• June 15, 2024, 03:52:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Permissions for "all"/anonymous  (Read 70826 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Permissions for "all"/anonymous
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:28 AM »

I just indulged myself and bought a Synology DS209 NAS, and it has no problem at all with anonymous shares and password protected shares on the same box.  It's also really FAST! :)  I need to put the real disks in it now and format it, I just stuck a pair of small ones in to do some testing.

I still would like to see this feature returned to this box, but I'm getting the impression that's not likely...
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

JordiBoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »

Ryder,

I have no idea why you have to take such a condescending tone with anyone who says D-Link is not treating customer’s right.  Many users check the forums ever so often to see if D-Link has followed-up on their promises to fix certain problems.  When we discover those problems are not fixed, why should we not post our thoughts and products that we find that deliver what D-Link promised?

If the products work for you great, I am glad for you.  I don’t understand why that makes you feel so superior to people who have had a product rendered useless for their purpose by D-Link.  I also don’t understand why you waste everyone’s time posting in a thread regarding a problem that you have admitted does not affect you. 

Hope you don’t have a problem with nose bleeds while you charge at your windmills on your high horse. 

Jordiboy,
Yes, I do find that ridiculous, what makes them think that Dlink is not listening to their customers? Is it because they have not gotten their problem resolved as quickly as they wanted? What makes them say "many of us", how many is there? I know I would like the feature back too, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. And I don't see huge amounts of people on here with the same complaint. Maybe there are some, maybe 10, or 50, or 100, but that is a small amount compared to the tens of thousands of units Dlink has sold. And what makes them think that Dlink is not working on the problem? Maybe they are having a hard time solving it, or they just don't have the resources available to do it right now?
But, the part I really find ridiculous is where a few people come to the forum of the company that makes the unit to tell everyone that Dlink doesn't care about their customers. And that they break things and leave customers holding the bag, and that the people have found a unit to do the job they want and it is far better than the Dlink unit, and that they are no longer customers of Dlink. If those people are no longer customers, why are they still haunting the Dlink forums? Are they founding members of the B-W-C Club? Why not take that stuff to the forum for the hardware that is suitable for their needs, they would appreciate that kind of stuff there, right? Tell the world that Dlink is a big bad company at that forum, tell them there that they are no longer a customer of Dlink products. They would not do this in a retail store and expect to get away with it, without being asked to leave the store, or being ejected from it, so why do it here?
These forums are to help folks with problems, to find solutions to what they need to know and in general, to be a help to others that own Dlink products. Telling people that Dlink doesn't care about them, that their products are broken and won't be fixed and telling them that they are a former customer, none of that is any help in any way to others. If they owned the store they would not let people run down their store and their products while standing in their store, so why do they expect to do it with impunity here? Is it because the Net offers them an opportunity to berate a place of business while being anonymous, so they can't be physically thrown out? Probably.
So that Jordiboy, is what I find ridiculous. The fact that they and others can post in Dlink's own forum, telling the world what a bad company Dlink is, how they don't care about anyone and how other companies make better products. Doing something that they wouldn't do in the real world because they would know that it would not be allowed to happen. They should thank Dlink for letting them express their opinions freely, a lesser company would have the posts pulled and their membership yanked. Dlink must feel they can take the criticism, that they have big shoulders or something. I personally would have this form of abuse banned completely, it doesn't make for a helpful atmosphere at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Ryder

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2010, 05:14:32 AM »

Ryder,

I have no idea why you have to take such a condescending tone with anyone who says D-Link is not treating customer’s right.  Many users check the forums ever so often to see if D-Link has followed-up on their promises to fix certain problems.  When we discover those problems are not fixed, why should we not post our thoughts and products that we find that deliver what D-Link promised?

If the products work for you great, I am glad for you.  I don’t understand why that makes you feel so superior to people who have had a product rendered useless for their purpose by D-Link.  I also don’t understand why you waste everyone’s time posting in a thread regarding a problem that you have admitted does not affect you. 

Hope you don’t have a problem with nose bleeds while you charge at your windmills on your high horse. 

Jordiboy,

You sure do seem to enjoy taking a small part of a post and running with it, so here is the last reply that I will post on this subject. Maybe then the post will revert back to telling Dlink that we would like to see this problem (and others) solved in some way. The thread did start out that way, with that intent, and even offered a few "workarounds" to the problem that worked for some folks, in the first few pages here. Then *someone* started in with the "practically useless", "last Dlink product", "showstopper", "don't know why I even try or hold out hope that D-Link will resolve this problem" types of unhelpful, disruptive posts on page 4. Why would Dlink even bother to try to make customers happy when that is the kinds of posts they have to read! Good thing there are other people on here that wrote Dlink some posts of encouragement, to continue to try and find the problem and hopefully fix it. So here is my last post on some people and their "ridiculous behavior" on this forum!

