• June 03, 2024, 09:55:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 3 Mac's, One PC and whenever the DGL-4300 The Network Goes Down +  (Read 7769 times)

ambienttales

• Level 1 Member

??? ;) ;) :o

Hi,
My first post, We have the DGL-4300 Gaming Router that serves our house fairly well (except when we unplug the router or cable modem (during electrical storms and even when we had some recent electrical work done (changing old sockets in the house that would not hold a plug well, but they all work and are grounded)

I end up re-booting the router with a paper clip (after doing the unplug, plug in sequence of cable modem then router, have
the 3 Mac's (in system preferences set up to DHCP) and the HP PC (running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 to accept the
IP adress automatically(maybe the ? wrong wording but set up per the manual and CD for the router) Router is 802.11g
The PC has a D-LinK WDA-2320 Rangebooster Desktop adapter, all three Mac 's have airport cards that are 802.11B
1is a Imac and on the same floor as the router, a Emac is also on the same floor as the router, both get 5 bars out of 5 signal strenghth, Another eMac is on the second level and gets 5 bars , The PC used to get 4 out of 5, sometimes 5of 5, then began to drift at times to 3 bars at time out of 5, now it shows connected but 2 of 5 bars and no internet connection
can be obtained, ran the set up wizard etc, checked all the settings etc.

One odd thing (and I thing it happened when I was checking things out) is we also have a Airport Extreme hooked up tp
a laser printer and we change networks to print to it (all the Mac's can, The PC never has been able to, instead we copy
data on a flash drive and put it in a Mac (Microsoft office for Mac) and then print it out.

** odd is now there are the auto connected internet and apple networks (each with 2 bars) and the apple network
and a old internet named connection showing 5 bars and configured computer to computer , they show 5 of 5 bars but they are not connected, when you click connect it asks you to do 5 things and the old internet named connection does not exist (except ? visably in the PC or ? in a file ? (we have always used Mac's for close to 15+ years and the PC (new) since Dec 2008.

Using Firmware 1.7 , Time Warner Cable Broadband , and we also have a Xbox 360(and use in live mode at times) plus a Nintendo Wii (online at times) I follow the set up to a T (I think) adding nothing fancy, have a admin password, WPA security (the Imac does not like WPA2) and a pasword and the network renamed etc.

The dupicate connections is baffling and can not get rid of them and am not even sure it has any thing to do with things

The evey time the cable modem or router is unplugged throws the network off drives us bats and its not always the PC that goes off line, it can be one Mac is online but can not print, or can print but no online or Entourage e-mail, and it can be two Mac's and the PC offline and one Mac just fine, All computers are wireless, but we move one close and hook up by ethernet to reset the router,

I apologize for the length of this post(and its my first) and the multiple (potential factors) any help would be extremely helpful and most well appreciated, I printed out the 72 page manual, read through the CD and threw everything at it I could think of (mentally) and still the PC is offline. And they have all worked 4 at one time or 3online and the Xbox 360 in live mode, we upgraded from a Apple Airport 802.11b to the Dlink 802.11g as when we added the Xbox one computer was down ? do we need to go 802.11N (though nothing has changed in # of devices) add a signal booster or repeater or a antenna ?

puzzled in Ohio

:o ??? :'( :-* :-\ ;) :( ;D

Thank You (and I read about every post in the DGL-4300 forum and answers
Peace

ambientales
 ;D
P.S.

as I was resetting the router today I did copy and paste quite a few of the pages of the settings so I can refer back to specific areas .

ambienttales

• Level 1 Member
Re: 3 Mac's, One PC and whenever the DGL-4300 The Network Goes Down +
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:02:58 PM »

;D ??? :D

Hi, I did try this (uninstall and then re-install ) the network interface card driver (disk) that came with the unit and now

The PC and the 3 Mac's are unline. I do need to make sure the lastest driver and or firm ware is installed as I did in the past

call Tech support and the latest driver was not there (I had called regarding a real change in internet speed)

will keep you all posted and will run a full Kaspersky scan and check for issues of Malware.

I am wondering peoples thoughts on

adding on (to boost signal to the secong floor of the house where the PC and one eMac are)

what would be best (and compatible)

1.antenna (do these work very well when placed on a second level of a house when the router is on the first floor?
2. 802.11g range booster or repeater (are the the same)
3.*change over to a 802.11N (thats back ward compatible for the extra range but ? would the speed be applicable
as the PC's NIC card  is 802.11g (same as the router) and all 3 Mac's airport (wireless cards are 802.11B)

4. I do not think powerline is a option as I doubt that where our router is and both up stairs rooms are in the same electrical circuit (and it seems the most expensive of the options if do both up stairs rooms in theory)
5.*Other*

Thanks

ambienttales

??? ;D :-*

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »

I'm not 100% sure I understand the issue, but have you tried changing channels to potentially reduce interference with nearby and your own wireless networks?

ambienttales

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »

;D

Thanks for your reading my (very long and rambling post) I have not tried changing channels (have always used channel 6)

the basic problem (will try to be short) is that all 3 Mac's are doing well and get 5 out of 5 bars signal wise

(DGL-4300 router, 802.11g )  all with wireless airport cards 802.11b, but the PC (on the same floor as one Mac , using a

D-Link WDA-2320 RangeBoster G Desk Top Adapter is getting 2 out of 5 bars (it used to get up to 4) and nothing has

changed (*except the one Mac that now shares the second floor with the PC is a new addition, it used to be on the ground

floor with the other two Mac's and that is where the wireless router is and broadband cable modem is ...

Do You think a antenna would perhaps be of any help for the upper floor (D-Link/Comp USA.com is running a $20.00 off

rebate on the item D700-5294 (reg. $39.99-$20.00=$19.99 limit two with reabte. (it may be the only D-Link antenna

sold (or as far as the ones I have seen online on D-Links home page) I read the 38 reviews on Comp USA site on the

antenna and it helped quite a few and others were not impressed.

Thanks Again

Ambienttales

??? :-* ;D

flenhah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »

I also have an interesting problem involving Macs and Pcs.

Hi, I just got a DGL-4300 today. I plugged it in and turned on WPA security, hooked up my Imac, and my Macbook and my Ps3, and all was working well until my dad got home and turned on his Vista Laptop.

I told him the password for the new network and he signed on. We were all online and doing pretty fine until about 10 minutes later (this has been repeated about 3 times). The entire network goes haywire. All communications to the router stop. I can't even access the routers setup page wirelessly. During this time however, I can hook up my laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and it works fine.

Ultimately, when my dad turned off his laptop. The wireless network started working fine again. I happen to be posting this message while his laptop is off.  :D

I have changed the channel to 11 and it still does this. Has anyone else had a problem this weird?

justinian77

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »

Yes, I have a DGL-4300.  I am trying to AFP from my iMac to my wife's Mac Book Pro a few minutes after I connect it blows up the internet for everyone in the house and the router must be reset.  AFP and SMBd connections worked well with 10.4 before we upgraded to 10.6, so I am baffled.  I have the latest firmware at 1.9.  I'm at a lost.  We have been using usb memory sticks to transfer data.  Am I just missing an option within the router's setup?

varocketry

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:26:45 AM »

ambienttales:

Do your MACs have an external WiFi antenna?  Are these laptops or desktops?

If they are desktops with an adapter that has an external 3dB "rubber ducky" antenna, you can replace those for higher dB antennas - or- you can fashion a reflector that will capture more signal for the existing antenna.

If they are laptops, so can buy an external USB WiFi adapter with a stronger antenna and stronger internal transmit power.  They work well to boost reception.