• May 22, 2024, 07:11:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Router Signal  (Read 4041 times)

Egghead

• Level 1 Member
Router Signal
« on: December 18, 2009, 06:57:41 AM »

I have a problem with my DI-624 that just eludes me.  I have the router on top of a cabinet.  I have computer "A" no more than 15 feet away and about 30 degrees below the plane of the router.  It gets absolutely no signal.  No obstructions between router and computer "A" so what gives?

Now the strange part, computer "B" is in my basement right below the router. There are the following obstructions;
Metal leg of table
Table top
Monitor on top of table
Ceiling with main joist right in line of router
Refrigerator
Kitchen cabinet

Computer "B" gets a signal and almost the same distance. 8 foot ceiling plus 8 inches between ceiling and sub-floor and then 7 feet from floor to router height.
With all that I get a signal to computer "B".  Why then does computer "A" which has no obstructions gets no signal (no matter what position I put the antennas of the router and computer) and then computer "B" with all the obstructions gets a signal?

I am not sure if this has something to do with the router antenna and the way it may send out its signal pattern.  Maybe it's more of a doughnut shape signal pattern rather than a 360 degree bubble pattern, just not sure.  Any help would really be appreciated.  Thanks