• May 23, 2024, 01:26:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: 1.32 Build 3 Shareport issues.  (Read 49174 times)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: 1.32 Build 3 Shareport issues.
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »

"Funny how somebody with working device and software is being classified as a 'fanboy'."

Umm... It's not your device which makes you a fanboy, it's your "dlink-does-no-wrong, 1.32NA-works-great-because-it-works-great-for-me, it's-just-all-you-n00bs-messing-things-up" style posts which make you a fanboy.

I understand that somebody with a working device and software frustrates the "D-link sux" and "the firmware is generically defective". And nobody likes to be called a n00b. But not liking that name doesn't make you an expert. Real experts don't take the easiest option ('it's the firmware (eventhough I really have no idea how it works)") for granted but have a broader scope in order to resolve issues.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

LibertyMark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »

I have never claimed to be an expert, and I haven't really noticed anyone else reporting problems with 1.32NA firmware claiming it either.  And I don't think d-Link sux.  I have been very happy with my router.

It's easy to identify the self-important experts.  They're the ones who throw around terms like n00b and write condesending drivel for posts.

Anyway, I'm done with you.  I look forward to a fix from d-Link.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:20:00 PM by LibertyMark »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »

I can't help it I'm an IT professional. I'll try to mask it in the future and avoid any hint towards being an SME. So much for a user-help-user forum.  ;D
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2009, 08:30:05 PM »

Using the IT professional as an excuse is not a good idea. Being an IT manager means to help others at your site to work out their frustrating problems in case they have any, not to escalate their frustration. You won't last long with the attitude "it works for me so it should work for you, too" from your way of speaking. Thinking that is fine but I bet you know that otherwise is true, too, in a lot of cases.

On a forum, where users try to help other users, it's best to post what you think is the solution. If it works for others, that's good, if not, a simple "sorry, I'm out of ideas." and stop the conversation there will work out much better. That's the best one can do trying to helpful without being on site, IMO.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »

On a forum, where users try to help other users, it's best to post what you think is the solution. If it works for others, that's good, if not, a simple "sorry, I'm out of ideas." and stop the conversation there will work out much better. That's the best one can do trying to helpful without being on site, IMO.
This is the best post I have read here in the past days. Thumbs up !
All other discussions will miss the topic of the thread.

Larkster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »

It seems that this discussion (and the real problem at hand) as begun to stagnate.  Us users who experience the problem don't have any real solutions and are left rebooting our routers every time we want to print; those who don't experience the problem have added diddly squat; and D-Link says it can't reproduce the problem.  Meanwhile the discussion here has been reduced to petty arguing.

MESSAGE TO D-LINK:
If you can't recreate the problem, why not ask for it?  I'm sure someone here would be happy to exchange their router.  Then, you get a broken one to inspect and the user might get a working one (or, in the worst case scenario, they still have the same issue).  If you get routers back and still can't recreate the problem in the lab, well that's helpful too as you would hopefully be able to start isolating the problem.  Let's start moving forward on this?

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2009, 12:03:37 AM »

IIRC, there's someone on this forum said he was able to make his router works with Shareport for 7 days without issue after a reflash. Before he used to have Shareport issue like you guys too. The procedure was simple, reset the router to default settings, and flash the latest 1.32NA on it again, then set everything up manually later. It's worth a shot as some of you guys might had a bad flash, importing old settings from an older firmware version or even upgrading the firmware through wireless.

Nizzhe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2009, 12:50:17 AM »

IIRC, there's someone on this forum said ...

