• June 15, 2024, 03:25:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Crashes when Doing Large Copies  (Read 25208 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Crashes when Doing Large Copies
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »

Ghosts? ;)  That's pretty odd, maybe it needed a "break-in". :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 09:02:21 AM »

Ghosts? ;)  That's pretty odd, maybe it needed a "break-in". :D

Personally, in my case, I think it was the new cable I used. You know how tight the kinks are in them until they relax a bit.  ;)  ;)  ;D
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »

That's it, the knots in the cable...  :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

hexibot43

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »

Well, I can add to your thought, but not in a good way, sorry. I have a DNS-321, a DNS-323, A Win XP Pro desktop, a laptop with Win 7 and a Motorola wireless modem/router, all running through a Netgear gigabit switch. And I also have 4 external hard drives hooked to various machines within this system too via USB 2.0. Everything is gigabit, CAT6 wiring, except for the modem that is 10/100 only and the laptop on wireless.

When I hooked the last piece into the system, the DNS-323, everything else kept moving data as normal, but the DNS-323 wouldn't take more than 100-200 megs without crashing, saying the address that was receiving the data had disappeared. I tested for a few days, moving a 1 gig data file around from all different connections. And then at the end of day 2, out of the blue, the 323 suddenly started to take that 1 gig file in 1 swallow, just like everything else. And it's been fine ever since, about 2 weeks now.

I never changed any of the configs or downloaded/updated any drivers through those 2 days. So, call it a gut feeling, but I am still leaning towards the O/S as being the problems, not the DNS units or the amount of data at any 1 time. I didn't see at any time where I was saturating any of the network cards to the point of collapse.

Just my 2 cents worth, in case it helps anyone else with a diagnosis.

Sincerely yours,
Ryder

:o   That is what I was getting before I did the switch to the 1000 switch!  Like the drive just disappeared!  Once I put the switch in that all stopped.  When I get home tonight I'm going to go and put the DNS-321 back on the linksys wrt54g, and see what happens.  I had thought the switch was the trick.  But maybe it wasn't???  I was getting exactly as Ryder has stated.  And now it no longer happens.  We'll see what happens when I change back to the original setup.  If I can reproduce it, I'll blame it on something other than the NAS.  If I can no longer reproduce it - ahhhhhh!  I will plug it back into the 1000 switch and call it a day for now.  And then I'll figure we've got a firmware issue than perhaps will disappear with the next installment.  One would hope.

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 01:41:57 AM »

That's it, the knots in the cable...  :D

But, it's not knots, that's not it. It's just knot, not knots, not that I can prove it though, and not that it matters anymore, not at all!  ;)  ;)  ;D
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]