1. Condescending? Superior? Hardly! I consider myself to be no better/worse than anyone else on this forum! I totally agree with posting a complaint when it takes an inordinately long time to fix a problem. The difference is, I do try to see both sides of the coin, even when I have the same problem as others. But, when I see comments like this next one, I find them useless and counter-productive. And WHEN did I admit that this problem has no affect on me???
"D-Link's response will be "the Synology is more expensive", but if D-Link had just taken care of the permission problem, I would have upgraded to the DNS-343 which is within a few dollars of the Synology."
Dlink is right to say the Synology unit comparable to the 321 IS more expensive. And what does this have to do with the 343, isn't this discussion about the 321? As far as I know, and I'm not 100% certain on this, the 343 is based on the 323, and that unit does not have the same problem as the 321.
"The fact that D-Link cares so little about their customers has really turned me into a former D-Link user."
This comment draws the assumption that they care so little about their customers in general, based on what? I have seen Dlink post many many fixes to other problems. But because this particular one hasn't been fixed, so then a blanket statement about Dlink caring so little about their customers is in order here? I think not. Also, if as you said, you are a "former Dlink customer", why are you still here posting unsubstantiated comments? Shouldn't you be on Synology's forums, exclaiming the virtues of that product and flaming Dlink on that forum? Or is it that you feel that you have some kind of right to flame Dlink on their own forum, much like I feel I have the right to say that comments like yours are ridiculous and do not contribute to either finding a workaround to the problem, or solving it. Yes, you have the right to tell Dlink that you would still like the problem to be fixed, that it's been a very long time since the first post and you see no results yet. And you are unhappy about it, much like I am, and have already stated.
NAS = Network Attached Storage. The product is not useless by the very definition of it's name and purpose. It stores my files, in a place that is attached to my network, just as it says it will do. Part of the firmware is now not working properly for SOME people. Not "many" as some have claimed, but have no way to prove.
And finally, yet another comment: "Look at it this way, it only took D-Link about a year to release this firmware upgrade.  Maybe by the time they get around to making this work properly, 5TB drives will be $100 each". And you say that my posts are wasting people's time regarding a firmware problem?
Here are some examples of helpful comments, helpful to Dlink, to show them what their customers want and expect from their units.
"I hope that the behavior will be revisited for the next release of the firmware. I'd really like to have that back...
"Yes, please add it back! Beta or whatever but we're crying for it! I'm just hoping it would be less than a year till we see it."
"I'm with everyone else that not having this feature is a pretty major bug and we're not able to use the NAS the way we'd like because of it.  I hope this is near the top of the list on features to be worked on by the team."  "With that said, thanks to D-Link for the newest firmware release. Glad D-Link is still behind supporting what can be a great product."
"I'd be happy to see some kind of expert mode or "compatibility mode" that allows mixed shares, maybe with a warning popup that dissuades most users from turning it on."
"To my knowledge, this issue has still not been addressed in an official firmware release. It was reported 14 months ago. I add my vote, as an owner of this product, that this is important to me and I want it addressed."
"I'd like to see this corrected, but there was a dance about how it was difficult to do with the present version of SAMBA. I was disappointed when the ability was removed..."
"The frustrating part is that D-Link engineers acknowledged this as a bug in January 2009 and promised a fix in the next firmware. The reason I continue posting is to try to get D-Link to deliver the firmware fix they promised. I still own my DNS-321, I like the design and hardware, and I want it to run as-advertised."
Do you see how these comments from people tell Dlink that they are unhappy customers and would like to have a function restored to their units? And how they are somewhat constructive comments. They do not whine at Dlink and tell them that they have not fixed the problem, so the "former customer" has moved on and bought something else from some other company, and how wonderful the competitor's product is. And then continued the discussion of the merits and prices of the competitor's units. Do you realize that in some forums it is not even allowed to mention a competitor's product, and doing so will get your posts edited or deleted completely? Dlink's forums are not the place to discuss the competitor's products at length, and how wonderful they are, etc etc. And it is not the place to make unsubstantiated claims about how Dlink doesn't care about their customers because there is a bug that they haven't fixed. That, Jordiboy, is what I find ridiculous!
I too have found things I believe are "bugs" in their firmware. And there are things that I think should work differently than they do now. But I don't believe that it helps anyone to claim that they don't care about anyone. Nor that I am now a "former customer", but continue to post here and hype the virtues of another company's product.
Maybe you find a problem with my posts because I try to be fair to Dlink, and I am not on your "slam Dlink" bandwagon? But, as you are entitled to post here and do your slamming, I am entitled to post too, in hopes of showing people that Dlink is not so "horrible and uncaring" as some would make them out to be. A little balance is a good thing I believe. And, if you do not like my posts and the way they add balance to this thread, then you are surely entitled not to read them, just gloss over them and continue on, as I try to do with your posts! And I really do hope that Dlink sees fit to cap this thread after this as it seems to be doing nobody any good anymore!

Again, just my 2 cents (or nickel if charging by volume,  ;) ), as I too am entitled to post.

Ryder
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2010, 06:25:15 AM »

I am also a Synology DS209 owner, but that doesn't mean I don't want D-Link to solve this issue.  I have two D-Link NAS units, the DNS-321 and the DNS-323, and they've given me excellent service, and continue to do so.  For whatever reason, I've never been able to squeeze the performance some folks claim from the products, so I was motivated to try a different brand to compare them.

While the Synology DS209 is arguably a better product, it's also two to three times the price of the D-Link NAS products, so I'd certainly hope it would have more functionality and performance!  You're comparing a Nissan Sentra to a 370-Z here, there are obviously some performance differences!

For the market niche they fill, the D-Link NAS units are a very good product.  Could they be better with some firmware fixes?  SURE!  And we eagerly await some of those fixes. :)  The fact that it certainly appears that D-Link continues to support the product and work on fixes, that's a major plus.  I have two other NAS units that never worked properly with Vista or Windows 7, they're in the closet because those vendors never upgraded the firmware to support newer environments, and never will.

One part of the previous post I agree with 100% is since you're a "former" D-Link owner, I can't imagine why you waste your time here at all!  ::)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]