Here it is:

I decided to start over again and redid everything from scratch in an attempt to get Shareport working. I downloaded a fresh version of 1.32NA and the 1.10 Shareport utility directly from the FTP site. I then connected to my DIR-655 A4 over a wired connection and reset it to defaults. Next I flashed it from the file on my PC to 1.32.na "again", and setup all my settings manually. I did not touch any of the hidden settings. Next I installed Shareport 1.10 and setup my printer. Only time will tell, but so far it's been 7 days and its still working. I have only installed Shareport on my main XP Pro sp3 rig that is using a wired connected. The Printer is a Brother HL-1230 with a Centronics to USB adapter on it. If it keeps working for say another week or so I am going to install Shareport on one of my other PCs and see how things go. I definitely think its worth while doing another flash "AFTER" reseting your router to defaults if you are having problems. And as D-Link advises do not flash over a wireless connection. After the flash I went back to static IPs on my LAN and have Secure Spot, DNS Relay, Advanced DNS and DHCP turned off. I'll add to this thread as time goes by with status updates on whether Shareport keeps working or not.
DIR-855 H/W:A2 F/W:1.12EU  -  works like a charm.

stonehead

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »

Using the IT professional as an excuse is not a good idea. Being an IT manager means to help others at your site to work out their frustrating problems in case they have any, not to escalate their frustration. You won't last long with the attitude "it works for me so it should work for you, too" from your way of speaking. Thinking that is fine but I bet you know that otherwise is true, too, in a lot of cases.

Good post!
Thanks!

LibertyMark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2009, 06:42:39 AM »

BTW, the re-flash solution mentioned by alphanumeric didn't work for me.  At first, I was thinking that it was fixed because I was able to print 9 hours after a reboot, which was a long time for me.

But, it turns out that yesterday, about 16 hours after resetting, reflashing, and manually setting-up my router, I had to reboot it to get it to print.

So, I am giving up on printing with shareport with 1.32NA.  If a new firmware comes out, I'll give it a try.  Or maybe I need to spend money on a more robust solution - a printerserver or a network-aware printer.

Grumble.

Techgee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

Has anyone with this problem tried a "beefier" A/C power adapter to see if marginal power isn't the "environmental" issue thats causing this problem?

Seems that better power has solved many problems with this and other wireless routers.  And to me this makes sense, since I believe extra features/processing added in firmware updates would use more power, plus a device being plugged into the USB port would likely draw additional power as well.

The A/C adapter that came with my DIR-655 is 12 volts @ 2 amps.  Something with 2.5A up to 7 amps would probably do the trick (the router only uses amperage it needs, so the extra isn't an issue).

12v adapters with higher available amperage seem readily available for laptops, netbooks, and LCD monitors for $10-20.

I'm not using Shareport or having problems with my 655 (fingers nervously crossed since I've already RMA'd one unit), but would like to see a firmware upgrade path past 1.21.

Anyone having problems tried this?  Of course, don't blame me if you get the polarity wrong or the wrong adapter and burn up/out your router....  ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:08:32 AM by Techgee »

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »

I've had two power packs die on me, one for my old DI-704P and one for an even older 3-Com router. Both were 5V. I rewired a power pack from an old cable modem that was 5V and use it to power the DI-704P. The current rating was higher than the original power pack. I was using the DI-704P as a print server for my laser printer, and will again if Shareport stops working again.

I don't know about the USB port on the router but on a PC by spec its limited to 500ma max current. If you exceed that the USB port shuts down. If you use an unpowered Hub it can be a problem, especially if one or more of the USB devices recharge though the USB port. 

Croket

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »

Hello all,
I've noticed this topic has gone cold for some time.  The new FW release ver 1.33NA has been out for a few months now, I"m wondering if anyone has tried it and if so has it resolved the connection issue?

dir-655 HW Ver A4   FW 1.31

sportytony

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »

I understand this link ran cold for a while and coincidently I've been browsing around for the last 2 days to find a solution to this same problem and am here to tell that on my dir-628 with the newest firmware of 1.23na has the same reported problems ( I see for at least a year) on my windows vista laptop and my mac! I bought this router for this specific reason, to be able to share a hard drive with these laptops. Wired it is fine but wirelessly shareport DOESN"T WORK! Should have done my hw before purchasing I guess or maybe dlink can finally come up with something because in theory it's nice. ??? :-[ :-\

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »

Hi,

If you wanna run a hard drive off this router, pony up for a proper ethernet NAS unit....you will be much happier and productive in the short and long terms...
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]