• June 15, 2024, 05:03:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Crashes when Doing Large Copies  (Read 25210 times)

Phils

• Level 1 Member
Crashes when Doing Large Copies
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »

I have looked through pages and pages of threads and have not seen this issue posted before. When I first set up the DNS-321, I had probably 100 GB of files to copy to it. What I have found is that if I try to copy more than 2 to 3 GB to the DNS-321 at a time my computer locks up leading me to have to reset the computer to et running again. If I break it up into 2 to 3 GB at a time, I can usually get through it although when I tried to move about 1GB of photos it locked up so often I really had to break it down into much smaller pieces..

I have a friend who bought his unit at the same time as I did and he also is experiencing BSOD's.

My computer is kind of old (Win XP 1 GB RAM with a 10/100 NIC) so I expect it to be slow. My router is a GB Trendnet seems to rock solid. I have the DNS-321 connection speed set to automatic. I'm not using jumbo frames and I have the AV Server turned on.

My friend has a newer computer with 3 GB of RAM, a 1GB NIC, Vista, and the servers are turned off.

One of my lockups was so severe that it actually caused a checksum error in the CMOS of my computer that I had to fix before it would boot up. I also noticed that some of the lockups coincided with Outlook checking my POP mail which it does every 5 minutes. This never happens when my DNS-321 is turned off.

Any idea what might be going on?

_________

Phils

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Crashes when Doing Large Copies
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »

I copied 800gig of data to the DNS-321 in one shot, and there was no lockups.  I grant you, it took almost a full day, but there were no issues.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Phils

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:51:42 AM »

That's impressive.
I wish I could say the same.
I have about 7,000 songs to copy over and I'm not looking forward to it.
_________

Phils

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:55:12 AM »

If you're getting blue screens, I really doubt this is a DNS-321 issue.

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »

I'm sorry Phils, but I have to agree with GRJ, this does not resemble any issue I have seen a 321 produce with an o/s. I regularly move about 1.1-1.2 TBs of data to and from my 321 and have never had it lock the o/s. As a start point, I would suggest that you go through you PC thoroughly and see what underlying conditions it might be having that could cause this to happen and then repair that first. You could start with a very thorough defrag of your drive. You may have a badly fragged drive and you may also be low on swap file space, it might be set to low. You could also have a corrupt file that your o/s can't deal with when it comes to moving it, so it crashes. Another place to look would be for a faulty memory module that may be giving XP problems when it goes to cache the files. And, it could be your 10/100 NIC card, it may be throwing to may collisions for XP to think the transfers are going reliably All of those things could be causing XP to crash. Also, one other thing, do you actually have enough free space on the 321 to store the data you intend to move? You said you had several thousand songs, but what does that translate to in megs/gigs, are your drives in the 321 big enough or have enough free space to handle that amount of data being moved to them?

Once you have checked out the basics, then report back and let us know your findings. Possibly then someone here can give you more steps to try. But really and truthfully, I cannot recollect any time that I have ever seen a 321 cause XP or any other flavor of Windows to crash.

Good luck with your hunting.

Sincerely yours,
Ryder
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

Phils

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:45:31 AM »

My PC is old but well maintained although anything is possible. I do have a lot of hardware plugged into USB ports and occasionally they don't get recognized but plugging the device into another port usually solves that.

My drives are defragged so that's not the problem. My swap file is on a drive with lots of space although it's limited to 1.535 GB which should be fine for 1 GB of RAM. I could change that setting to let Windows manage it.

Somehow I doubt memory is the issue as I said, I only get these freezes when copying a lot of data at a time. The NIC might make sense so I'd like some suggestions about how to test whether that's happening. As for having space on the 321, I have more than 1.2 TB free space at the moment.

As for the songs I'd like to transfer, it's about 35GB.

The other reason why I posted in the first place is that my buddy with a much more up-to-date system is also getting BSODs with his 321 that he bought at the same time as I did. One thing I will test is to try to copy those files using another computer. The songs are stored 2X (for backup purposes) on a Firewire drive and a USB drive. I'll plug the USB drive into the other machine and see what happens.
_________

Phils

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 06:04:30 AM »

You might try a memory test like memtest86+ for a few hours on that machine.  I had a machine with a bad memory module, and about once a week it would lock up.  Took me a while to run it down, when I finally ran the memory test, it would fail on about every third test pass.  It's been rock solid since the module was replaced.

Phils

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »

Just a quick update.

I started copying my 7,000 songs last night. I used ever-increasing increments and eventually it crashed. In fact it crashed my PC 3 times to be more accurate. My last crash led to a BSOD that cryptically mentioned a driver problem.

I discussed this with my buddy who also had experienced crashes in the past. He told me that he had solved his problem by uninstalling the driver that had been installed in his system when he first setup the unit. I'll look there when I get home this evening.

I'm thinking however that may be something to the memory issue suggestions but I'm not going to have the opportunity to do anything about debugging it properly for the next 10 days as I'll be heading out of town.
_________

Phils

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:11:13 AM »

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.  There is no driver that is required to use this NAS.  I've run many different models of NAS units, including the DNS-321 and DNS-323 that I currently have, and I've never loaded a driver.

If a driver is crashing, you can remove it. :)

Phils

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »

I never loaded a driver either but that's the message my BSOD displayed. There wasn't enough info to determine which driver though. My buddy's thought was that it was actually the UPnP driver and that I should check the device manager and if I find a device, I should dlete it and let my system find it again.

I plan to check it out when I get home this evening. I also am going to force the connection to 100 from automatic to see if that helps at all. My problem is finding the time to do all these things.
_________

Phils

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:42 AM »

The BSOD tells me you have a system issue, not a problem with the NAS.

Phils

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »

Since I seem to be the onlyone with this problem, I tend to agree.
The problem is it only manifests itself when I'm copying to the NAS.
I didn't know about it before.

If a tree falls in the forest....

_________

Phils

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

Have you tried doing similar sized copies to other network machines?

Since the networking components don't know what they're talking to, and don't really care, I still don't see how this is a NAS problem.

Phils

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »

Until the NAS, all the time without a hiccup. I've copied as much as 25 GB from my desktop to my laptop over my network. I have never had a problem that I can remember.

Also, I have never had a problem copying from the NAS to my computer although the NAS is still new and there haven't been many opportunities to do so.
_________

Phils

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »

I'm at a loss.  I can't really think of a scenario where the NAS could cause a blue screen...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4