• June 16, 2024, 12:37:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: New firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?  (Read 240368 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: New firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 05:12:16 AM »

That one's an easy one, no there is no word.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »

This argument is flawed.  If you can still buy it and it is advertised by D-link on their own websites, then it should be supported, plain and simple. 
I agree, the product should do what the manufacturer says it does, mine and plenty of others clearly dont. Dlink couldn't give a stuff, they've got your money, bye bye

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2010, 02:23:10 AM »

I agree, the product should do what the manufacturer says it does, mine and plenty of others clearly dont. Dlink couldn't give a stuff, they've got your money, bye bye
What doesn't it do that was advertised?
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

EricV

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »

I switched mine to debian long time ago. I only lokk here to see if there is something interesting in the new kernel version as it is GPL...

zero13th

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »

any words form moderator or dev teams?

grixx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »

any words form moderator or dev teams?
Nothing at all, they do not even reply to support requests (apart from providing a case ID for the request). This is really poor support .... :-/

doggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 09:14:52 AM »

Guessing they have laid off or moved to other projects, some of the team players that cared at all about the -323? It's amazing they cant even respond to ANY request for updates on what is going on.

Saying there will be no support is one thing. Saying nothing at all, well that is something else, very unprofessional.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:41:00 PM by doggo »

haim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2010, 02:22:48 AM »

I would advise jumping ship :)

I'm using Alt-f now, an alternate firmware.

http://sites.google.com/site/altfirmware/

Supplies brand new kernel, a number of prebuilt packages ready to install, and compatibility with ffp if you are using that.

Plus is under active development and Joao (creator) is a friendly chap :)

I think a new version will be out shortly, so might be worth waiting for that, but otherwise get to it :) 

NOte that it supports only rev B and C boards currently.  If you have an A and would like to help then you could test some stuff for him.

Haim

soulfree75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »

My problem with the DNS-323 Hardware Revision C1 is that the hard drives will not spin down, which means they remain hot which means that the fan never turns off. There is a work around for the fan always being on but apparently (according to support) HDDs not spinning down is a fault. D-link replaced my unit with a refurbished one which does the same thing. HDDs do not spin down, fan stays on all the time. I reported that fault in January 2009, this was the response then:
"I have been advised that this issue will be fixed in the final release however there is currently no ETA.
In the mean time the work around is to change the fan setting to something other than Auto, apply it and then put it back."
This does not help with HDDs not spinning down.

A few days ago I asked for an update to this final release and this was the reply:
"Please note that this bug was set as low priority as the simple work around was to change to the fan to something other than Auto, apply it and then change it back.
Once this fix is performed I cannot see how the DNS-323’s operation is impeded."

I asked what "low priority" means and got no response. Don't hold your breath for a firmware update.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2010, 12:38:22 PM »

Perhaps resources have been diverted to the new DNS-320.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2010, 06:35:34 PM »

My problem with the DNS-323 Hardware Revision C1 is that the hard drives will not spin down, which means they remain hot which means that the fan never turns off.
I have 2 Rev C units both with current firmware and the drives do spin down. Typically they run about 33°C when idle and 38-39°C when active.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

JohnnyDemonic

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »

My problem with the DNS-323 Hardware Revision C1 is that the hard drives will not spin down, which means they remain hot which means that the fan never turns off. There is a work around for the fan always being on but apparently (according to support) HDDs not spinning down is a fault. D-link replaced my unit with a refurbished one which does the same thing. HDDs do not spin down, fan stays on all the time. I reported that fault in January 2009, this was the response then:
"I have been advised that this issue will be fixed in the final release however there is currently no ETA.
In the mean time the work around is to change the fan setting to something other than Auto, apply it and then put it back."
This does not help with HDDs not spinning down.

A few days ago I asked for an update to this final release and this was the reply:
"Please note that this bug was set as low priority as the simple work around was to change to the fan to something other than Auto, apply it and then change it back.
Once this fix is performed I cannot see how the DNS-323’s operation is impeded."

I asked what "low priority" means and got no response. Don't hold your breath for a firmware update.

Just a heads up.  Flashed this on my 323 and lost all connectivity to the NAS.  UNTIL I powered off for a few seconds.  Restarted the box and all worked fine.  Oddly enough my transfer speeds went from 9MB to 15MB per sec.  Nice find.  Thanks. 

krenkey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »

I would advise jumping ship :)

I'm using Alt-f now, an alternate firmware.

http://sites.google.com/site/altfirmware/

Supplies brand new kernel, a number of prebuilt packages ready to install, and compatibility with ffp if you are using that.

Plus is under active development and Joao (creator) is a friendly chap :)

I think a new version will be out shortly, so might be worth waiting for that, but otherwise get to it :) 

NOte that it supports only rev B and C boards currently.  If you have an A and would like to help then you could test some stuff for him.

Haim

do you looae any of the information on the drives when you use this firmware

JohnnyDemonic

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2010, 09:49:55 AM »

I did NOT lose any information on either of my disks. BUT if you have any reservations about it, I would seriously recommend backing up you data first.  Just because I did not lose any does not mean a thing and I was more than prepared to redownload all my stuff.

IMHO, DLink should adopt this firmware and customize it for themselves.

PatrickHuard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »

Johny, this firmware could be nice and I may try it.

I don't really need new features right now but I'm interested in scanner support, could be worth a try. I would also like to know if it speeds up the drive a little?

The only thing I am afraid to loose is compatibility with my printer, HP Color Laserjet 1600. It is not officially supported but it works well with the original firmware.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16