• June 16, 2024, 06:00:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: 1.32 Build 3 Shareport issues.  (Read 49319 times)

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
Re: 1.32 Build 3 Shareport issues.
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »

Interesting isn't it? In my case Shareport worked with the previous firmware. I flash to the newer firmware, use all the same settings I used before (manually entered after the flash) and Shareport doesn't work any more. I even reset to defaults, only entering passwords for wireless etc and it still doesn't work. No settings were changed on any of my PCs. You don't have to be an engineer to know when your car has a flat tire and you don't have to be an IT pro to know the new firmware is f***ed up.   >:(

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »

Interesting isn't it? In my case Shareport worked with the previous firmware. I flash to the newer firmware, use all the same settings I used before (manually entered after the flash) and Shareport doesn't work any more. I even reset to defaults, only entering passwords for wireless etc and it still doesn't work. No settings were changed on any of my PCs. You don't have to be an engineer to know when your car has a flat tire and you don't have to be an IT pro to know the new firmware is ****ed up.   >:(

No your firmware is ****ed up. Mine works fine. Is it so hard to imagine that your problem is not automatically a generic problem? ???

The reason I am reacting (and almost sounding like a fanboy here unfortunately) is that an individual problem or a problem that seems to strike a small group of users is being enlarged as being a generic issue. That's not "problem solving" (what the board is about) but accomodating a platform for useless ranting. Perhaps out of desperation, who knows. But the added value of screaming and ranting to this forum community is really sub-zero.  :(

For your reference: i***roup of white caucasians of let's say 100 are villains and criminals, does that make the rest of the caucasians villains and criminals?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:05:34 PM by EddieZ »
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

LibertyMark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »

I'm new here, but this bickering is silly.

The truth is somewhere between EddieZ's "The firmware works for me" fanboyisms, and the ranters cussing about how evil d-link is.

I have no idea how widespread the problem is.  Forums like this are always overrepresentive of problems, because people come here to report problems!  But, I do believe something is wrong here.  At the very least it is fragile, and simply flashing to the newest firmware causes a functionality that had been working for years to stop working.

I see that EddieZ uses static IP addresses.  I have DHCP enabled.  Maybe that's something.

tonyjk3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »

i just find it hard to believe that with SO MANY people having the SAME problem that NO ONE at D-Link can recreate it. With some many people having the same problem with different hardware versions, different OS, different processors, etc for it to not be a general issue.

stonehead

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »

NIC: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E onboard, driver version 11.10.10.3 on W7 (64bit and 32bit) and Vista (32bit) (10 series driver)
Firewall: Windows own firewall (all Windows)
AV: NOD32 4.0.437 (on all 64-bit and 32-bit Windows)
Shareport
7-port powered USB hub with:
- Printers: 1 Samsung Laser and 1 HP Deskjet
- USB HDD Freecom 400 GB
- Various 4, 8 and 16 GB thumbdrives

Wireless:
2 PC's with Linksys NIC, 1 Acer laptop with Realtek NIC, 1 KiSS wireless mediaplayer, 1 PocketPC 2003, 1 Samsung Smartphone, 1 wirless photoframe

Router config: no guestzone, static IP's, all standard options.

Thanks for the info.
Apparently, nothing special in your setting (except using static IP).
Although I don't have much hope that changing to static from DHCP  fixes the shareport problem,
I'll try it.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »

Thanks for the info.
Apparently, nothing special in your setting (except using static IP).
Although I don't have much hope that changing to static from DHCP  fixes the shareport problem,
I'll try it.

It might. If your NIC is flakey or your OS DHCp is 'off' this might cause disconnects.

diegoalexdiaz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »

Just want to report the same issue (useless shareport not working/connecting after a day or two from rebooting the router), and hopefully my info helps D-Link to reproduce this problem.

Printer: HP PSC 1510.
Computer: Thinkpad T43p (laptop) - WinXP SP3. I typically "hibernate" it instead of shutting it down.

Shareport utility worked great under this configuration till I upgraded to 1.3X firmware + new shareport utility. Since then, as everyone else in this forum describes, it's been a nightmare.

I can't blame the OS or other USB-related stuff going on in my laptop (even hibernation) since this issue just didn't exist before firmware 1.3X.

kthaddock

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2009, 09:15:22 AM »

Final 1.32 has not solved the printer connection problem. Still requiring a router restart in order to prints from any of my 4 machines.
Any one having any luck?

Dir-655
HW Ver A4
FW Ver 1.32

Have you put in your printers IP-adress and locked to that mac adress??
Like this: 192.168.3.102   printer name      00:00:00:00:0a:00 <= MAC-adress on USB port
It's the same if you use LAN-printer......... and other MAC-adress
Then you have always reserved this to your printer.
Working like a charm here  ;D

regards
kthaddock
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:21:30 AM by kthaddock »
ASUS RT-N16  FW: DD-WRT v24 17140-vpn M NEWD-2 K2.6 -kong.
DIR-655 H/W: A3 FW: 1.31EUB02 This FW is working !
Never argue with a burk. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Di-624+ FW: 2.10

MarkG

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »

Adding my own identical experience to others here. I had to upgrade to 1.32 to make streaming Netflix work from my LG Blu-ray box ( it does work great ), but now I have same problem of shareport nonfunctional after a few days. Same symptoms as above: Using the 1.10 utility to try to connect, and it tries, then seems to time out and does not connect, but shows HP printer as available. I too had prior 1.21 firmware working fine.

