• March 29, 2024, 01:23:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 rebooting every couple hours  (Read 7718 times)

Scottythe Body

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 rebooting every couple hours
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »

Just bought the DIR-655 and for the most part it works great, however it's having a strange issue where it appears to reboot by itself. What I've noticed is while playing a game or streaming video (it may be doing it at other times too, but it is only off for maybe a minute or two so just surfing the web etc I may not notice it) my connection drops, I'll look over & see the power & internet light turned off on the router (all the other lights seem to stay on). Then the power light will come back on, the internet light will turn on orange for a second then switch over to blue & the internet starts working again. I don't think it's any kind of a power issue as my modem is plugged into the same surge protector and it never has an issue.

I'm at work currently so I can't check any setting until I get home, but any thoughts on what I can do to fix this.   

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-655 rebooting every couple hours
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Scottythe Body

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »

•What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
B1

•What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status
2.11NA - I've actually talked to tech support on this & they said this was the current firmware for this hardware version

•What region are you located?
St. Louis, Missouri area

•Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?

Both at times, I only have a laptop, but it's usually wired. However I have had the reboot happen while wireless as well.

•Has a Factory Reset been performed?
Yes, I reset & reconfigured one of the times I had to call tech support, I had the same issue before & after the reset.

•What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
Charter is the ISP & it's Cable

•What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
Ubee U10C035.30

•Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
•What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?

Not sure on either of those, how would I find that out?

•Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended
I'll try switching to a CAT6, the CAT5 cable that came with the router is what's on there currently, would it be a good idea to use CAT6 from the router to my laptop as well?

•Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask
OK I did the check and when I ran the first one at 1472 I got back a message mentioning packets with a ping time. So if I'm understanding this correctly I should add 28 to the 1472 to get 1500. Which sounds right since you said that is usually what cable is. Do I still need to call my ISP & ask or does that test work?

For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled
I'm guessing since I have cable internet this doesn't apply?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »

•What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
B1

•What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status
2.11NA - I've actually talked to tech support on this & they said this was the current firmware for this hardware version
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

•What region are you located?
St. Louis, Missouri area

•Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?

Both at times, I only have a laptop, but it's usually wired. However I have had the reboot happen while wireless as well.

•Has a Factory Reset been performed?
Yes, I reset & reconfigured one of the times I had to call tech support, I had the same issue before & after the reset.

•What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
Charter is the ISP & it's Cable

•What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
Ubee U10C035.30

•Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
•What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?

Not sure on either of those, how would I find that out?

•Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended
I'll try switching to a CAT6, the CAT5 cable that came with the router is what's on there currently, would it be a good idea to use CAT6 from the router to my laptop as well?
Yes

•Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask
OK I did the check and when I ran the first one at 1472 I got back a message mentioning packets with a ping time. So if I'm understanding this correctly I should add 28 to the 1472 to get 1500. Which sounds right since you said that is usually what cable is. Do I still need to call my ISP & ask or does that test work?
No

For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled
I'm guessing since I have cable internet this doesn't apply? Corret

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable or Disable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) and test under Setup/Internet/Manual. Disable may help with speed performance on higher speed ISP services.
  • Turn on DNS Relay  under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. The DST setting is only needed in the NA region. Tools/Time.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:53:19 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Scottythe Body

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:49 AM »

First of all I want to thank you for the quick responses. I'll answer your question & then try to post what I've done to this point
•Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process
•Was the router working before any firmware updates?
No firmware updates have been performed. It apparently came out of the box with the latest firmware, or at least according to tech support anyway :)

Now on to what I've done.

•Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS
Traffic shaping was disabled by default, QoS options were greyed out, so I didn't mess with them. However if I need to I can temporarily enable traffic shaping then uncheck the boxes & re-disable traffic shaping. But I figured since they were grey they were off by default since traffic shaping is disabled

•Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.

This one was a bit intimidating. By default I was on a dynamic IP, Obtain automatically wasn't an option, and when I set it to static it cleared the IP address field & brought up some new fields like subnet mask etc & I wasn't sure what needed to go there so I just left it set to dynamic IP

•Enable or Disable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) and test under Setup/Internet/Manual. Disable may help with speed performance on higher speed ISP services.
Was enabled by default, switched to disable

•Turn on DNS Relay  under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
This one I went most of the way through & chickened out. It was worded a bit differently, but when I disable it, it opens up fields for 2 DNS addresses I downloaded the bench program, ran it & copied the top 2 addresses but for whatever reason was unsure so I never put them in, maybe I'll try that next.

•Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
•Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.

This one was also pretty intimidating I read the link you posted but it was somewhat confusing so I skipped both these steps

•If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only under Setup/IPv6.
It was an option, set it to local connectivity only.

•Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
Set both firewall settings to endpoint independent, don't think I messed with SPI though (trying to remember what I did last night)

•Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
Pretty sure uPnP was on by default, multi cast stream was disabled so I enabled it, not sure I did IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming, I'll check tonight & try that if I didn't already

•Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
Turned WISH off, couldn't find WPS

•WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
It was set to automatic so I left it there as I wasn't sure what speed to set it to.

•Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. The DST setting is only needed in the NA region. Tools/Time.
I set the date & time, I followed your link to attempt the NTP server feature but couldn't figure it out so I just manually set it.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
•Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.

