• June 15, 2024, 06:26:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Format Problems?  (Read 19618 times)

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
Re: Format Problems?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 02:21:05 AM »

I'm sending my DNS-321 back to NewEgg for a replacement, and I have someone in the IT department at work (I work at Lockheed Martin) checking out the drives and running tests on them. As things update I'll be sure to let everybody know.

I'm a big advocate of forums because I believe they usually are more help than support sites themselves. I don't plan on going anywhere, because once I become an ACTUAL DNS-321 owner, I have a personal duty to participate in the forum.

Jman215, with a response like that, I would gladly give you a +1 to your karma! That is, if I could figure out how the darned thing worked!  >:(  I keep hearing about something on the left side of the screen to use, but my screen doesn't have it. So, consider yourself +1'd "in spirit".   ;D  Keep up the good attitude and spirit buddy, and maybe even see if you can pass it on to a few "select others"!  ;) ;)
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 03:42:38 PM »

UPDATE:

The scans finished, and both drives came back fine (except for corrupt partitions, which is probably because of the 321).

Sent the DNS back to NewEgg yesterday, so as soon as I get my new one, I'll let everyone know what happens!

-J

So I got a new unit from NewEgg today...Guess what? I'm having the exact same problems! I don't even know what I should do now.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »

Ok a couple of questions.

1.) Did you send the drives back with the unit to newegg or just the device itself?

2.) You mentioned you formatted the drives as NTFS and they worked. How did you accomplish this with a MacBook pro? You did not mention the source of the format.

3.) From the same pc you formatted those drives to ntfs, connect the harddrive, remove all partitions (not format, REMOVE/Delete). Place the drives in the unit once they have had partitions removed. If you are capable of connecting the PC directly to the DNS-321 do it and do the following; Reset the dns-321 to default (hold a paperclip in the rear reset hole for 10+seconds until it begins flashing the power button), set a static ip address on the computer in the 192.168.0.x range (anything but 192.168.0.32 because that is the units default IP). Connect to the dns-323 in your browser (if possible use IE just incase) by going to http://192.168.0.32.

Once logged in, perform your format in your selected raid type and let it finish while directly connected to that pc via ethernet.

If you do all that and can connect to the device without it asking for a format directly, then it it is not the device but something local, network/mac etc.

If you still can't format the unit correctly with that setup.....I will be at a loss.

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »

Ok a couple of questions.

1.) Did you send the drives back with the unit to newegg or just the device itself?

2.) You mentioned you formatted the drives as NTFS and they worked. How did you accomplish this with a MacBook pro? You did not mention the source of the format.

3.) From the same pc you formatted those drives to ntfs, connect the harddrive, remove all partitions (not format, REMOVE/Delete). Place the drives in the unit once they have had partitions removed. If you are capable of connecting the PC directly to the DNS-321 do it and do the following; Reset the dns-321 to default (hold a paperclip in the rear reset hole for 10+seconds until it begins flashing the power button), set a static ip address on the computer in the 192.168.0.x range (anything but 192.168.0.32 because that is the units default IP). Connect to the dns-323 in your browser (if possible use IE just incase) by going to http://192.168.0.32.

Once logged in, perform your format in your selected raid type and let it finish while directly connected to that pc via ethernet.

If you do all that and can connect to the device without it asking for a format directly, then it it is not the device but something local, network/mac etc.

If you still can't format the unit correctly with that setup.....I will be at a loss.

1. I sent the device back to NewEgg, not the drives, which if what you suggest doesn't work I will do.

2. I used my friend's desktop pc to reformat them. Now I have my pc up here so I will use that to do what you suggested.

3. When I do this, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »

Quick response :). Definitely let us know, I am interested to find the source. If it was hardware related you would never see the drives recognized at all, if it was software related in the device, this forum would be flooded with these complaints. Keep us updated we will do as much as we can to assist.

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »

So I got a new unit from NewEgg today...Guess what? I'm having the exact same problems! I don't even know what I should do now.

Jman215, I might have 1 additional bit of suggestion for you too. Something you said in your first post has bothered me since then, but I kept forgetting to post back about it. You said

"I checked seagates site and according to the serial numbers they don't need to be firmware updated".

