• June 03, 2024, 07:49:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Router Access and Security  (Read 4769 times)

Elmer

• Level 1 Member
Router Access and Security
« on: September 11, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »

I have a DI-624 router in a wireless network connecting a Macintosh desktop G4, a Mac laptop G4, and a Gateway Windows PC with two HP printers. Since my network is the only one in the neighborhood without any security, I decided to attempt to fix the problem.

After logging on to the Router page (http://192.168.0.1), I thought I was changing the Administrator and User names and passwords, but after clicking on "apply" and then, "continue," the original Router log-in page showed up again, asking for my user name and password. Nothing worked. Not "admin" nor "user," nor variations of those (upper/lower case). Nor did the changes I had just made in the Administrator and User boxes work. I was unable to log in.

As I understand it, if I reset the Router to the factory defaults, I will probably lose all my Time Warner ISP settings. It's been so long since I went through all that in setting up the system, I am trying to avoid it.

Two questions: Is there any way for me to access the Router settings without resetting the Router? And if so, will I be able once I am on the Router "site," so to speak, to do something about the security problem? I have to  find out how to do that, too.

As you might have guessed, I am not a techie. I know almost enough to get by.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Egghead

• Level 1 Member
Re: Router Access and Security
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 07:22:10 AM »

Not sure about losing your settings and I will emphasize that i am not sure.  I just got a second DI-624 and it had some firewall, virtual server and application settings on it.  I did the reset and those settings stayed time and time again.  So I am not sure if you WILL lose that Time Warner setting, it will be a gamble.

Before going forward, some things to know from a Gods eye point.  If you add security to the router, you will also need to set each computer individually to that security as well.  So planning is key.

First how much security do you want to implement?  You can do the basic which would be the IP or MAC address security (less hassle).  You can do that and then add more wireless security by encrypting the wireless signal via WEP, WPA or WPA2.  You need to figure how strong you want the security.  But do not fret, this can be done.  You will need a lot of patience and time to make sure things are right.  Once they are, you feel great that you got this all done, whichever route you want to go.

You are going to need to some detail planning so in the future if a problem arises, you will have your notes ready to go. I have 9 computers and 4 printers, the only way that I did what you might do is to have sheets of paper which contains all the details of each computer, the router and printers.

So think about this and we can go step by step, if you want to start with the lesser (IP or MAC) that is easy, but you should still get those sheets of papers and computer/printer information.

Post back what you ant to do