• June 15, 2024, 02:42:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D-Link users, would you recommend the DNS-321?  (Read 23979 times)

akg4y

• Level 1 Member
D-Link users, would you recommend the DNS-321?
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »

I am looking to buy a low cost 2 drive NAS to supplement my Netgear NV+ and was going to jump on the DNS-321 for $90 because of the spectacular price, but based on these forums and what I have read on the reviews on various shopping sites (newegg, amazon, etc) I am very hesitant.  I would appreciate if any users *with the beta firmware* could chime in on whether or not they would recommend this product at this point for $90, the DNS-323 for $130, or the DNS-343 for around $275 (all after rebate)?  Or should I look at another brand?

Edit to add: I will be using this NAS solely for a media server of music and video streaming to a macmini/plex or pc/xbmc, ranging from DIVX files to 1080p h.264 encoded mkvs.  I will at most be using RAID-0 as I need all 3 TB of space on my two 1.5gb drives.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:05:36 AM by akg4y »

mig

• Level 3 Member
Re: D-Link users, would you recommend the DNS-321?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »

Seems to me you need to identify what service you are going to use to connect
your media client to your media server, then choose the product which can support
that service and any features that you require.

akg4y

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »

Seems to me you need to identify what service you are going to use to connect
your media client to your media server, then choose the product which can support
that service and any features that you require.

I dont really understand your point.  As I mentioned I will be using either a PC with XBMC or MacMini with Plex (offshoot of XBMC) which should both be able to connect to any NAS without difficulty. 

My question is given all of the reported problems that the DNS-321 have had based on the various threads on this forum would those users have preferred to buy a DNS-323, DNS-343 or a completely different brand given their experience with both the product and support. 

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »

I dont really understand your point.  As I mentioned I will be using either a PC with XBMC or MacMini with Plex (offshoot of XBMC) which should both be able to connect to any NAS without difficulty.

What I was trying to say is how (what network files service technologies) are you going to use
to connect your media clients to the media server? 

Samba? FTP? UpNP? Bonjour? AFP? NFS? CIF? Active Directory? HTTP? Rsync?

Once you can determine the services you need then choose the device which supports them
the best.  The ReadyNAS NV+ is a very capable NAS, which file services are you currently
using?

ceyko

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 05:23:45 AM »

In general I think this enclosure is worth the money still.  Even though I am developing a problem with the firmware releases, or lack of them.  I'd still recommend this NAS enclosure on a general basis.  Cost vs What you get is not bad.

However, w/o knowing exact details my recommendation is still a general one.

akg4y

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 05:41:31 AM »

To be honest although I do know a reasonable amount about computers I dont know much about networking, hence this post.  I basically just installed the NV+ and copied files to the media share on it, Im not sure what the default sharing protocol is nor what the benefits of one would be over another.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:32:15 PM »

I basically just installed the NV+ and copied files to the media share on it, Im not sure what the default sharing protocol is nor what the benefits of one would be over another.

There is a lot to be said for sticking with something that works.

You need a NAS that works well with PC (SMB) file sharing and Mac (AFP) file sharing.
I don't know (you'll have to search the forums) how many Mac users are really
happy with the D-Link DNS products in their Mac network.  (I believe the DNS products
use SMB/CIF to connect to the Mac and not Apple's native AFP)

I know buying another NV+ (or NVX) is expensive, but it is a proven solution in your environment.
And in my book (especially given your limited networking experience), that is money well spent. 
Perhaps you could "grow" the capacity of your existing NV+?

EDIT: The (less expensive) ReadyNAS Duo seems to have the same network file services as the NV+.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:01:00 AM by mig »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »

I would recommend against this product and, in fact, have basically stopped using mine.  I plan to move the drives from it to an eSATA enclosure, attach that directly to a system, and share that drive.

What has turned me off about the product is D-Link's non-response to the numerous problems it has.  I started fighting with D-Link, but lost patience.  Eventually, I may file a complaint with the FTC.  This is a piece of hardware and it has to perform as advertised and implied.  That it incorporates firmware is irrelevant.  So do microwave ovens, stereo receivers, televisions, cars, lasers used for eye surgery, etc.  Putting a micro-controller in a product is not a get-out-of-jail-free card when a defect is uncovered.

I bought the DNS-321, and mirrored the data across two drives, because reliability is very important to me.  I have seen this drive appear and disappear from the "shared" list on my Mac.  PCs have been similarly unhappy retaining a connection to it.  I put a new drive into it and it failed to recognize the new drive as new and to rebuild the array.

For a NAS connected to gigabit ethernet, the performance is lethargic.  The fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner on the table beside me and there is no way to adjust the setpoints so that it runs more often for less time.

All in all, a promising product let down by a total failure of the manufacturer to fix flaws in a timely manner.