With that statement, I would still check their site and see if, buried somewhere, they have a further firmware update for those drives, ones that still had problems after they posted "the fix". Google it, check the Seagate forum, or maybe even another member here has found newer firmware somewhere, once you post the revision you are currently on. See if, in fact, your drives are up to the latest firmware. Serial numbers can sometimes be wrong, just sometimes, and in this case I would explore every avenue, in case they are wrong and you are working with faulty firmware on them.

Those drives were problematic, as you had stated, and I don't place a great deal of trust in something that was proved to be a problem until it is proved "beyond the shadow of a doubt" that it is no longer a problem. Call me cynical, but I've been burned too many times before by things that were "supposed to be fixed now".

So, I just thought I'd add this to your list of things to try, because it may still turn out to be the drives. And on my personal bet, I'd still say they will be the source of the problem, your DNS box seems to be able to do too much, you get too far into the process for it to be the DNS, IMHO.

I know this seems to be a lot of work for something that should have worked right out of the box, as a lot of us did find, but once you do get the 321 up and running, I will bet that you will fall in love with it as I did when mine showed up on my network for the first time!  :)  :)  :)

Take care dude, have a great weekend and, as you already have been doing faithfully, keep us posted on what's happening, ok?  :)

P.S. You said that the drives formatted with NTFS successfully so they can't be the problem. But, with glitchy firmware, they still *could* be the problem. Have you tried formatting them in the DNS box with EXT3 instead of 2? I know it's a small difference, but 3 is more stable than 2 at a slight cost in speed, but stability is what you are looking for, right? Again, just a thought, a small chance, whatever.  ;)
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »

With that statement, I would still check their site and see if, buried somewhere, they have a further firmware update for those drives, ones that still had problems after they posted "the fix". Google it, check the Seagate forum, or maybe even another member here has found newer firmware somewhere, once you post the revision you are currently on. See if, in fact, your drives are up to the latest firmware. Serial numbers can sometimes be wrong, just sometimes, and in this case I would explore every avenue, in case they are wrong and you are working with faulty firmware on them.

P.S. You said that the drives formatted with NTFS successfully so they can't be the problem. But, with glitchy firmware, they still *could* be the problem. Have you tried formatting them in the DNS box with EXT3 instead of 2? I know it's a small difference, but 3 is more stable than 2 at a slight cost in speed, but stability is what you are looking for, right? Again, just a thought, a small chance, whatever.  ;)

Actually, I just tried with ext 3...I've exhausted every possible option. The drives are going back to NewEgg and I'll get two new ones, they're shipping out tommorow. I'll do my searching until then for firmwares, but as soon as I get the new drives I'll give everyone the new data before I do anything to see if we can't come up with an optimal format solution pre-format. (Raid option, ext option, etc.) My DNS is all your DNS as far as I'm concerned, becuase without other owners, there is no following.

P.S. It might be the drives because for the first time today after another failed format run, the drives were showing up amber. Not sure if they really are failed, but they are going back, so at this point does it really matter?

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »

Actually, I just tried with ext 3...I've exhausted every possible option. The drives are going back to NewEgg and I'll get two new ones, they're shipping out tommorow. I'll do my searching until then for firmwares, but as soon as I get the new drives I'll give everyone the new data before I do anything to see if we can't come up with an optimal format solution pre-format. (Raid option, ext option, etc.) My DNS is all your DNS as far as I'm concerned, becuase without other owners, there is no following.

P.S. It might be the drives because for the first time today after another failed format run, the drives were showing up amber. Not sure if they really are failed, but they are going back, so at this point does it really matter?

No, you are right, at this point it matters not. It is too bad that NewEgg wouldn't take them back and swap you for a set of drives that are known relatively problem free, like the Seagate 1 TB drives, or any number of others. Then if there are problems it would most likely be the DNS, what are the chances of getting 4 (or even just 2) bad drives in a row!

I think you made the right choice now Jman215, especially since the drives are coming up amber now. That *should* indicate problems with the drive or drives, which I think were suspect all along.

