• June 15, 2024, 10:32:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Rubberized coating became gross and sticky, dead ports, dead adapter  (Read 5418 times)

kaon

• Level 1 Member

These problems did not happen all at once.

Has anyone else had the rubberized-surface-treatment for the DGL-4300 turn gummy?
I have seen this problem in some other appliances and gadgets, and even on car interiors... something to do with the heat and humidity in the tropics perhaps.
No big deal.

But after like 2 yrs, some ports became very intermittent.
I shifted all my machines onto a seperate 8-port switch, and just use one of the LAN ports on the DGL-4300 now. (The WAN port is fine, still connected to my CM.)

Yesterday, I found no connectivity, found it dead, no lights.
No 5V coming from the adapter.
Now I have to locate my receipt to get an exchange.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Rubberized coating became gross and sticky, dead ports, dead adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:23:50 AM »

Wow, I have not seen this device get gummy, nor have I seen a car do it under reasonable circumstances.

What kind of weather are you getting in the tropics?

I have never had to consider the tropics an extreme environment, but ensure that you are using this device within it's operating parameters.  If your humidity or temperature is too high, you may want to look for a product better suited to your environment.
non progredi est regredi

BobL

• Level 1 Member
Re: Rubberized coating became gross and sticky, dead ports, dead adapter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »

The 'gummy' texture is the result of the natural oils of your skin. Normally rubber and soft plastics will absorb these fine skims of oil on contact, but when you are in a very humid and moist area, this vapor thin layer of moisture will create a barrier between oil and rubber, and cause a 'tacky' sensation.

When its VERY hot and humid, you'll notice your bedsheets will tend to do the same thing. They'll feel 'damp' even though they are dry.