• June 15, 2024, 10:08:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: P2P folder in Android APP!!  (Read 5163 times)

maliboo

• Level 1 Member
P2P folder in Android APP!!
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:47:37 PM »

Hi all,

I know this has been asked so many times, however I don´t manage to find a solution.

I have a dlink 320lw with update firmware, I´ve got the android app, I can enter to my Volume_1 folder but not to my P2P one!

I can acces via web, but why not via mobile?

I have put the P2P folder in Share mode in the configuration but nothing appears in the mobile app.

I am also running P2P encryption disable, though.

I am very satisfy so far with the NAS, however this annoys me so much!

Can you help me??

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: P2P folder in Android APP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »

DNS-320 or DNS-320L?  If it is the L than you would be better asking on the forum for that model.

As it stands Volume_1 is the root volume and I would expect the P2P you are talking about to be a folder off that root.  If that is the case then opening Volume_1 should show all the folders contained therein.  If the P2P folder does not show up it might have the hidden attribute set - you can check this by using something like FileZilla and logging on to your nas, assuming you have activated the FTP server on the nas, this will show all the attributes set for each folder on the nas.

maliboo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 04:08:40 AM »

DNS-320 or DNS-320L?  If it is the L than you would be better asking on the forum for that model.

As it stands Volume_1 is the root volume and I would expect the P2P you are talking about to be a folder off that root.  If that is the case then opening Volume_1 should show all the folders contained therein.  If the P2P folder does not show up it might have the hidden attribute set - you can check this by using something like FileZilla and logging on to your nas, assuming you have activated the FTP server on the nas, this will show all the attributes set for each folder on the nas.

Dear Ivan,

Many thanks for your time answering. Correct, I reffer to the L product, I misplaced my post.

However, as I have caught your attention, maybe you can help me out.

I will explained better the situation:

When I connect the NAS, in my computer the folder that appears is Volume_1, but if I enable the P2P, then an additional folder is created, so when you access to the NAS in my computer, you find 2 folders, one is Volume_1 and the other is P2P, P2P folder is not inside Volume_1.

I downloaded the Dlink Android app, but when I access to the Nas through the app, only Volume_1 appears, P2P does not show.

In the configuration of the NAS I share also the P2P folder with no luck in the APP, however when I access in my computer or online via MydLink page it shows.

Very strange

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:08:10 PM »

Very strange indeed.

Since we don't have the 'L' version to try and emulate what you are doing I have to ask you to check a few things and let me know the results.

Assuming you are using some form of windows OS and have mapped Volume_1 to a drive letter, open windows explorer, go to  my computer and expand it to show all drive letters, highlight the drive letter for the nas and right click on it, scroll to the bottom of the drop down menu to properties, open properties and note the total size shown.  Under normal circumstances it will be very near to the nameplate value of the drive or RAID array (this is what I would expect for the root volume with no other volumes on the drive).

If the root volume (Volume_1) does in fact take up all of the drive space the question becomes where does the P2P folder get its space from if the space is already claimed by Volume_1?

At the moment I think, and I could be wrong, that what you are seeing as the P2P folder is a virtual folder there for convenience rather than you having to find it in Volume_1.

maliboo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »

Very strange indeed.

Since we don't have the 'L' version to try and emulate what you are doing I have to ask you to check a few things and let me know the results.

Assuming you are using some form of windows OS and have mapped Volume_1 to a drive letter, open windows explorer, go to  my computer and expand it to show all drive letters, highlight the drive letter for the nas and right click on it, scroll to the bottom of the drop down menu to properties, open properties and note the total size shown.  Under normal circumstances it will be very near to the nameplate value of the drive or RAID array (this is what I would expect for the root volume with no other volumes on the drive).

If the root volume (Volume_1) does in fact take up all of the drive space the question becomes where does the P2P folder get its space from if the space is already claimed by Volume_1?

At the moment I think, and I could be wrong, that what you are seeing as the P2P folder is a virtual folder there for convenience rather than you having to find it in Volume_1.

