• June 04, 2024, 05:54:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't mount disk on DNS-345.  (Read 2106 times)

dominant88

• Level 1 Member
Can't mount disk on DNS-345.
« on: January 13, 2016, 03:29:38 PM »

As the title says, I can't mount the disk from my network attached DNS-345 NAS.

I can log in to the NAS on my browser through the IP address and through my ddns address but I can not access it from the sharecenter, the disk utility or by typing \\ip_nasipaddress.

I have tried to mount it both with a windows 10 machine on the LAN and through an OSX machine on WiFi.

I have run a scan disk and a smart test and both say that the 3 disk RAID 5 setup passes.

Also on the DNS-345 itself it has a message that says volume_1:rebuilding which came up yesterday shortly after it was setup. Yesterday from the disk management page on the browser it said that the disk was rebuilding itself but today it says that it is complete, but the message is still on the DNS-345. I am not sure if this is important or not, but I did drag and drop a couple files into the NAS from the browser and I am not sure if it was rebuilding itself at that point.

This NAS was setup yesterday with freshly formatted disks.

Thanks for any help, I have tried to give any relevant information I could.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Can't mount disk on DNS-345.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »

Err, shouldn't this be over on the DNS-345 forum?

I know that three disks is the minimum necessary for a RAID 5 array but it also means that everything is much more sensitive to UREs (Unrecoverable Read Error) which are specified in the SATA standard (1 per every 12.5TB read which can appear in any position).

The fact the unit said rebuilding RAID array but remains unreadable points to a rebuild stop caused by a URE which means that it is time to get out the backup, reformat the drives (ideally as RAID 1 + Standard) and restore.

When you say you dragged a couple of files using the browser what browser was that?  I ask because the main idea of a RAID array is that you can continue working even if a disk fails, is replaced and the array being rebuilt - it is only when you do completely unexpected actions that problems appear.