• May 22, 2024, 08:25:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: D-ViewCam "Restart to Apply A New Setting" Message  (Read 9183 times)

a.browser

• Level 1 Member
D-ViewCam "Restart to Apply A New Setting" Message
« on: June 22, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »

I am adding to several similar topics that have appeared in this forum over the past two years as there does not seem to be any definitive solution to this problem.  This topic must be very common as one particular thread has been read over 25,700 times!  I apologize in advance for the length.   However, I wanted to provide everyone with as much information of my own attempts, my experience with e-mailing D-Links’ Help Desk, and my experience with phoning D-Links’ Help Desk. 

I had been using several versions of ViewCam on a Windows XP system for over two years with no major issues.  I recently upgraded that system to Windows Vista.  Now when I start Main Console, I get the following behavior:

ViewCam starts normally.
It connects to my camera and displays the camera’s image.
It displays "Trial" above the camera's name in the upper left corner of the image.
After a few seconds the camera disconnects and I get the message "The program will be restarted to apply a new setting".  The only choice is to click on OK.
The message repeats every time ViewCam is restarted.

In reading about this issue in this forum, I have noted that a variety of solutions have helped some users, but for others no solution has helped.  Seemingly unrelated changes can solve the problem: uninstalling and reinstalling ViewCam, installing ViewCam as an administrator, executing Main Console as an administrator, setting Compatibility to Windows XP, and turning off User Account Control (UAC).  I tried all of them with no change. 

After my own trials, I e-mailed the Help Desk.  Their initial advice was to uninstall ViewCam, download the software, and reinstall it.  Even though I had already done that more than once, I repeated those steps because there was a newer version of ViewCam and the Device Pack on their Web site.  No change.  The Help Desk suggested that I purge the Registry of all ViewCam and Main Console references.  I uninstalled ViewCam, removed all references, and reinstalled ViewCam.  No change.  The Help Desk’s final advice was to call for further troubleshooting.

I called the Help Desk and told them that the changes to the Registry did not help.  That was the extent of the practical solutions.  Other alternatives were: either reinstall my operating system or install ViewCam on another computer.  A last alternative was to buy one of their Network Video Recorder (NVR) devices as they are phasing out ViewCam.

I tried another change after speaking to the Help Desk.  After I uninstalled ViewCam, I would notice that the folder C:\Programs Files\D-Link\D-ViewCam remained.  I presume it is retained to maintain any recorded camera files, program settings, etc.  No one suggested removing that, but I thought it was worth a try.  So I renamed it and installed ViewCam once again.  Still no change.

My main reason for sticking with ViewCam is that I have some recordings that I want to keep and replay.  Also, the program has worked fine for me until recently.

Now I have come here for help.  Does anyone have any other actions to try to solve this problem?  Can someone at D-Link look at the Main Console program and see what triggers the message?  There must be one or more IF-THEN statements with conditions that cause that message to be displayed.  If we knew those conditions, we could take action to eliminate them.  What is particularly frustrating for me is that Main Console initially works showing my camera’s image, then it is interrupted by the message and the endless restart loop.  Perhaps the program could be modified to remove these conditions.

I await your help.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: D-ViewCam "Restart to Apply A New Setting" Message
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:07:26 AM »

Does this happen on a different PC or a PC loaded with WIndows 7?

What version of D-View Cam are you using?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

walkjp1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »

a.browser-  saw this in your post and was told the same thing by help desk a while back.

"A last alternative was to buy one of their Network Video Recorder (NVR) devices as they are phasing out ViewCam".

A moderator on this board told me this is not true. Then why do they keep saying it and are not fixing Viewcam?

a.browser

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but there was no activity for several days so I got away from checking every day.  Then I got two replies in one day!

FurryNuts -    When my system was running Windows XP, I was using ViewCam 3.6.0 / Device Pack 1.5.4.  When I upgraded that system to Windows Vista, the "apply a new setting" message started.   I then tried a newer version, ViewCam 3.6.3 / Device Pack 1.6.2.  I got the same message from that.

As a side note, two "latest" versions of ViewCam are available for download for my camera: DCS-932LB1.  On support.dlink.com, version 3.6.0 is there.  On www.mydlink.com, version 3.6.3 is there.  Not sure why there are two software download sites.

I have not tried ViewCam on any other system.  My goal is to run ViewCam on my Windows Vista system.  That is a desktop system that I use to record from my camera while I am away.  While I have a Windows 7 laptop, that is the system I take with me so I can view my recordings remotely.  So installing ViewCam on the laptop would not further my end goal.  Say I installed ViewCam on my Windows 7 system and it either worked or did not work, I am not sure how that would help me troubleshoot my Vista system (although I am willing to listen to anything at this point).  From reading about this topic here, this problem seems to have begun with Windows Vista, as all users reference either Windows Vista, 7, or 8. No one seems to mention this problem with Windows XP.  So there must be some common aspect of Vista/7/8 that trips up ViewCam until you find the magic formula.

walkjp1 - That was interesting to hear and I agree with your question.

XRaySpeX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:06:51 AM »

Install DVC 4.0.5 from this site & this problem goes away. As well running with UAC enabled & so being able to run all your Win 10 Apps.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:12:51 AM by XRaySpeX »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 07:09:39 AM »

Thanks for posting. We hope this helps future users.  ;)

Install DVC 4.0.5 from this site & this problem goes away.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.