS-321 then requires passwords on all access.  I could be wrong about this as I did not spend a lot of time with it.

The problem with the perrmissions comes about if you reboot/restart the DNS-321 - you may loose your permissions.  If you save this configuration and then try to re-load it, your permissions may be lost in certain circumstances and you will have to start over with the default configuration.  It even looses the Volume_1 "ALL" permission.  This appears to be an issue with certain configurations of RAID.  I have this problem and I am using two 250 Gb drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

In order to deal with the permissions disappearing on a reboot/restart I do the following procedure:
- Set DNS-321 to default values.
- Set up network, FTP, UPnP, iTunes server, and all other paramaters except for the permissions.  Leave the initial Volume_1 "ALL" permission.
- Once I have all that working, I save the configuration.  This will allow the configuration to be re-loaded and at least have a decent starting point.  Save this on the local drive because you won't have access to the NAS files until the configuration is reloaded because the Volume_1 "ALL" permissions is gone.
- I then set my permissions the way I want them and I'm done.

If the DNS-321 is rebooted/restarted, you will have to re-load the basic configuration and then re-set your permissions.  A bit of a pain, but it does work.  My DNS-321 is on a UPS so it does not shut down.

I'm hoping that D-Link will be able to troubleshoot this and help us solve this issue.  Other than this one problem, I am quite happy with the DNS-321.  It serves my purposes quite well.

Interesting.. this is what I do as well.  I just got this box and am going crazy over the permissions issue.
My Maxtor NAS works great and permissions works as expected.  I thought the dlink NAS was better? I guess not.
Gary

jumboframe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 11:10:43 AM »

I can confirm that reflashing with firmware 1.00 brings back the ability to restart/shutdown the DNS-321 and retain user groups and file/folder permissions.  I currently have a RAID1 setup using two 500GB WD RE3 drives.  This should work fine for users working with drives 1TB and smaller.  Hopefully the next firmware update will support retaining file permissions for 1.5TB drives.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »

OK guys I have finally replicated your issues with the permission my unit was just not doing it for some time and now I cannot save my permission rules after I reboot the rules are cleared. Also I see once I add a user or group to the Network access rules I am unable to assign another folder access to all users.

Does anyone have a Rev A2 unit seeing this issue?

jumboframe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 02:01:34 PM »

ECF,

My DNS-321 is hardware Rev. A2 and I experience those issues with firmware 1.01.

dlandon

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »

OK guys I have finally replicated your issues with the permission my unit was just not doing it for some time and now I cannot save my permission rules after I reboot the rules are cleared. Also I see once I add a user or group to the Network access rules I am unable to assign another folder access to all users.

You've got it!  That's the problem.

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »

A2 here as well. All issues are present as per spec. =)
Can we hope to get them fixed in the next firmware? When did you say we can expect it? ;)

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »

btw found another glitch. this one is just on the funny side (comparing to the rest of them).
I have 321 setup to send me status email daily on a 24-hour interval. It does send email. But I wouldn't call it 24 hour interval. It's anywhere between 20 and 32 hours. You never know what time of day (or night) you'll get this email.
The time/clock is stable, but wrong - one hour ahead using ntp1.dlink.com NTP server and -5 EST timezone.

Another thing that puzzles me as a professional in user interfaces/usability/webapp assessments is that checking box for "system temperature exceeded XXX" would cause 321 to shut down when the temperature gets this high. These are clearly 2 totally different functions (alert and shutdown control) that are stuffed into one UI element. I do want to get emails when temperature rises to certain level (if only to monitor how often it does so) but even if I wanted to shut it down this would be a higher temperature for sure.

The whole interface is a typical "programmer's UI". It has a potential to become much-much better in terms of usability and convenience. Which would then directly translate into better customer satisfaction. It's amazing how just a bit of attention to the web application UI and usability translates into the jump in the sales numbers. In general we found that for our clientelle UI fixes have one of the highest ROI between many things you could do to the web application.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »

Weird thing happens. I downgraded to 1.00 firmware them back to 1.01 and it is now saving my permissions again. I cannot get my unit to display this bug anymore. I don't know if it need a certain amount of uptime before this fails or what very odd. Another thing I found is that this issue seems to be linked with a fan issue. When my unit was not able to save the permission settings the fan would never shut off. but now that it is working again the fan is now shutting down when the device is cool. If anyone else is still playing around with this please revert back with your findings.

