• June 15, 2024, 08:29:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGL-4300 vs. DIR-625?  (Read 6875 times)

Yashu

• Level 1 Member
DGL-4300 vs. DIR-625?
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:31 AM »

Have access to both, but trying to decide on a, somewhat, lasting solution. Only way I would switch routers to something else is if it was one of the linux routers, and AFAIK, D-Link doesn't make any that can be flashed with custom firmware such as DD-WRT, or Tomato, something like that.

I actually had two installations, but now just one in one building, so question is, what one is "better"? Looking for reliability, speed, latency, D-Link EOL (the 4300 is older, but it is also seems well supported, the 625 has not had an update to a firmware that works, the C rev. of that router's latest firmware almost bricks it, and there has been no update to fix this), and, of course, Wireless performance.

It is hard to compare these apples to apples, but from what I understand, the DIR-625 is, or was, almost exactly like the 4300, but with draft N, though, minus the gigabit switch.

My main PC is going to connect 100baseT, but there will be a gigabit NIC from another PC attached. Does having two differing wired connections make a problem for the 4300?

I have not seen a new firmware for the 625, and it is frustrating because the latest is so buggy it can't even hold a connection, it resets every few minutes, it won't even work in some of the config pages. It takes a total reset and flash of previous firmware for it to work properly. I am not sure what I am losing here, but the DGL-4300, has actually had two new firmware revisions since, so it is obviously being supported. (there was a question as to if it hit it's EOL a while back) The DGL-4300 required a weekly reset with 1.7, but with 1.9, I have not run it long enough to see if they fixed it.

I make heavy use of P2P, and it appears, both can handle about the same number of concurrent connections. I need reliability. I think seeding so much data is what used to cause the 4300 to get slower and slower. I did not have to reset the DIR-625 nearly as much, but now the DGL-4300 has new firmware, so perhaps this problem is fixed?

Wireless seems to be similar when it comes to features. I know the rest of the router is almost the same, with "gamefuel" being called what it really is: QoS. The range of the DIR-625 is farther, but not by much. Actually, it appears that the DGL-4300's wireless is actually more advanced, even though it lacks N support. I have two EeePCs, both with G cards, so I never used the draft N anyway. The wireless may only be G, but it seems to have more options on the 4300. I am assuming this is for gaming, but some of the options are useful regardless, such as how the QoS is exactly the same on both, and just as useful.

So any of you know what router is "better"? I do not require enough range to make the DIR-625 any better than the DGL-4300, I will often have almost 2000 seeding torrents, plus HTTPS Proxy, FTP, Remote desktop for several machines, so the reliability of the QoS is very important since I only have 512k uplink. The broken firwmare for the 625 and no fix for 6 months has me worried, where the DGL-4300 was suddenly brought back from the dead with more recent firmware releases.

Side by side, they are almost the same, but I am sure one comes out on top, what do you guys think? I post in here since there is more activity, plus, I would like to think that 1.9 fixed the problem of having to weekly reset the router. Oh! One last thing. Dynamic Fragmentation: How will this behave? It used to cause problems, does it still? Is it worth enabling? What is the cost of enabling it?