• June 03, 2024, 10:10:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS6620G + PIR motion sensor  (Read 4586 times)

fabman

• Level 1 Member
DCS6620G + PIR motion sensor
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:48 AM »

Hi,

I noticed that the software motion sensor in the DCS6620G works well in daylight conditions. However as the camera switches to "low lux" mode, the sensitivity setting is not appropriate anymore and the software keeps detecting motion (and flooding my ftp site with images).

One solution could be a software update that allows multiple settings of sensitivity according to the mode (hi/low lux) and/or the time of the day.

Since the update is not there (please take note DLINK!!!), my idea is to connect a PIR (outdoor) motion sensor to the camera. Those sensors work in the infrared band and could be used in hi/low light conditions without problems.

Has anyone attempted to connect one? Which sensor did you buy? Are you happy to the results? Any other caveats/suggestions?

Thanks,

Fabio
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:18:51 AM by fabman »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DCS6620G + PIR motion sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »

Noted...Thank you for your input.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

fabman

• Level 1 Member
Re: DCS6620G + PIR motion sensor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »

FOLLOW-UP:

I ended up purchasing a Visonic K-940 PIR detector. It works like a charm. You must either have a separate 12VDC power source for the detector or (a I did) derive the power source directly from the PCB of the DCS6620G - I am sure D-Link will keep the warranty valid ;) In summary, you will have 4 wires coming out the SENSOR. A pair going to the 12 VDC poser supply, the other pair going into the DCS camera.

Unfortunately I ended up wasting hours and risking to burn out the sensor because the wiring diagram on page 134 of the DCS-6620G is incorrect. It shows + and - of the PIR sensor going into PIN 3 and 4 of the DLINK DCS6620G. DON'T DO THAT! Instead of 12 VDC pin 3 and 4 are at 24 VDC... and you risk to burn out the detector/damage the DCS. Just read the instrution carefully and do not rely on the diagram.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION TO D-LINK: It would be really great i you guys could embed a PIR sensor in the next detection internet cameras. It would be extremely economical and straightforward to implement and would provide a significant added benefit for motion detection.

Cheers,

Fabio