• March 19, 2024, 04:00:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Which tool to use for measuring NAS R/W speed?  (Read 10561 times)

GrOm

• Level 1 Member
Which tool to use for measuring NAS R/W speed?
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:36:38 AM »

Hi,

I'd like to know which tools is people using to measure the R/W speed from host to nas.
Searching the Inet I found 3 tools, but not sure if they are accurate:

-HDTune
-Lan Speed Test
-Parkdale

I'm using M$ Vista so I don't trust that much in the R/W speeds provided by the system.
I'm trying to find out the way to optimize R/W performance and would like to test jumbo frames and all that stuff.

Thanks folks :)

bella

• Level 1 Member
Re: Which tool to use for measuring NAS R/W speed?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:14:40 AM »

You can try wireshark.  :)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »

Look at this thread - about eight posts down you'll find one by mig with a link to a utility called NASTester that was written specifically for measuring file transfer speeds across a network.

The utility creates a test file with the size of your choice, up to 2GB, and then copies the file to the network drive of your choice and measures the time taken and computes the average speed and then reverses the process so you can see how read speeds compare to write speeds.  Finally it deletes the est files.

It also allows multiple runs and will report each run separately and then an average of all the runs.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

GrOm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »

Look at this thread - about eight posts down you'll find one by mig with a link to a utility called NASTester that was written specifically for measuring file transfer speeds across a network.

The utility creates a test file with the size of your choice, up to 2GB, and then copies the file to the network drive of your choice and measures the time taken and computes the average speed and then reverses the process so you can see how read speeds compare to write speeds.  Finally it deletes the est files.

It also allows multiple runs and will report each run separately and then an average of all the runs.

wow great
thanks fordem

I saw this utility on another thread but I thought it wouldn't run on a M$ environment
I'll check that out

BTW, which is an average good R/W speed reported between a host and the NAS? (considering a wired environment with gigabit ethernet @ RAID-1 + tweaked jumbo frames)??
I saw many threads in regards but couldn't do an average of what is considered as "good"

thanks ;)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »

Well Good speeds depend on the Drive bottleneck anything from 11mbps up to 100mbps is fair game on a giga network mostly 40/60 around here but not with the DNS-323 thats sure.

How about an answer in context and with meaningful numbers.

Lets start with - is that 11mbps - megabits per second - because if it is, then it's pitiful, and if it's not, then use the right units rather than confusing the issue more than it needs to be.

GrOm - A DNS-323 on a gigabit lan with jumbo frame enabled is capable of delivering as much as 30MByte/sec on a read and mid 20s on a write - a lot depends on what's at the other end of your test rig, and also the file size used.

I have seen in excess of 30MByte/sec but that was with an IBM server that is not going to be very common in home networks where the DNS-323 is likely to be found - I'd say if you're gitting above 20MByte/sec you're where you need to be.

Regarding the file size - a single 2GB file will transfer significantly faster than 1000 x 2MB files, even though the amount of data is essentially the same - and if you're transferring directories full of small files, a few KB in size (like an HTML page), throughput can drop to an appalling 0.5MByte/sec
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

GrOm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »

Thanks again fordem ;)

Yeap my home schema is as follows (from host 2 Nas):

1.Sony Vaio VGN-FZ260e (with a SATA Fujitsu drive of appealing 4200 Rpm)
2.Wired UTP6
3.DLINK DIR 825 Xtreme  N(Gigalan Router)
4.Wired UTP6
5.DLINK DNS-323 @ Raid-1 with a pair of 1TB WD Caviar Black (FALS) w/32MB Buffer & 7200Rpm

That's it.
The other hosts in the network are slower than mine.
Anyway, I read a benchmark of my fujitsu drive and the IO is appealing, between 30/35 MB with IOMeter.
So, I'm thinking of upgrading to an SSD, an OCZ Vertex Edition. This should decrese the bottleneck of my end (the host side).

BTW, I saw in other posts that lot of people was achieving from 20's to 30's MB /s, so I guess that when I reach that shore, I'll come back to see how can I optimize my system steup.

Any other thoughts will be much appreciated
Thanks ;)