• June 16, 2024, 06:54:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shareport seems to be working now!  (Read 15038 times)

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
Shareport seems to be working now!
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:24:02 AM »

I decided to start over again and redid everything from scratch in an attempt to get Shareport working. I downloaded a fresh version of 1.32NA and the 1.10 Shareport utility directly from the FTP site. I then connected to my DIR-655 A4 over a wired connection and reset it to defaults. Next I flashed it from the file on my PC to 1.32.na "again", and setup all my settings manually. I did not touch any of the hidden settings. Next I installed Shareport 1.10 and setup my printer. Only time will tell, but so far it's been 7 days and its still working. I have only installed Shareport on my main XP Pro sp3 rig that is using a wired connection. The Printer is a Brother HL-1230 with a Centronics to USB adapter on it. If it keeps working for say another week or so I am going to install Shareport on one of my other PCs and see how things go. I definitely think its worth while doing another flash "AFTER" reseting your router to defaults if you are having problems. And as D-Link advises do not flash over a wireless connection. After the flash I went back to static IPs on my LAN and have Secure Spot, DNS Relay, Advanced DNS and DHCP turned off. I'll add to this thread as time goes by with status updates on whether Shareport keeps working or not.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 03:23:14 AM by alphanumeric »

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
Re: Shareport seems to be working now!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:48:30 AM »

10 days and it's still working. I don't print from that printer every day as a test but I do manually try to connect to it a couple of times a day. I never had any trouble printing when Shareport worked just connecting when it didn't. I have printed a few things now and then and had no problems. As best as I can remember it never worked this long on 1.32NA previously. If anybody else has tried a re-flash as I did above I'd be interested in knowing how it worked out for you, good or bad.

LibertyMark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:20:32 AM »

alphanumeric, I went through your process and it seems I've already seen improvement, but it's early.  I reflashed last night, and set the router back up manually.  This morning I was able to do a test print without rebooting the router.  It was something like nine hours since a reboot that I was able to print.  I have never made it even that long before.  Keeping fingers crossed!

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »

Yeah it's been 10 days and I'm still apprehensive when I go to test Shareport. If I get past two weeks I'll really start to consider it fixed though.

LibertyMark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »

My crossed fingers have failed me.

It turns out that yesterday, about 16 hours after resetting, reflashing, and manually setting-up my router, I had to reboot it to get it to print.

So, I am giving up on printing with shareport with 1.32NA.  If a new firmware comes out, I'll give it a try.  Or maybe I need to spend money on a more robust solution - a printerserver or a network-aware printer.

Grumble.

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:53:08 AM »

Dam thats too bad. I just went to stage two and setup Shareport on a second wired PC. I wanted to wait a little longer but my daughter needs to use the printer almost daily for school work. I've been swapping the printer back onto my old print server when she needs it and it's almost as much of a pain as rebooting the router would be. It should be a good test though as something will actually be printed almost daily.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:01:24 AM by alphanumeric »

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »

Two weeks and two PCs and its still working. I just printed a couple of pages and it connected, printed and disconnected. The only thing I don't have now that I had before is a PC connecting over wireless. My third PC is down waiting for parts so it may be a while before I have a PC on the wireless side of my router to further test Shareport on. I'll post the results when I get it setup again or if Shareport quits again on its own.   

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 12:00:14 PM »

Good thing!

Can we agree that basically the firmware and/or app is not to blame here? I've mentioned this months ago: the flash cleanup routine does not seem to work OK in certain situations. I bet the 1.2x version firmware is the real culprit here since it seems to have some code (necessary for the A4 revisions) that sxxxd thinhs up.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 01:00:33 PM »

I'm getting close to maybe agreeing with you. ;D I'm reserving judgment until I try Shareport over a wireless connection though. I think that some of the problems are the result bad flashes to the newer firmware and using old config files instead of manually setting your router back up after the flash. I'll bet some people are flashing over wireless without realizing they shouldn't. And there will be some that do it over wireless anyway even if they know that they shouldn't. I flashed the same firmware twice but I really shouldn't have had to do that to get good results. A good set of instructions/recommendations for flashing the firmware would probably go a long way in preventing some of these problems. Assuming people follow them that is.  ;)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 02:34:58 PM »

Keep us up to date!
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »

I'll keep adding to this thread as things progress.

Ru-Fi-Oh

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 11:17:47 AM »

There is going to be beta code and a new shareport utility coming out soon. It will be posted here as soon as I get it.

The shareport version from what I'm hearing only works with the DIR-655 beta code (which is 1.32 different build)

Once we confirm it fixes the shareport issue it will be added to the new firmwares across the board with all routers that currently have shareport feature.

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 11:45:08 AM »

Woo Hoo news! Good stuff. (insert thumbs up smiley here)
I'm probably going to swap a stick of RAM from this PC to my other one and try Shareport over the wireless this weekend. If works and keeps working I think I'll pass on the beta code. My router is stable and if Shareport keeps working I'm happy to stay with what I have now. I don't think you will have any problems getting testers though.  ;)

Edited for clarity, The Wo Ho News! comment was not meant to be sarcastic.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:18:36 AM by alphanumeric »

Ru-Fi-Oh

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »

Good mentality there.. I just got the link to post the code.. so this is only for users still having some shareport issues.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=8369.0
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:10:37 PM by Ru-Fi-Oh »

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 06:57:47 AM »

:( It quit again last night. My daughter tried to print something for school and it wouldn't connect. I didn't get a good look at the screen because she only told me this morning just before she was ready to leave. I didn't have time to mess around so I just power cycled the router so she could print her stuff. I'll have to wait for it to fail again to see what actually happened but she told me it just stuck at connecting and never printed.  >:(
Pages: [1] 2