• June 16, 2024, 12:39:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Here are my thoughts on the DGL-4100, DGL-4300 and DGL-4500  (Read 5657 times)

z999z3mystorys

• Level 1 Member
Here are my thoughts on the DGL-4100, DGL-4300 and DGL-4500
« on: August 07, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »

I've made a list of the pros and cons of the three gaming routers, hopefully my info is correct and possibly useful to others (Is all the info here correct BTW?):

DGL-4100:

Pros:
Gamefuel
Thoughts:
Good for gamers, who share a internet connection with others.

Gigabit LAN
Thoughts:
Maximum LAN speed, good if you move stuff around on a LAN network

Cons:
10/100mbs WAN not 10/100/1000mbs WAN
Thoughts:
Unless you ISP offers a package of 100mbs or greater, it's not much of a downside, perhaps a little less future proof, but that's it.

No wireless:
Thoughts:
If you need a wireless connection get a wireless router, If you don't, then this is a good router.

DGL-4300:

Pros:
Gamefuel
Thoughts:

Gigabit LAN
Thoughts:
Maximum LAN speed, good if you move stuff around on a LAN network

up to 108 mbs data rate (wireless)
Thoughts:
Good, but not the fastest out there, may effect speeds of transfers in the network, but won't likely effect Internet speed unless you have a 100mbs+ internet connection

Cons:
10/100mbs WAN not 10/100/1000mbs WAN
Thoughts:
Unless you ISP offers a package of 100mbs or greater, it's not much of a downside, perhaps a little less future proof, but that's it.

Not Wireless N:
Consider how much range and data rate speed you need on your wireless connection. Again at up to 108mbs data rate it likely won't limit your internet connection speed, unless you have a 100mbs+ connection. This could limit wireless network transfer speed however so consider that factor as well as how strong a signal you need.

DGL-4500:

Pros:
Gamefuel
Thoughts:

Gigabit LAN and WAN
Thoughts:
Gigabit LAN speed, good if you move stuff around on a LAN network. gigabit WAN means future proof for higher speed connections to the internet for a long time to come.

up to 300mbs data rate (wireless)
Thoughts:
Highest speed out there for now.

Cons:
The most costly of the gamer routers.
Thoughts:
Consider if you can use the advantages it has over the other options. And if it's worth the higher price.

Me? I chose this DGL 4300 (refurbished), as I'm wired to my current router (and will be to the future router) and wireless connections are needed, but not a high priority, and I don't have a 100mbs+ internet connection.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:45:41 PM by z999z3mystorys »

z999z3mystorys

• Level 1 Member
Re: Here are my thoughts on the DGL-4100, DGL-4300 and DGL-4500
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »

Just an update, I got my router today and everything worked fine, in fact I saw a boost in my min FPS on my online game, (above even being directly connected to the modem, something I tried briefly) even without any other computer connected through the router at that time (didn't set them up yet) so it seems to do something to improve network effectiveness in my case even compared to no other loads, and I'm sure that with a load other than just the game the decrease will be minimal.

What I'm saying is, that it seems in my case that the effectiveness of my connection was a factor in the FPS of my game, and this router (DGL-4300) improved FPS for me.