• June 03, 2024, 06:48:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: xbox 360 streaming and Avi's ?  (Read 6292 times)

mrwinky

• Level 2 Member
xbox 360 streaming and Avi's ?
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »

I'm currently thinking about purchasing twonky vision for my DNS-323 to allow streaming to my xbox 360's. I have not seen yet, but it might be here. Will firmware 1.08 allow streaming of avi's ? no more error XXXX which i believe is a codec thing?

Thanks in advance.

Winky

Chops

• Level 1 Member
Re: xbox 360 streaming and Avi's ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:19:38 AM »

Twonky version 1.06 and above will work fine with your xbox 360, however it does not transcode anything for your 360 which means your content must be viewable on the 360.  Avi is just a container so the video itself might be using a codec the xbox doesn't like.

I currently stream AC3/H.264 content to my 360 from my DNS-323 with no problems.  I did need to convert the initial file since it was using 5.1 channel surround and the 360 does not like AC3 audio with more than 2 channels.  You'll need to have a look here to see what the 360 can play:
http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/gamesandmedia/movies/videofaq/videoplaybackfaq.aspx

Also one thing I noticed is that the DNS-323 will only show files with the .avi extension even though the xbox is fully capably of reading a .mp4 or .m4v.  This is a just a small annoyance since you can just change the extension and it'll play fine.

Previous to v 1.06 I was using Twonky but thanks to DLink I don't have to purchase their streaming server!

DLink rocks!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »

On another note Microsoft is updating there software tomorrow and should provide a wider range of supported files so thats awesome!!
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

NextGate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »

Hi there, i was able to play my avi files, but later my 323 is not showing anymore in the XBOX. So i cannot access any media from the XBOX anymore, do you know if there is a problem with the NAS or the xbox that makes that happen?

Regards,
Alex

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »

Hi there, i was able to play my avi files, but later my 323 is not showing anymore in the XBOX. So i cannot access any media from the XBOX anymore, do you know if there is a problem with the NAS or the xbox that makes that happen?

Regards,
Alex

Make sure the UPnP AV media server is enabled and your Xbox is in the same IP address network range.

NextGate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »

Make sure the UPnP AV media server is enabled and your Xbox is in the same IP address network range.

Is enabled and the XBOX is on the same range IP, both on them are configured to the DLINK DIR-655 router under 192.168.0.XXX range

Regards,
Alex

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »

Do you have any other device that would support a UPnP AV media server? It seems odd there does not seem to be communication on your network between these two device? Is your XBox wireless? Can you conduct a ping test to the XBOX IP address and the DNS-321 from your PC?

NextGate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 10:29:48 AM »

Hi there,

Ok, yesterday i could fin the way to see the DNS from my XBOX.

This is what i did.

1.- Opened router (DIR-655)
2.- Go to Port Forwarding
3.- Forward XBOX Live ports to my XBOX IP

After that i am able to see my DNS-323, this is the only change i did to make it work after trying some other diferent things.

@ECF Before making any changes these are my replies to your questions (after changes i still have and can do this tasks you mention):
Do you have any other device that would support a UPnP AV media server?
Yes, Windows Media Playerl

Is your XBox wireless?

No

Can you conduct a ping test to the XBOX IP address and the DNS-321 from your PC?
Yes

hope this helps any other person with the same problem, if you have this problem and this do not solve it maybe i just was lucky?

Regards,
Alex