• June 15, 2024, 06:57:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Permissions for "all"/anonymous  (Read 70827 times)

dlandon

Re: Permissions for "all"/anonymous
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »

Could this be from updating to V 1.01 from 1.00?  I did a reset to factory configuration through the GUI and started over and had the same issue.  I did not do the hard reset with a paper clip.  Is there a difference?

I also reformated the hard drives and still had the same issue.

I have two WD 250 Gb drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 01:23:16 PM »

Please keep us updated. This is a serious issue here that needs to be addressed.

Thanks

Ignem

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »

I have 2 500GB drives formatted as single drives and I also have this problem.  I believe that the option is there, as I can see it flash on the screen for a split second when I refresh the page before it disappears.  However, it is not anywhere on the GUI for me to select once the page loads completely.  I have also upgraded from 1.0 to 1.01.

I can see the html code on the page for the option, but it does not display. 

Code: [Select]
<td width="319" height="27"><div style="display: none;" id="all_account"><input name="all_user" value="ON" onclick="setuser();" type="checkbox">All accounts</div></td>
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:21:10 PM by Ignem »

Ignem

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »

I was able to get the "all users" option working by disabling javascript in Firefox, then refreshing the page.  The checkbox appeared.  I selected it, then manually typed in the folder that I want to share.  I then went back in, enabled javascript, refreshed the page again, and submitted my desired settings. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:34:48 AM by Ignem »

dlandon

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 04:01:07 AM »

The only way that I could get this to work was to set the DNS-321 to the factory defaults and then add the permissions that I wanted.  I did not delete the default "ALL" permission.  I added a new permission to my media folder with All Users set for R/W access.  I then changed the Volume_1 R/W access to Read Only so it could be read, but not changed.

It appears that when you delete the Volume_1 "ALL" access, the DNS-321 then requires passwords on all access.  I could be wrong about this as I did not spend a lot of time with it.

The problem with the perrmissions comes about if you reboot/restart the DNS-321 - you may loose your permissions.  If you save this configuration and then try to re-load it, your permissions may be lost in certain circumstances and you will have to start over with the default configuration.  It even looses the Volume_1 "ALL" permission.  This appears to be an issue with certain configurations of RAID.  I have this problem and I am using two 250 Gb drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

In order to deal with the permissions disappearing on a reboot/restart I do the following procedure:
- Set DNS-321 to default values.
- Set up network, FTP, UPnP, iTunes server, and all other paramaters except for the permissions.  Leave the initial Volume_1 "ALL" permission.
- Once I have all that working, I save the configuration.  This will allow the configuration to be re-loaded and at least have a decent starting point.  Save this on the local drive because you won't have access to the NAS files until the configuration is reloaded because the Volume_1 "ALL" permissions is gone.
- I then set my permissions the way I want them and I'm done.

If the DNS-321 is rebooted/restarted, you will have to re-load the basic configuration and then re-set your permissions.  A bit of a pain, but it does work.  My DNS-321 is on a UPS so it does not shut down.

I'm hoping that D-Link will be able to troubleshoot this and help us solve this issue.  Other than this one problem, I am quite happy with the DNS-321.  It serves my purposes quite well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:38:49 PM by dlandon »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »

I am unable to replicate this issue but I am still looking into it. I have tried 2 standard drives and RAID1 so far but it keeps my settings after restarting the unit.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dlandon

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 05:06:21 PM »

I am using two 250Gb drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

I use the default "ALL" users permission and add sub-directories with "ALL" users permissions.

It looks like this:

Share        Path                                  User/Group Comment Oplocks Map R/W 
Volume_1   Volume_1                            ALL                         no        no  r
NetDrive    Volume_1/NetDrive                ALL                         no        no  r/w
Public        Volume_1/Public                   ALL                         no        no  r/w
AV Media   Volume_1/AV Media               ALL                         no        no  r/w
My Movies  Volume_1/AV Media/My Movies ALL                       no        no  r/w
My Music   Volume_1/AV Media/My Music  ALL                        no        no  r/w
My Pictures Volume_1/AV Media/My Pictures ALL                     no        no  r/w
My Sounds Volume_1/AV Media/My Sounds ALL                       no        no  r/w
My Video   Volume_1/AV Media/My Video   ALL                        no        no  r/w

If I delete the default "ALL" permission and add my other permissions by specified user, I don't have the same problem with losing the permissions on a restart.  But I don't want to have to use passwords for access to the NAS files.  In fact my xBox 360 won't work this way.  There is no way to enter the password for access.  At least I haven't figured it out yet.

I am setting it up this way so applications will see these as shared folders.  This way I can limit access to the various media based on the folder that I specify and not have to sift through everything.  This is important for Media Center on my xBox 360.  I would limit it to seeing "My Movies".  I don't want it to pick up the video in "My Video" that is raw, unedited video and very uninteresting in this form.

Maybe this will help you reproduce the problem.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:43:52 PM by dlandon »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »

Great. let me try this. It may be that the unit is designed to do this because of first rule to share the whole volume to all users and the unit is designed to remove rules that are not needed since the whole volume is shared. However I see why you would want it configured this way for your Xbox and other things so this could be an easy fix in the firmware.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dlandon

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 02:09:41 PM »

So let me understand, the DNS-321 apparently removes what it considers unneeded/redundant/conflicting permissions when it is restarted?  That would explain a lot.  What I'm doing here is not really r/w permissions.  It has to do with file sharing much like in Windows.  I just want to limit the scope to certain files in certain circumstances.  Just makes sense to me to do it this way.

So now maybe you can come up with a firmware fix for this issue.  That's good news.

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »

Ok, but what about not having that "all" option at all?! Right now I have a bunch of shares on DNS-321 but can't give "all" access to any - that option just isn't anywhere! I want to give full or read-only access to specific shares so that no password is asked when connecting to those.

Ignem

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 07:06:35 AM »

Read my previous post; if you disable javascript in Firefox then reload the page, you will be able to see the "all" option. 

(You can disable javascript by going to your 'Tools' Menu, then 'Options.'  From there, select the 'Content' tab, and you'll see a checkbox that says, 'Enable Javascript'.  Uncheck that box, then click OK.)

Select the checkbox, then turn javascript back on.

Reload the page.  Set the rest of your settings as usual.  Submit.  Voila.

Naturally, we shouldn't have to do this, but it is a temporary workaround that was successful for me.

brandon6976

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »

i had the exact same problem after going to firmware 1.01. I'm going to try ignem's suggestion after I figure out how to see the volume again.

Has anyone figured out a way to go back to firmware 1.0 ? This 1.01 is a nightmare.

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »

Thanks. I've done that with user script (again). Somehow reading comments I thought it would still ask for a password but no, seems to work fine for anonymous accounts.

DLink: Here's what I see in the source JavaScript, the part that hides the "all" box:

function ChkSecurity()
{
   //to show All accounts or not
   var security='USER';
   if(security=="USER")
      document.getElementById("all_account").style.display = "none";
   else
      document.getElementById("all_account").style.display = "";
}

No wonder it hides it....

FatherVic

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 10:44:20 PM »

Used the java trick.  I was able to add the permission for the folder, however, explorer is still requesting a login(username password).  Any Ideas?

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »

Does empty password work?
Were you logged on using some other user name before? Explorer is famous for caching those.
Try "net use" command to see if any of the shares are in use. If they are use "net use sharename /delete" to disconnect them first.
Also try connecting to the specific share directly: from Run command enter: \\yourdns321\opensharename
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8