• June 15, 2024, 05:58:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Request fior Firmware fix timeline  (Read 25102 times)

whytetygre

Request fior Firmware fix timeline
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »

D-Link Technical Services, D-Link Home Network Storage Product Manager

D-Link DNS-321
Current Firmware Version: 1.00

Drives
(2)  Seagate     ST31500341AS  1.5 Tb

After Selecting Tools-> Raid -> Set Raid Type and Re-Format

Drives are displayed each with size of 0 GB

Selecting "RAID 1 (Mirroring - Keeps Data Safe) "  radio button and  clicking "Next"
Display shows:
Available capacity for a RAID 1 volume:   -1 GB

Entering any number in the "Enter the desired capacity of the RAID 1 volume: " text box brings up this error;
The size of the RAID volume can only be between 1--1GB

Cannot configure drives in Raid 1 configuration despite Specification claiming:
Support Hard Drive Type   •   SATA* –Any Capacity

Other observations
JBOD - Fails
Raid 0 - Fails
Standard - Works.   Each drive shows Total Hard Drive Capacity:    1475704 MB

Unable to complete competitive NAS review due to incomplete features

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Request fior Firmware fix timeline
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:03:32 AM »

Working on an update now. Already working with two Seagate 1.5 TB here in lab.

No timeline is available as of yet but will keep you posted :).

29engineering

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »

I got bitten by the "any drive" thing also.

2 nice 1.5 TB drives in the box, same symptoms as the OP.

Not counting past 1024 nicely, huh?  :)

Any timeline for a fix would be appreciated.

snowsam

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:36:36 AM »

D-Link guys -- Thanks for pushing this towards the top of the list.

My two 1.5 TB seagate drives just arrived today, so I am now waiting on the same fix.

Sam

shylock

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »

Hi I also have just bought a new dns-321 with two seagate 1.5 tb drives, experiencing same problems as above.  not only that, but also seem to be having the 94% hanging format bug too...been going for awhile now...not even sure it is working.

conjurer

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 10:58:43 PM »

I too, am having the same problems as above with my new 1.5 seagate drives.  Thanks for working on providing us with a solution.  I wonder how many here got their set-ups through the Dell days of deals...I sort of thought Dell was implying that the drives would work with the DNS as they were packaged on the same dell deal...silly me!

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »

I've managed to get 1.0 firmware to format my 2 1.5TB Segate drives (yes, Dell deals!) into RAID1. Those of you using Firefox or Opera (myself) know about user/greasemonkey scrips. Basically you can tweak the javascript to your liking or fix "misbehaving" ones. I was wondering about by -1TB drives (as per DNS321) :) and "helped" the script to do validation based on my real 1.5TB. To my surprise it started formatting drives and at the end (after sitting at 94% for quite some time)  got me full 1.5TB of space.
So looks like device and even firmware is capable but just the client side javascript is.... how to put it... eh... not very scalable :)

2DLINK:
1. you guys need to do a better job on a software side to match good piece of hardware. Think of border cases for any code you write.
2. rule number 1 in web development (that's kind of my bread and butter) - never rely on client-side validations or turst what's coming from the user. Everything coming from the browser should be validated server-side.

PS Still waiting for firmware update with official 1.5TB srive support.
PPS Check your javascript code for 3, 5 and 10GB drives ;)

Chung

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »

Dear D-Link,

???
Please speeed up the new firmware!!! My Seagate Drives 1.5tb (2 of them)arrived 2 week ago.  I too am waiting for the update for Raid 1 to work with the 1.5tb.  I paid a hefty price tag to be uptodate.  It will be bad if the fix comes after the price of the drives drop 20 30%.  ;D
There isn't many people posting requests for the fix, maybe because one has to register to post a request; i certainly notice  a lot of viewing on this post.

Please help!!

>:(

If it take too long the price of the harddrives will drop
Working on an update now. Already working with two Seagate 1.5 TB here in lab.

No timeline is available as of yet but will keep you posted :).

[/color]

mlarma

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 06:25:08 AM »

At least give the fellas with the 1.5TB drives the opportunity to use a beta firmware.  That's the least you could do.  I just got my 321 and two 500GB drives, so I'm set (and still busy copying data to it...will be for about another day it seems). 

I would like it if you guys used FUPPES for UPnP as I used it on FreeNAS and the latest version of FreeNAS' FUPPES was tuned quite nicely in terms of device profiles and worked very well with my PS3.

Anywho, please, even offline, hook those guys up with the 1.5TB drives.

Mark

sm

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:37:41 AM »

ATTN: R!NG0

What exactly did you change using Opera in the source code? Please let us all know so we can get our drives setup for RAID 1
I tried a few different things but could not get it to work.

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 08:33:36 AM »

Now, I'm not sure DLINK would approve these kinds of workaround on their site.
DISCLAIMER: neither DLINK nor myself carry any responsibility for the result and potential data loss and/or damage to the devices in use.

1. enable user java script in opera or greasemonkey script in firefox (I'm not going into details on how to do it)
2. navigate to the showstopper page where it stops you from entering 1500GB size for formatting RAID1.
3. View the source code, look out for the function that sets available size. If I remember it correctly, it's called "reload()". I'm not home right now so can't remember details.
4. create a special javascript file and drop it into user_js folder you opera user javascript is set to. again, look out for tutorials on how to write those. enable it for your d-link's IP only.
5. in this script override the function in question with replacing the call to whatever function is calculating it with plain 1500 value.
6. reload the page
7. If everything works correctly you should be able to enter 1500 in the text field and proceed to formatting stage.

I'm not going to post the thing here. First is DLINK responsibility and second you should really know what you're doing, so this should be enough to get you going (plus you'll learn how to use one of the greatest features in both Opera and Firefox).

For any other questions please dlinkdns321 {at} gmail [[dot]] com

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »

Dear D-Link,

???
Please speeed up the new firmware!!! My Seagate Drives 1.5tb (2 of them)arrived 2 week ago.  I too am waiting for the update for Raid 1 to work with the 1.5tb.  I paid a hefty price tag to be uptodate.  It will be bad if the fix comes after the price of the drives drop 20 30%.  ;D
There isn't many people posting requests for the fix, maybe because one has to register to post a request; i certainly notice  a lot of viewing on this post.

Please help!!

>:(

If it take too long the price of the harddrives will drop

It has only been 10 days since my last post on the subject. We are in the process of verifying the firmware to make sure there are no critical bugs. When our labs have finished verification we can officially release firmware but we do not release firmware the second we fix a bug since we know how much value the data on your drives :)

r!ng0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »

It has only been 10 days since my last post on the subject. We are in the process of verifying the firmware to make sure there are no critical bugs. When our labs have finished verification we can officially release firmware but we do not release firmware the second we fix a bug since we know how much value the data on your drives :)
Especially on those you can't format to use  ;D

conjurer

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

Thanks for the update D-Link...it is appreciated...although I gotta say, r!ngo:

"Especially on those you can't format to use"

....I was thinking the same thing...LOL

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »

I actually laughed too reading back onto the subject. Thanks :).
Pages: [1] 2 3