So, sit back, enjoy the weekend (unless you are in Saskatchewan where it's been raining for 3 days straight now!) and we'll play this game again next week, hopefully with a much happier ending for you!  ;)  :D
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »

RMA was posted NewEgg today, so three business days from now I will have new drives to test in my DNS. I'll let you all know when they come in! Any ideas on the best way to format them? I was thinking individual disks. Should I format them with beta and EXT3?

Jacob

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »

RMA was posted NewEgg today, so three business days from now I will have new drives to test in my DNS. I'll let you all know when they come in! Any ideas on the best way to format them? I was thinking individual disks. Should I format them with beta and EXT3?

Jacob

Awesome Jman, soon we will know then!

On my take on it, EXT2 or 3 is personal preference. There are legit arguments for both camps. I personally went with 3, I had 2 and redid my 321 after the beta came out. I have a backup of my mirrored drives in another PC so I had that option. I do find 3 slower on transfers, but not by a huge amount. And I am all about stability and security, and 3 seemed the way to go after reading the entire Net on the subject!  ;)

But in the end, it will be you that has to live with it, so do some reading yourself and pick the features you would want for the box.

As far as the beta, I actually quite like it. I've had no major problems, some small ones for sure, but nothing that interfered with the day to day operation of the unit. And it did add a few nifty little features (toys?) that I appreciated. Even my email notification works now, sorta. It does send one daily, I just can't get it to send at the time I want it. I have used every possible time in the dropdown list, but I can't get the email to go at the time I pick. As I said, small problems, the unit works good, the beta was nice and EXT3 gave me what I needed. So, now it's your turn to play, let us know how it turns out and what you end up deciding on for the format and firmware version.

Laters dude, and have a great upcoming weekend, we've gone from constant rain and cold here to this weekend's +33C temps. Gotta love a province where, if ya don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes and it will change!  :D

P.S. Did you put any thought into the suggestion to trade your drives for ones without known problems? And do you have your serials and firmware revisions from the old drives to see if your new ones came from the same batch? And, was trading the drives even an option that NewEgg offered? Just curious as to how you went with all of that stuff.
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »

P.S. Did you put any thought into the suggestion to trade your drives for ones without known problems? And do you have your serials and firmware revisions from the old drives to see if your new ones came from the same batch? And, was trading the drives even an option that NewEgg offered? Just curious as to how you went with all of that stuff.

Drives come tomorrow! Just moved into a new apartment so maybe the good new apartment will bring good new drives  :D

I just traded the drives through RMA through NewEgg
The serials were (9VS1GXPS) and (9VS1HED6) - (I originally thought I would do a warranty exchange through Seagate hence the serials on record, but then I found out they charge me shipping there and back!)

I believe the firmware was CC1H. So I'll let all know what happens tomorrow when I get them!  :)

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »

So all, I got two more drives from the same batch of CC1H firmwares, but...they formatted correctly! Now I have two individual drives running in my DNS! Now to move onto other things, such as getting my XP desktop to map to the drives lol...it seems it doesn't want to connect for some reason...I should be able to find my answers here though.

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 10:05:44 PM »

So all, I got two more drives from the same batch of CC1H firmwares, but...they formatted correctly! Now I have two individual drives running in my DNS! Now to move onto other things, such as getting my XP desktop to map to the drives lol...it seems it doesn't want to connect for some reason...I should be able to find my answers here though.

You could try the Easy Search utility that Dlink provides. It worked for me on 1 XP box, but not on the other. On the one that didn't work, I checked all the network settings, they were all ok. I left it, came back the next morning and it automagically appeared! Gotta love that good old BrowseMaster stuff eh.  ;)  ;)

And, congrats on getting the 321 up and running dude, good for you. Now you can join the rest of us in dealing with the rest of the eccentricities of this unit. It has a few, but I still think it's the best solution for the money, even against others that are a tad cheaper.  :)
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

Jman215

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 05:06:45 AM »

So I found the solution to connecting to the box, sadly enough it was ZoneAlarm stopping it. Yes, the "wonderful" program charged with protecting our computers from intrusions "protected" me from connecting to my DNS.

Now the next problem, how to connect to my DNS over the internet with FTP, where do I find the external IP to connect?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »

You can use http://www.whatismyip.com

:0
Pages: 1 [2] 3