• June 15, 2024, 03:40:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Format Problems?  (Read 19617 times)

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
Re: Format Problems?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »

You can use http://www.whatismyip.com

:0

That will tell me the IP of my laptop but not my DNS?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 10:46:29 AM »

That gives you the external IP as you asked for. You can get the internal IP from the Easy Search Utility or possibly listed in your Routers dhcp table page.

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 02:57:20 PM »

That gives you the external IP as you asked for. You can get the internal IP from the Easy Search Utility or possibly listed in your Routers dhcp table page.

I guess I'm just not educated enough on IP addresses, but I thought that they were unique to each device. By running whatsmyip it tells me the IP of my laptop not my DNS correct? Or am I missing something? (I probably am but saying things open ended allows for better answers  ;D )

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

Http://www.whatismyip.com gives you your modem's IP address. The IP address granted to you buy your Internet Service Provider.

I have no idea what your Laptop's iP address is. it could be the same as the modem if you are connected directly to the modem however if you are not and you are connected wirelessly or through a router port then most likely your IP address of your laptop is not the same as your modem's IP address. Can you give a listing of your network appliances? Modem/Router, how you and your nas are connected to the network ETC. More information the easier it is to paint a picture here :).

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 03:44:45 PM »

Http://www.whatismyip.com gives you your modem's IP address. The IP address granted to you buy your Internet Service Provider.

I have no idea what your Laptop's iP address is. it could be the same as the modem if you are connected directly to the modem however if you are not and you are connected wirelessly or through a router port then most likely your IP address of your laptop is not the same as your modem's IP address. Can you give a listing of your network appliances? Modem/Router, how you and your nas are connected to the network ETC. More information the easier it is to paint a picture here :).

Sure, router into wall, the internal IP of the router is 192.168.1.1. My laptop varies in IP from .2-.6 and my DNS I set Static to 192.168.1.4, with a specific port opened up on the router for FTP connections. I looked it up and the IP given by whatismyip is my router's IP. So if I just type that in it will allow me to connect to the DNS?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 04:46:19 PM »

It is your routers internal IP or external ip, "192.168.1.1" or other? If you have already forwarded the port yes it hsould be able to connect to from the external IP.

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »

It is your routers internal IP or external ip, "192.168.1.1" or other? If you have already forwarded the port yes it hsould be able to connect to from the external IP.

Next time I'm outside my network I'll give it a try and let all know. Thanks!

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »

Issue resolved. Using cyberduck instead of built-in Mac FTP connection software.
Pages: 1 2 [3]