I changed the SSID when I originally set the router up

•What wireless modes are you using?
Not sure, where can I find this?

•2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
Again had a little trouble finding this, where would this option be?

•Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
I'm pretty sure it was set to auto, I left it on auto, I may try to switch to 20 tonight

•Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions.
Also left this on auto, may also try this tonight as well

•What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
WPA-Personal

•What wireless devices do you have connected?
As of right now just a laptop, WiFi Thermostat & 2 smart phones. Will eventually have my PS3 too, but just haven't set it up yet.

•Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
No cordless phones in the house at all, we don't even have land phone lines, just cell phones. I'm not sure what a WiFi AP is. We do have a video baby monitor that is sometimes running but I set it about 8-10 ft from the router and I've seen it do the reboot when the monitor is off & charging in our bedroom which is a good 75 ft from the router

•Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
Didn't check this, but just from logging on I usually see 2-3, I'll check tonight when I get home

•If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Short GI was on, I left it on. WLAN Partition was off, I turned it on.

So after doing all this logged in & started playing a game, after about 2 hours router reboots again. So I still haven't solved my issues. I'm going to try a few of the other things I was afraid to do last night, most of them I think I know how to do. However setting the static IP address I'm not sure about. I guess I'll try the other stuff first, if none of that works I'll try to go over setting the static IP address at that point.

Again thanks for all your help

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:35:43 AM »

Most of the wireless options can be found under Setup/Wireless/Manual. There are more options under Advanced/Advanced Wireless as well.

Let us know what you find out tonight.

Does the reboot happen if your gaming on both wired and wireless connections?

Maybe someone can review your router settings with you using Link> teamviewer if your interested. Its safe and secure.

Scottythe Body

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »

Most of the wireless options can be found under Setup/Wireless/Manual. There are more options under Advanced/Advanced Wireless as well.

Let us know what you find out tonight.

Does the reboot happen if your gaming on both wired and wireless connections?

Maybe someone can review your router settings with you using Link> teamviewer if your interested. Its safe and secure.
It's mainly when wired, but I think that's mostly because most stuff I do that requires a constant connection I do mostly wired. But I'm pretty sure it's happened wirelessly, although I didn't actually see it (partly because when I'm using it wirelessly I'm not within sight of the router) but I got the can't find the servers message which I get when the router reboots.

I wouldn't have a problem doing the team viewer, but it would have to be later in the evening (like after 9:00 central time) or on the weekend.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »

Lets see what some of the other suggestions do and then lets get a picture of your WiFi neighborhood around you. Could be an issue here.

Scottythe Body

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 08:07:50 AM »

OK last light I turned off advanced dns services & entered the 2 dns addresses from the bench program and turned dns relay on. I still left it set to dynamic IP, when I attempt to switch to static it gives me blank fields for "IP address" "default gateway" & "subnet mask" if I remember correctly & I'm not sure what needs to go in these fields.

Also I downloaded the inSSSider program & ran it. I was on channel 6, it was set up to auto set the channel. When I first checked no one else was set to channel 6, however after watching for a few minutes occasionally a signal would pop up on channel 6. (I'm assuming it must be just far enough away that it only picks it up sometimes) So I went ahead & switched to channel 11.

Firstly I will say it seems to have speeded the router up a bit, load times were noticeably faster after the changes. However after about 2 hours of gaming it rebooted on me again.

So at this point the only things I haven't done are changing out the wires (they're on there way here) switching to the static IP address, setting up DHCP addresses for all devices & setting devices to auto obtain IP address, turning off WPS, switching wireless mode & setting channel width to 20 MHz only.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »

What ISP Modem service package link speeds UP and Down do you have?
What is the current state of Traffic Shaping and QoS?

Scottythe Body

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »

What ISP Modem service package link speeds UP and Down do you have?
What is the current state of Traffic Shaping and QoS?

Not sure on link speeds, how would I find this out?

Traffic shaping was off by default, all 3 QoS options were greyed out & checked. I can enable traffic shaping & uncheck the QoS options then re-disable traffic shaping but I was assuming since they were greyed that meant they were off by default. Should I go ahead & uncheck them anyway?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »

Ask your ISP about what speed package you have?

We might try enabling TS and QoS...

intricatefool

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »

Did anyone happen to find a resolution to the reboot? The issue for me only seemed to have begun when I upgraded my firmware from version 2.07 to 2.11NA.

My router reboots anywhere from every 15 minutes to every 2 hours. What changes were made or features added between firmwares that could be causing this issue? Really hoping to find a solution here because this is driving me insane. I really do not feel like I should have to buy a new router due to this being a known issue with this particular router.

Any help would be truly appreciated!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:05 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

Wireless Configurations
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials

Did anyone happen to find a resolution to the reboot? The issue for me only seemed to have begun when I upgraded my firmware from version 2.07 to 2.11NA.

My router reboots anywhere from every 15 minutes to every 2 hours. What changes were made or features added between firmwares that could be causing this issue? Really hoping to find a solution here because this is driving me insane. I really do not feel like I should have to buy a new router due to this being a known issue with this particular router.

Any help would be truly appreciated!