Hi Ivan! (By the way, are you spanish? :D)

Thank you for your kind interest helping me out.

Take a look at below pictures, they are self explanatories

So, as you can see, the Nas has divided in 2 drive letter (it happens only when you enable the P2P option) But the drive are the same! Same size and content!

So I´m afraid you are right, because below you can see wat I get when I choose to share the P2P folder

You see? It appears that P2P folder is inside the Volume_1

But no way, when I check in my computer they are separated.

Anyhow when I log on to the Android app, this is what I get:

And inside there is no P2P folder...

I think Im going crazy...  :-X

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 05:56:56 PM »

Sorry I am English living and working in France and yes I can read some of the Spanish as used in operating systems.

Now, what you are showing is what I expected to see P2P folder as a subfolder of the Volume_1 folder and if you don't have any more folders in Volume_1 you get exactly the same size for the two.

It appears that the firmware tags the P2P folder in such a way that it can be given a drive letter by computers on the network (I also note that both folders are presented as NTFS to windows when in fact they are Ext4, at least they should be.

Just how you get to find the P2P folder on the Android app I am not sure.  One thing you can try is to open Volume_1 with a long press on Volume_1 as seen in your screen grab.  This should open the volume (you may need to supply user/password if they are set) to allow you to see what it contains and all going well you may find the P2P folder.

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:23:16 PM »

Sorry I am English living and working in France and yes I can read some of the Spanish as used in operating systems.

Now, what you are showing is what I expected to see P2P folder as a subfolder of the Volume_1 folder and if you don't have any more folders in Volume_1 you get exactly the same size for the two.

It appears that the firmware tags the P2P folder in such a way that it can be given a drive letter by computers on the network (I also note that both folders are presented as NTFS to windows when in fact they are Ext4, at least they should be.

Just how you get to find the P2P folder on the Android app I am not sure.  One thing you can try is to open Volume_1 with a long press on Volume_1 as seen in your screen grab.  This should open the volume (you may need to supply user/password if they are set) to allow you to see what it contains and all going well you may find the P2P folder.

Isn't the P2P only showing as another drive because maliboo as added it as a Network Share?

I can see only Vol1 in Network -it's a sub directory(folder) of DLINK-#####
If I add P2P as a Network Share it the appears as a new sub directory(folder) of DLINK-#####

I assume maliboo added the Network Share to try to fix the problemb of access via mobile app

There has been a few previous questions about "no access to change default location of P2P folder"

Seems pretty poor that the only way to access a P2P folder is with a pc

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »

Isn't the P2P only showing as another drive because maliboo as added it as a Network Share?

A good question to which I don't have an answer.

Seems pretty poor that the only way to access a P2P folder is with a pc

It should be possible to see all folders on a nas box using various programs.  We now use Android tablets for nas servicing and maintenance at client sites and have not encountered any problems accessing all folders and files.  There are two apps we use, AndFTP and ES File Explored.  AndFTP is as its name implies as FPT client and as such needs the FTP server on the nas to be activated.  ES File Explorer can access both FTP and SMB/CIFS.  In both cases network access is necessary as is the knowledge of the user/password combo for the nas boxes.  Since the P2P folder is off the root Volume_1 it should be seen unless it has the hidden attribute set.

The only other thing that some of my people came up with was wondering if the Android app is designed to work over the internet rather than the local network but that is just clutching at straws.

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »

It should be possible to see all folders on a nas box using various programs.  We now use Android tablets for nas servicing and maintenance at client sites and have not encountered any problems accessing all folders and files.  There are two apps we use, AndFTP and ES File Explored.  AndFTP is as its name implies as FPT client and as such needs the FTP server on the nas to be activated.  ES File Explorer can access both FTP and SMB/CIFS.  In both cases network access is necessary as is the knowledge of the user/password combo for the nas boxes.  Since the P2P folder is off the root Volume_1 it should be seen unless it has the hidden attribute set.
I can't offer help/advice regarding AndFTP but I also use ES File Explorer and I have access to Vol 1 but the P2P folder doesn't show

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »

I can't offer help/advice regarding AndFTP but I also use ES File Explorer and I have access to Vol 1 but the P2P folder doesn't show. 

