• June 16, 2024, 12:04:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: S.M.A.R.T. failed... now what?  (Read 3245 times)

andreas_s

• Level 1 Member
S.M.A.R.T. failed... now what?
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:34:10 AM »

Hi.

The NAS is activing weird... and sometimes hangs... Probably drive failure, and the S.M.A.R.T. test was failed... now what?
I can't find any easy way of repairing the disk.... running windows on my pc, and the last decent post regarding disk repairs I found was from 2011 - This one pointed out 3 third-party Tools, that seemed way to tricky for me to run... (and expensive..)

I would prefer not buying Another hdd and start to copy Everything... probably the copy will fail, and its massive amount of data/files.

Is there really no easy way of repairing or tools for that?...

regards
Andreas

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: S.M.A.R.T. failed... now what?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »

Hi andreas,

A little more information from you would be a help, your question is very like the one about how long is a piece of string  ;)

1)  how many disks involved and what are their capacities?  Also, how old?
2)  if more than one disk how are they set up - RAID ? array, JBOD or standard?
3)  how old is your last tested backup?
4)  what is the temperature of the drives - use the web UI to find that out.

Now, depending on what is wrong with the disk/s, you may, or may not, be able to reuse it/them - this depends on the exact reason for the SMART failure. 
If you are having temperature problems - these can cause the SMART tests to have a fit - you need to check the output of the fan.
If the disk/s have used up all the spare sectors then the only safe thing to do is replace them - that is generally caused by the platter surface being damaged in some way.

There are other things that I could tell you but I need the information to allow me an informed opinion based on the experience of myself and my staff.

andreas_s

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 06:58:54 AM »

Hi andreas,

A little more information from you would be a help, your question is very like the one about how long is a piece of string  ;)

1)  how many disks involved and what are their capacities?  Also, how old?
2)  if more than one disk how are they set up - RAID ? array, JBOD or standard?
3)  how old is your last tested backup?
4)  what is the temperature of the drives - use the web UI to find that out.

Now, depending on what is wrong with the disk/s, you may, or may not, be able to reuse it/them - this depends on the exact reason for the SMART failure. 
If you are having temperature problems - these can cause the SMART tests to have a fit - you need to check the output of the fan.
If the disk/s have used up all the spare sectors then the only safe thing to do is replace them - that is generally caused by the platter surface being damaged in some way.

There are other things that I could tell you but I need the information to allow me an informed opinion based on the experience of myself and my staff.

Hi.

Its a single drive, 'Standard' volume type - No raid, no backup or anything. Just a 3 TB Wester Digital for storing all my media. Right now its 32 degree Celsius in the system, but when it failed it was standing in my attic where its about ~0-5 degrees only, so system temprature was probably lower.
The disc is no more than 1 years of age.

It started to act strange after a power failure in the house... Sometimes 'hanging' when doing full hd tasks, such as scanning or Plex scheduled tasks.
I also tried the latest firmware, as well as both HDD slots.

How do I access the SMART-Logs?... I can see in manual that you can access them, but doesnt mention how?

If you have any hints with supplied information, I salute you...;-)... Otherwise... what system repairation Tools are out there?... Nothing built-in the nas??... the r-Tools seems a bit complicated for me...

best regards
Andreas

Modified: btw - normal Scan disk was ok... SMART disk check failed..
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:03:34 AM by andreas_s »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 03:13:11 PM »

OK, let us start.

To get the SMART info you use the web UI and go to 'Maintenance' --> 'Status' --> 'Hard Drive Info'  and then just click on the button at the right of the disk information (under status).

There are a couple of tools you need, software and hardware.
Software:  go to http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=7  where to get disk tools and follow the links to download WinDlg_v1_29.zip.  This is the windows version of the WD diagnostics that will test your drive to see if there is any problems (if it fails any of the tests then get a new one).

Hardware:  get something like http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch-Converter-USB-DSC7/dp/B0056JBBKS the Sabrent DSC7 usb-sata converter that has provision for external power (the external power is necessary if you don't have any USB3 ports).

Unzip the software and run setup.  Attach the drive to the USB/SATA adapter and plug it into the running computer.  The software has a GUI interface but be careful and read everything twice (it is better to be safe than sorry) and run the tests.

Your next actions depend on the results of the tests.  If the drive passes the tests we then need to look at your NAS box and power supply.  If it doesn't then we need to look at recovery options remembering the file system on the disk is the Linux Ext3 file system and if you have access to a Linux computer it is a simple matter to copy from the old drive to another USB hard disk (only using windows makes it hard).

andreas_s

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »

Many thanks!

Will try this out - Gonna take a couple of days, incl amazon shopping..

The logs showed errors on almost every test, so I dont have much hope though...