Out of this entire post I can only identify one thing that could be considered an issue and even then it is related to  YOUR experience.

1. This is a consumer product, the gigabit port is a SINGLE port gigabit and I apologize that it does not meet your expectations but it is doing gigabit speed.
2. I am not sure what you are doing with your nas but mine doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner.
3. We never stated on the box or in the packaging that the fan was controllable. If you bought it for that you bought it because you assumed it had that option. This is something that has been added in the next release.

It is unfortunate that you are no longer using your device and maybe you will change your mind when 1.03 is released officially.

Just another 'non-response'.

akg4y

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »

Thanks for the responses thusfar, particularly mig.  Ive been checking various sites, Anandtech etc, where people are saying the D-link is connecting to macs no problem, but I dont know about the speed.

Ill probably get this anyhow for $90 AR, as long as I can get it to stream movies itll do what I need...  if not I can probably sell it for most of what I paid or just use it as another backup.

peas

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 01:55:54 AM »

DLink support, field engineers and related personnel really need to take a course in customer relations. (fordem is that you hiding behind the DLM alias?)
There will always be some % of antagonistic customers, some rightfully so, some not.  Attacking a customer who is dissatisfied does nothing to help the situation.  Insulting them for expecting too much or being "stupid" is counter-productive.  In fact it makes DLM look even worse, manned by a bunch of insecure geeks who take everything personally.

This will surely fall on deaf ears.  It's too bad because not only do customers suffer, DLM as a company will continue to suffer from bad PR.  I'm just the messenger...

peas

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »

D-Link's management, good or bad, doesn't excuse the DLM representatives here.  One of the few DLM associates here who is even-handed and understanding is Fatman.  Why are the others so quick to attack and berate their customers?

I agree that the fan noise is too loud.  My room is probably 80F ambient in the summer and the fan runs full speed.  In the winter it rarely ever came on.  The DLM tech who doesn't believe the noise level is either hard of hearing, keeps his home/work AC at freezer temperatures, or both.  We shouldn't have to "prove" that this is an annoyance.  We've reported it, DLM should record it and investigate.  I've been fortunate to experience both the company support side and the customer side (maybe that's not so fortunate :)).  It's never acceptable for customer-facing representatives to behave as some DLM people have here.  I guess the faceless/nameless nature of this forum is more conducive to socially reprehensible behavior.  After all, the "D-Link Multimedia Technical Engineer" doesn't have to put his name on the line.

Kevintwilson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 10:24:44 PM »

Please do NOT waste your money on this piece of junk.

I have bought one and have pulled out all of my hair with this crapola. I inserted two 1TB WD10EADS Green drives into it and CANNOT get it to format both drives. One drive formats successfully but when I insert the other one it always fails at ~ 14% and returns Format Failure: Error 114, whatever that means. I removed the drive that failed to format and connected it to my PC to delete the partition and then reinserted it into the DNS-321 and tried again to no avail. I also deleted the partitions of both drives and swapped slots in every combination and still it fails. I also tried all versions of the firmware (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and several 1.3 BETA loads) and none work. I then scanned the internet and so many people are having problems with this box that it should be declared a lemon.

Until D-Link evenually gets out a working firmware load RUN FORREST RUN away from this junk.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »

One drive formats successfully but when I insert the other one it always fails at ~ 14% and returns Format Failure: Error 114, whatever that means.

Try running WD disk diagnostics utility on the stubborn drive,
you might be seeing a hardware problem with the hard drive.

Kevintwilson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »

Been there, done that... on both drives I have successfully performed WD diagnostics, successfully formatted both drives on a separate PC, successfully performed full surface scans, and even successfully ran SpinRite on both drives. The drives are perfect.

The DNS-321 is junk, with garbage firmware, and is poorly supported and documented, and D-Link KNOWS IT judging by the tons of complaints regarding this dead weight all over the Internet. No more D-Link hardware for me and I am now a committed vocal advocate to my colleagues/friends to stay away from D-Link, especially after reading the sarcastic/rude responses from D-Link employees on these forums. I've also escalated their sarcasm higher up in the company and will see what effect that has, if any. J-U-N-K.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:49:14 PM by Kevintwilson »

akg4y

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 03:42:35 PM »

This thread is showing up highly on google searches so I figure I should follow up... bought this NAS and installed the beta firmware immediately in order to not have the whole 94% hangup with 1.5TB drives.  Im not very impressed, and might actually just sell this on craigslist or something because it does not seem to be able to stream 1080p video without stuttering.  I have it on gigabit network along with a Netgear NV+ and the same 1080p files stream flawlessly from the Netgear but are unwatchable from the D-link.  Seems like a lot of others are having the same problems and there are no responses from anyone at D-link thusfar.
Pages: [1] 2