• June 04, 2024, 12:07:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Love the router, but.....  (Read 8924 times)

Slovak

• Level 2 Member
Love the router, but.....
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »

The oled is really a waste since it doesn't stay on long enough to do anything with. I know it can burn out if it stays on long, but for $200 it ought to stay on longer imo. Another thing that bothers me is you almost can't do anything with the router without having to reboot it for changes to take effect, and it certainly doesn't win and speed races in the rebooting department either. And finally one thing that makes no sense to me is say for example 2 or 3 computers on your home network want to play the same game, you cannot add the rule to open just the specific ports to anymore than 1 computer under advanced>>gaming, it allows the rules for only one ip address. You must add the rule under advanced>>special applications to open ports for gaming for more than one computer. To me that defeats the purpose of the gaming enging, and it also opens those ports to all computers on your home network, whether they are gaming or not.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Love the router, but.....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:39:01 PM »

Why would you need to open inbound ports for multiple LAN machines to play a game? The only reason for opening ports is IN BOUND traffic. Unless all the computers on your LAN were servers or hosts, thats unnecessary.

Slovak

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:43:09 AM »

For example, to play steam servers for cs with my son, there are lots of ports that need to be open to play online for steam and pb, and the only way is to open them as I stated, or you cannot even connect to the servers, or get kicked when you do because the pb ports arent opened.

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:03:34 AM »

since I know for a fact it is not possible to open a port to more than one computer I would say that what you are turning on is called port triggering, which allows exactly what you need, and is not under normal situations a security concern.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

Rad Spencer

• Capt.
  • Level 2 Member
  • Master D's Going Down!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »

For example, to play steam servers for cs with my son, there are lots of ports that need to be open to play online for steam and pb, and the only way is to open them as I stated, or you cannot even connect to the servers, or get kicked when you do because the pb ports arent opened.

Thats out bound traffic man. UPnP should handle that for you NP, I'm failing to understand what your exact issue is.
Yeah, over to disposal area. Heroes always look good.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »

From your post, are you telling us that the router does not allow you and your son to connect to steam and play at the same time?

Have you configured your gamefuel?

Slovak

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:10:25 PM »

Sorry that I have not explained it well. It's not an issue, just was wondering why. Yes we can both connect to steam and pb servers, but only when we add the ports under advanced>>special applications. Advanced>>gaming will not allow me to add more than one ip address to any rule I make, and I thought that was where the gamefuel engine worked, not under special applications. Same for advanced>>gamefuel, onlyt one ip address per rule I add or make.

Slovak

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:59:59 AM »

So how should I configure gamefuel?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:46:08 AM »

You'll want to prioritize the IP addresses of the gaming machines. The lower the priority number, the better.

Slovak

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 06:57:27 AM »

I don't understand. Say I have three computers here, and two are gaming ones. Ip addresses for example ending in say .100, .101, and .102, and only .100 and .101 used for gaming, make .100 number one, .101 number two etc.?
What goes in the protocol section? Leave the remote ip and port range blank I take it?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:48:23 AM »

See if this helps.

http://www.support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2485&question=DIR-625%20/%20DIR-635%20/%20DIR-655%20/%20DIR-625_revC

If you still need help, I'll see if I can work something out.