One difference in my case: I have two DIR655's connected by a bridge. The "master" ( DHCP server , address 192.168.1.1) unit also has 1.32NA ( HW A2 ), but the one set up with SharePort ( 192.168.1.2 ) is the one that does not have DHCP turned on since its just a router / AP. It is HW A4. Regardless, I get the same symptoms as all here. The computers using Shareport are wired to the Shareport DIR655.

I don't understand the last post - you are implying that the USB shareport printer gets assigned a unique IP address? When I display the IP in the Shareport utility of my printer, it is simply the IP address of my DIR655 to which it is attached ( 192.168.1.2 ).

I will also add that I really love the DIR655 except for this problem - that's why I have two of them! :)

Larkster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2009, 11:59:46 PM »

I don't really understand why there is so much discussion about assigning blame to the firmware.  To use an analogy to Windows...

I have a desktop that is ~6yrs old (self built and upgraded in that time) and a laptop that is ~2yrs old.  At this point, I have Vista on both of them and they work fine.  However, sometimes (at most once/week) my desktop resumes from sleep and blue screens.  This never happened with XP and it never happens on my laptop (with Vista).  Now, if separate people owned my two computers, the desktop owner would say, "Vista is crap and broken b/c it blue screens", and the laptop owner would say in reply, "mine never blue screens, so it's clearly not Vista".

In the end, I do believe that it's Vista's fault (although I don't think it's crap like many people like to say nowadays).  I think it is impressive in general that Windows supports so much hardware, but it's obvious to me that my desktop's older hardware just doesn't work as well with Vista.  However, Vista should still be designed to support older hardware and work around any quirks, even if it's the hardware's problem.

My point is that just because some people have working Shareport with the latest firmware doesn't mean that the firmware is just fine.  Obviously us users who have this Shareport issue have something in common that the new firmware is not agreeing with.  Regardless of whether it's actually caused by a particular network configuration, usb device, hardware revision, etc, the fault must lie with the firmware.  If, without changing anything else besides upgrading the firmware, functionality is lost, then the new firmware is to blame, plain and simple.

stonehead

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2009, 10:34:35 PM »

It might. If your NIC is flakey or your OS DHCp is 'off' this might cause disconnects.

Nope. Same problem.
I don't believe that the NICs of every computers (2 desktop and 3 laptops) are flakey,
and that every window OSs ( 2 Vista and 3 XPs ) have DHCP problem...

faragondk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2009, 01:27:55 AM »

I had totally given up on the shareport feature after updating my DIR-655 to v1.31 then later to 1.32 because of the disconnect issue, but after reading on an other thread that the shareport feature was working better after disabling "Enable DNS Relay"  under network settings-->router settings I thought I would give shareport another chance.
I have not been running on this setting long enough to say that it is working perfectly, but it is working much better than before on my setup, I usually couldn't run shareport without rebooting the router for more than 4 hours, but now I am on my second day without any reboot of the DIR-655, and shareport is still functioning. I can disconnect my printer, connect it on another computer, disconnect again, switch the printer of, then on again connecting it with shareport and it still works.

Update: Well, it worked better, but the problem showed up again, it just took longer for it to happen. A router reboot helps to get it working again....for a while.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:22:31 AM by faragondk »

stonehead

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2009, 09:44:41 AM »

I had totally given up on the shareport feature after updating my DIR-655 to v1.31 then later to 1.32 because of the disconnect issue, but after reading on an other thread that the shareport feature was working better after disabling "Enable DNS Relay"  under network settings-->router settings I thought I would give shareport another chance.
I have not been running on this setting long enough to say that it is working perfectly, but it is working much better than before on my setup, I usually couldn't run shareport without rebooting the router for more than 4 hours, but now I am on my second day without any reboot of the DIR-655, and shareport is still functioning. I can disconnect my printer, connect it on another computer, disconnect again, switch the printer of, then on again connecting it with shareport and it still works.

Update: Well, it worked better, but the problem showed up again, it just took longer for it to happen. A router reboot helps to get it working again....for a while.

That's exactly what I have experienced.
DNS replay off improved Shareport working time a little bit, but the problem still there.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »

I'm new here, but this bickering is silly.

The truth is somewhere between EddieZ's "The firmware works for me" fanboyisms, and the ranters cussing about how evil d-link is.

offtopic;
Funny how somebody with working device and software is being classified as a 'fanboy'.

LibertyMark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »

"Funny how somebody with working device and software is being classified as a 'fanboy'."

Umm... It's not your device which makes you a fanboy, it's your "dlink-does-no-wrong, 1.32NA-works-great-because-it-works-great-for-me, it's-just-all-you-n00bs-messing-things-up" style posts which make you a fanboy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7