• June 15, 2024, 03:46:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Adding second 1 TB to create RAID 1 - Error Code:112  (Read 22501 times)

freekfly

• Level 1 Member
Re: Adding second 1 TB to create RAID 1 - Error Code:112
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 09:20:44 PM »

Joe....a little fearful of doing that you're saying, but then again, I guess I can simply back up my config and the drive with data will be out of it.  I might try that.

ECF.....Yes, I tried formatting to a single partition in XP as well....I even formatted once as NTSF and then also just blew away the FS and left the un-formatted partition there.  And I tried just the unallocated space .....AND the write to 0's, which is where it's at now.

I'll try again Monday...leaving town for the weekend.  Thanks!

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 01:52:58 AM »

Brian, I guess where you might be left at for options is to revert the firmware to 1.01 and see if that helps, it seemed to work well for some other members of this forum.

But before you do that, the only other thing I would ask is, do you have enough storage space on other drives to empty the original drive and let the 321 format both and turn them into RAID drives? I know it's asking a lot, not many have an extra 1 TB of storage space lying around. I do, so that's why I ask. If you can back up the data and the config file then you should be able to try to get the 321 to format both drives and RAID them, and if that fails, swap them into the opposite slots and try again. The reason I suggest this is that, when I built my 321 RAID 1, I used 2 empty drives and all the 321 did was tell me that it was going to format the left drive and that all data would be lost, and did I want to continue. And since that day my 321 has been working like a charm, no problems, well...except for the auto-power up issue.  ;)  ;)

If that all fails, then I'd be reverting the firmware to 1.01 and giving that a whirl. At that point, what have you got to lose, with everything backed up and safe.   :D

Good luck dude, I sure hope you solve this majorly perplexing puzzle!

Ryder
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:21:40 PM by Ryder »
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

freekfly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 06:58:35 AM »

Well, I did it.

Last night I backed up the config.  Reverted to Firmware 1.02.  Rebooted.

When I did this it completely blew away the config.  I shutdown the DNS, added the new drive and turned it on.  It then prompted me just like it had done in 1.03 that there is a new drive and I can format it and add it to create a RAID 1.  I selected this option and it formatted the drive perfectly and requested a reboot. 

When it came back up and I navigated to the RAID section, it said it was busy synchronizing and that took about 3 hours.  Once that was complete and it said it had a healthy RAID 1, I upgraded the firmware to 1.03 and restored my config.  All of my data was there and the config was fine.

Thanks for all of the input!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »

JoeSchmuck

Are you running the 1TB Hitachi model hard drives?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

freekfly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »

My first drive that had been running for a while was the Hitachi HDS721010KLA330, a 1 TB, 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache hard drive.  I then added a second hard drive that was Western Digital: WD10EADS-00M2B0, a 1 TB, 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Hard drive.  I was attempting to format the WD and create a RAID 1 array with that drive.

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
  • Retired Rocket Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »

JoeSchmuck

Are you running the 1TB Hitachi model hard drives?

Nope.  Running a new Samsung HD103SI in the right drive bay and an old Seagate ST31000340AS.  I plan to replace the Seagate drive because it's older and get really hot, of course it's a 7200 RPM drive. 

Why do you ask?  Did I say something odd?  Or is it because freekfly has Hitachi drives?  Yea, thought firmware was fixed for the Hitachi drives.  Is that what your leaning towards?

-Joe
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:27:19 PM by JoeSchmuck »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »

Just seeing if it was specific to a certain drive make and models.

What drive bay did you have your original drive in before adding the second new drive?

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 09:44:54 AM »

Just seeing if it was specific to a certain drive make and models.

What drive bay did you have your original drive in before adding the second new drive?

I started with the left drive bay first.

-Joe

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »

If you have not downgraded graded the firmware yet could you possibly try your first drive in the right bay, restart the unit then power it down again and insert the new drive into the left bay and boot the unit and see if you receive the same error message or if it allows you to format.

Grimm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »

I had this same issue, Downgrading to 1.01 solved the formatting errors. Then it was as simple as returning to 1.03.

I had a 500gb WD Caviar drive in the right bay, and I got the error when adding a terabyte WD drive to the left bay.

chrome

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 10:13:48 PM »

If you're experience this problem, try this before resorting to the firmware revert...

I had the same problem.  I ran a single 1TB WD drive for several months.  I then purchased a brand new OEM identical 1TB WD drive.  It went straight from the static bag to my DNS-321 (firmware 1.3).  When powered up the 321 gave the Error Code:112 the OP described.

I was able to get the RAID1 setup without the firmware workaround.  Just click "Skip" to ignore the format menu after login.  Then go to Tools->RAID and setup the configuration.  Setup went without a hitch.  For some reason the auto-run format failed but the regular admin menu worked fine.

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 06:32:23 AM »

If you're experience this problem, try this before resorting to the firmware revert...

Snip snip... I was able to get the RAID1 setup without the firmware workaround.  Just click "Skip" to ignore the format menu after login.  Then go to Tools->RAID and setup the configuration.  Setup went without a hitch.  For some reason the auto-run format failed but the regular admin menu worked fine.
Now that's a great contribution.  I'm sure this tid-bit of info should be placed in the FAQ/Sticky Topic somewhere (Hint Hint).

jackbreuer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 04:46:39 AM »

Now that's a great contribution.  I'm sure this tid-bit of info should be placed in the FAQ/Sticky Topic somewhere (Hint Hint).

!!!Attention!!!

I just tried that and encountered another much more terrible software bug: when your first harddisk was installed in the right bay both disks will be deleted when switching to RAID1! The worst thing is that the webinterface says that no data would be lost. Luckily I made a backup before because I read about this problem in this forum.

Now I am nervous if the RAID really saves my data. I will do a couple of tests before I trust the NAS. Has anyone tried simulating a disk failure yet?

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 05:25:38 AM »

!!!Attention!!!

I just tried that and encountered another much more terrible software bug: when your first harddisk was installed in the right bay both disks will be deleted when switching to RAID1! The worst thing is that the webinterface says that no data would be lost. Luckily I made a backup before because I read about this problem in this forum.

Now I am nervous if the RAID really saves my data. I will do a couple of tests before I trust the NAS. Has anyone tried simulating a disk failure yet?

Well, I can't say I "simulated" one, but I did have a disc fail on me. I checked which disc it was, then took out the bad one and replaced it with a good one. I had it set to auto-rebuild and that's exactly what it did. Rebuild the RAID setup without a hitch, all data intact and even available during the rebuild. Worked for me.

Ryder
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 05:37:11 AM »

I've never heard of that before, not saying it didn't happen.  So, just to be clear, you have a single drive in the right drive bay and used it for some period of time and then you backed it up before installing a second drive of the same capacity as the first drive into the left drive bay.  Then you followed the prompts to create a RAID 1 and you original data was deleted.

So, my questions are:
1. What are the models of the two drives (please list them as first/second)
2. What firmware is the NAS running (did you update to 1.03)
3. If my scenario above is not accurate, please describe in detail the events so we all can better understand what occured.

And as for your final comment, of course we all have tried a disk failure and mine works fine, even to the point of installing a blank disk and it re-established the RAID 1 just fine.  I think everyone does that because we need to prove this in our minds.  Remember, do not pull the drive while power is applied, this NAS is not hot swap capable and you're likely to cause some damage.

-Joe
Pages: 1 [2] 3