Would it be possible for you to look at Volume_1 with FileZilla?  What I am looking for is the hidden and system attributes - if they are set then that will most probably be the reason that folder does not show up.

Another very slim possibility is that it is a virtual folder that uses Volume_1 as the base in which case it will be very difficult to do much with it using standard file management tools.

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »

I can't offer help/advice regarding AndFTP but I also use ES File Explorer and I have access to Vol 1 but the P2P folder doesn't show. 

Would it be possible for you to look at Volume_1 with FileZilla?  What I am looking for is the hidden and system attributes - if they are set then that will most probably be the reason that folder does not show up.

Another very slim possibility is that it is a virtual folder that uses Volume_1 as the base in which case it will be very difficult to do much with it using standard file management tools.
You'd have to give a little more ;)
Do you want me to install Filezilla onto my pc?  and if yes what would I need to do after installing Filezilla?
I don't mind, I don't mind helping if it will benefit anyone...honestly so long as it's fairly easy but make it easy please. 

QuiXplorer shows the folder P2P but views the drive - however checking further via QuiXplorer I found this folder
HD_a2 » .systemfile » P2P » .settings
if that helps?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 04:30:51 PM »

Thank you.  The fact that it is in a dot systemfile supports what I was thinking that it is a virtual folder.

I don't know if you will find FileZills useful.  It is a general purpose FTP client https://filezilla-project.org/ for windows, Mac and linux, it is also very simple to install, just double click on the downloaded FileZilla_3.14.1_xxxxx-setup.exe (for windows with the xxxxx being 32 or 64bit depending on your operating system).  To use you would fill in the IP address, user and password then click connect and there it is.  To copy files and folders from one place to the other just right click on what you want to copy and select the action from the drop down menu.  It has the advantage of being a unix concept and therefore lists all the permissions given to a file or folder for the owner, group, and all users with r = read, w = write and x = execute.  There are also some special permissions which indicate system and hidden.

Being an FTP client it does need an FTP server to connect to.  We have set it up for a couple of our clients that have windows laptops as an easy way for them to connect to their companies nas boxes while on the road. 

Sorry, I didn't intend to try and write a tutorial and bore everyone to tears.

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 06:02:32 AM »

Sorry, I didn't intend to try and write a tutorial and bore everyone to tears.
Don't be sorry
Just keep answering and "filling in the gaps"  ;)

Would installing FileZilla on other machines (external to LAN) make it easier to access files on my NAS ?

I understand that that would mean external users would need to download each file but currently I am disgruntled by DLink NAS because of the poor unuseable unworkable access via anything other than LAN.  For me a 320L has been nothing more than a LAN storage device.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 09:12:46 AM »

As I said FileZilla is only an FTP client and as such does what all FTP clients do - move files and/or folders from one place to another.

We use a native to our operating system FTP client to access our clients NAS boxes every night to download the days backup to our storage array (a service we offer and they are happy to pay for because of the security it offers them).

I have found that using FTP when outside of the local network is the easiest to setup and it just works.  We have not lost any data when using it for the last 18 years.  The reason that I recommend FileZilla to windows users is that it is simple to use but is also capable of more advance usage - it just works.  I also recommend AndFTP to people with Android tablets and phones, while that is a little more complicated to setup it also just works.  The thing is with using FTP you must be comfortable with the tools used no matter what they are called.

While the FTP server in the D-Link NAS boxes is fairly simple it does work and is simple to setup and the shares need a user/password set if it is going to be allowed through the router firewall otherwise the world plus the dog can root through the nas.

I should add that it is possible to select several files/folders at the same time for transfer and then just let the client and server get on with it while you do something else, in fact we are just transferring 40k files and two folders from our storage array to a clients new nas at the moment - they are 40 km away as the crow flies and some unknown distance as the internet runs.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:20:58 AM by ivan »