• June 15, 2024, 03:07:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Adding second 1 TB to create RAID 1 - Error Code:112  (Read 22500 times)

jackbreuer

• Level 1 Member
Re: Adding second 1 TB to create RAID 1 - Error Code:112
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »

With my post I just wanted to mention that there is a problem when adding a second drive to the NAS. The problem has already been discussed in detail somewhere else in this forum, so initially I just wanted to mention the fact without giving details.
But for preventing someone from losing his data or for for the D-Link team to fix their firmware I am happy to provide details:
In my case I did exactly what Joe described: I used the D-Link 321 firmware 1.03 for some time with a single drive in JBOD mode. The first harddisk is the green WD 1.5TB and was installed in the right bay. Then I purchased a week later the exact same harddisk again and wanted to operate the NAS in RAID1 mode.
The NAS detected the second disk and asked if it should format it and switch to RAID1. Although I knew that this wouldn't work because of another bug in firmware 1.03 I tried it - and it failed. So next time I logged in I skipped this step and went to the tools menu because that was reported to work OK somewhere in this forum.
The instructions in the NAS webinterface say that only the newly added harddisk would be formatted. But in fact both disks were blank after the operation - like a freshly setup RAID1 system. A pretty terrible bug for my taste.

amcallis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »

Ran into this issue when adding a second drive to DNS-321 and was able to clear it without changing firmware (I'm using ver 1.03).

Existing drive is Seagate 1 TB in left bay facing the unit front (Samba as Volume_1).  Adding new WD Caviar Green 1.5 TB to right bay.  Seagate is to be the "data" drive, and Caviar will be the "backup" to be removed and stored off site.  I do not want to RAID; just wanted additional storage to appear as another share volume.  Unwrapped the Caviar and put it in, got this 112 error many times despite reboot.

Scanned Caviar using WD Lifeguard diagnostic s/w and drive was fine (of course).  Then got the idea to power down NAS, eject Seagate from left bay.  Insert Caviar in right bay, power on.  Logged into web interface, and got options to format to ext2, ext3.  Selected the default ext2 format, and formatting took about 25 minutes and completed successfully.  Now the Caviar was assigned Volume_1.

Powered down, inserted original Seagate to left bay, powered up.  Two drives were now available, no data lost on the Seagate.  So that bypasses the original error of this thread.

But Seagate was Volume_2.  All my shares are setup for that drive to be Volume_1.  Swapped bays, and Seagate was still Volume_2.  Couldn't figure out how to be certain the Seagate would always be Volume_1, but found workaround.

Used this:  http://blog.focusedonlight.com/archive/2009/january/howtorenamevolume
Created new folder "Data" in the Seagate root.  Moved all files on Seagate into "Data" folder.  Added the "Data" folder as a Samba share.  Then on Caviar, created new folder "Backup" and added it as a Samba share.  Deleted "Volume_1" and "Volume_2" samba shares in the "Network Access" menu.  (no worries, easy to add back on this same menu.  No data loss since this is just the Samba share config)

I'm mapping to "Data" share now on all machines, so doesn't matter which drives gets Volume_1 or Volume_2 label.  "Backup" share disappears from the list when Caviar is not present.  But when Caviar is reinserted and NAS rebooted, "Backup" share reappears.  Perfect!

Reminder: can't hot swap...

Some folks hate replies to "stale threads" and this thread may be stale.  But this thread was the first hit in Google, so I figure this is the best place to post my findings in order to benefit others.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:07:33 PM by amcallis »

jleohner

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »

I have the DNS-321 with 2 new 1.5 gig Seagate ST31500341AS. When I tried to format I got a format error code 101. From browsing this thread I downgraded to the 1.02 firmware, formated raid 1, upgraded back to the 1.03 and all is good. Thank you for the advice.
Pages: 1 2 [3]