• May 31, 2020, 01:02:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Static ip with mydlink  (Read 3393 times)

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
Static ip with mydlink
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »

I set my camera with a static ip address because today I couldn't connect with my desktop shortcut, then realized it was because the dynamic ip had changed, and it will typically at times. Not a big deal, I found what it was with a DOS command. After changing it to a static ip I could not access the camera via mydlink, but could locally. I changed it back to DHCP, and again can access it via mydlink and locally. Is it necessary to keep the DHCP setting for mydlink access?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Static ip with mydlink
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:04:33 AM »

Either static or dynamic IP should work well with the MDL service.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »

I wonder why I had trouble - the site kept indicating the camera was offline, but I'd then browse to the ip address and the connection was good. I may try again, but it's fine if I must keep the ip dynamic.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »

Try setting an IP address reservation on the main host router for the camera. This should work as well.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:56 PM »

I should specify I set the camera ip as 192.168.1.126, same as the DHCP address assigned. I was discussing the situation with someone more knowledgeable than I with networking, he mentioned I may need to do 'port forwarding'  on my router, maybe on port 80? I noticed the default static ip was (I believe) 192.168.0.20. I wonder when setting it as static, does it need to be 192.168.0.x? I would think not, since my router is allowing the MDL service through on the dynamic assigned address of 192.168.1.126. I recall though, when I did set it to static 192.168.0.20 - I could not connect either way. I can't say for sure - was doing a lot of configuration changes at the time.

PAFL

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »

I use a static IP on my camera with no issues.  I set it to the same as  the DHCP address the first time I did it.
Make sure you set  the subnet mask, gateway and DNS
if not the camera cannot connect to the internet.

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »

"Make sure you set  the subnet mask, gateway and DNS"

That's got to be it, I didn't set that up when setting the ip as static.

Thanks

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »

Thanks PAFL- I set the ip static and this time entered the other required settings like I should have before! Works locally and through mydlink.