Freeman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 06:48:32 PM »

I have a DNS 321 firmware 1.01 and a DNS 323 Firmware 1.06. I can confirm that the missing All Accounts checkbox issue occurs on the DNS 321 and not on the DNS 323. As stated in an earlier post this section from the web page source may explain why, it's found in the DNS 321 web page source but not the DNS 323:

Code: [Select]
function ChkSecurity()
{
//to show All accounts or not
var security='USER';
if(security=="USER")
document.getElementById("all_account").style.display = "none";
else
document.getElementById("all_account").style.display = "";
}

If you reset the DNS 321 the All Accounts check box re-appears and the Volume_1 permissions are set to ALL. It seems once you create a user account, add additional shares, in my case sub folders on Volume_1, and restrict them to a user the box disappears when you save. The Volume_1 share has disappeared as well and has to be re-added, unfortunately without the All Accounts checkbox option.

I hope D-Link can sort this out. There are some areas I want password protected but for simplicity's sake others I do not. The new firmware 1.06 for the DNS 323 does not have this problem and yet contains a very similar base feature set. I've noticed that though the web administration pages contain a similar layout by opening the DNS 321 and DNS 323 pages side by side that font sizes and displayed text are laid out a little differently. Maybe by comparing the web source for both devices these issues can be ironed out?

In regards to the disappearing file permissions on reboot I have noticed strange behaviour but not confirmed anything. As stated in another post, my D-Link DNS 321 has been powering down suddenly which may be due to the temperature threshold email alert. It's currently set at 50C. The DNS 323 has also been set to send an email alert at 50C but has not displayed this behaviour though the two WD 1TB drives do run at a lower temperature. I haven't noticed any lost permissions when I power the DNS 321 back up ( yet ).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:15:03 PM by Freeman »

dlandon

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »

Weird thing happens. I downgraded to 1.00 firmware them back to 1.01 and it is now saving my permissions again. I cannot get my unit to display this bug anymore. I don't know if it need a certain amount of uptime before this fails or what very odd. Another thing I found is that this issue seems to be linked with a fan issue. When my unit was not able to save the permission settings the fan would never shut off. but now that it is working again the fan is now shutting down when the device is cool. If anyone else is still playing around with this please revert back with your findings.

Ok, I've done some experimenting today and here is what I did and the results:
- Started with Firmware 1.01.
- Saved working configuration with all my permissions.
- Reset to default factory settings.
- Downgraded to firmware 1.00.
- Reset to default factory settings.
- Upgraded to firmware 1.01.
- Re-loaded saved configuration.

The permissions are not being saved, just as before.  A new issue has come up though.  The FTP quota limits that I set do not re-load from the saved configuration.  The quota used does return once I re-set the limits for each user.

The fan does appear to turn off as it is supposed to with firmware 1.01.

I suspect that there are issues with the variable space being incompatible or conflicting.  Maybe there is residue left over when upgrading causing some of these issues.

As noted before, when I load my saved configuration there are no permissions available, and the "ALL" users check box does not show.  Once I do another re-boot the "ALL" check box re-appears along with the "Volume_1 All" users permission and I can set all of my permissions again.

If it would help at all, I can send you a copy of my saved configuration file.  There may be something unique about what I have configured causing these problems.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »

The issue with not being able to create a folder of access to all user after setting a user is confirmed as a bug and will be fixed in the next firmware.

The issue with the network access rules not saving after a restart is an issue but I am unable to determine how to get my unit to have this issue again it seems to be working after I loaded the shipping firmware then reloaded 1.01.

dlandon,

Have you tried not loading your old configuration and just setting up your users right after updating to 1.01?

dlandon

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 03:20:10 AM »

I can try that, but I won't be able to do that until this weekend.  I can't take the FTP Server off line during the week.

So I'll try this:
- Start with Firmware 1.01.
- Factory default settings.
- Downgrade to Firmware 1.00.
- Factory default settings.
- Upgrade to Firmware 1.01.
- Re-enter permissions and see if they will stay on re-boot.
- If they do, I will re-enter all other paramaters by hand and not re-load the saved configuration.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 08:15:55 AM »

Sounds good. Can you tell me any setting you use that aren't default settings? I will set them on my unit and see if the issue starts again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8