• April 24, 2024, 02:17:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS323, DIR655 and FT server  (Read 6829 times)

french_guy

• Level 2 Member
DNS323, DIR655 and FT server
« on: June 13, 2014, 06:12:10 PM »

Hello
I've done a lot of reading, but I'm still confused on how to setup a FTP server on my DNS323, and access it thru the internet (outside my LAN)
I've created an account on Dlinkddns.com, but I'm not sure about the rest
I know I have to setup a static IP address for the NAS, then define the FTP server on the NAS, and define the DNS on the router and port forward port 21
But it doesn't work....
But who could help me STEP BY STEP with some screen shot if possible?
How should I 1st test the FTP server inside my LAN, and after test from outside?

Thanks in advance

french_guy

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS323, DIR655 and FT server
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:22:30 AM »

Nobody to help me out?

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »

It's possible that nobody has replied because this question has been asked and answered SOOOOOO many times.......

Here is one example.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=54702.0

The specific resolution you request depends on your router and it's firmware.

Get it running locally (direct).
Then, get it running locally by hitting the router.
Then, get it running remotely.

Instead of saying "it doesn't work", state specifically what you have done, what does work, what you are trying to do and the actual error messages.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

french_guy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 03:51:43 AM »

My router is DIR 655 Rev B1, firmware 2.11NA
From the link you gave me:
The basic steps are ...

1 - Assign the NAS a static LAN ip address --> done
2 - Configure the ftp server on the NAS using the static LAN ip address --> the only spot where to put an ip address in the DNS 323 ftp config is for "Report external IP in passive mode". Is this where I put the static address?
3 - Confirm ftp access on the LAN --> When I type ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, I'm asked for a user name and password. I used the credential I use to login into the webgui of the nas. But then Firefox is showing "connecting", and after a while, I have only a white page !
4 - Configure port forwarding on the router --> Done (I'm using virtual server)
5 - Confirm ftp access from the internet using the router's WAN ip address --> Same as (3)
6 - Configure dynamic DNS (on the device of your choice).
7 - Confirm dynamic DNS functionality.
8 - Confirm ftp access from the internet by URL.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:00:22 AM »

For anything to work with the inbuilt FTP server you need to set it up correctly (i.e configure it).  From the information you have given you have not done that.

For a start you need to setup users and groups (under the advanced tab). 
Then under FTP Server you setup the account settings.
In the server settings you select what you need (don't forget to click 'apply' if you make any changes).
The access list will give the selected information and allow the changing of various settings.

Unless you have setup the FTP server and have it running there is no way that you will have access to it.

Your point 2, you just have to configure the FTP server on that IP address and assuming you don't have any other FTP servers running on your network  just follow the outline I gave above.

In your point 3 you will get a blank page if you have not setup any users with access accounts.

Point 5 requires a working FTP server as point 3 and you must use an internet connected device that is not also connected to your local network for testing (if your test device is connected to your local network it will use that to connect).

french_guy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »

The FTP server is configured (properly I think....but let me know what I should double check)
I've selected a user, checked root and defined the permissions (Read/Write)
And I can see that user in the "FTP access list"
And the "FTP server status" says Started, and port is 21
The button at the bottom page is "Stop FTP server"

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »

Two things, the user you have selected is fully defined in users/groups section, and you have an FTP client installed on one of your computers.

The user will have a user name and password which may, or may not, the same as you used to log on to the unit.

Using an FTP client (e.g. Filezilla - free from web) will allow you to see the full connection handshake process and should show any problems.

If you do use FileZilla the host is the fixed IP of your NAS, username is the name you defined in user/group (it is case sensitive - Name is not the same as name), password is the one you defined for the user and port can be left blank (defaults to 21) unless you changed the default.  Clicking on Quick connect  will then start the connection process which is shown in the upper information section. 
There will be a pause after the 'waiting for welcome message...' is displayed because the NAS has to reply.  You should then see
Response:    220------ Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------  followed by more messages until you get to,
Command:    USER xxxxx    (where xxxxx is the user you defined)
Response:    331 User xxxxx OK. Password required
Command:    PASS ********
Then if all is well you get.
Response:    230 OK. Current restricted directory is ???  (with ??? being the directory defined for the user)
After several more messages you should get.
Response:    211 End.
At which stage you should see the directory listing in the Remote site (on the right) list pane.

Until you can connect on your local network it is no good trying to connect from outside.

french_guy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »

I did some progress...
I can now access my NAS from inside my LAN, using ftp://<static ip address>, or using Filezilla

But it doesn't work from the outside (using my cellphone) with my dlinkddns hostname
However in my router, the status is "Connected" in the DNS page
And when I login into dlinkddns.com website, i can see my wan ip address, everything seems OK...!

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 04:07:55 AM »

I can now access my NAS from inside my LAN, using ftp://<static ip address>, or using Filezilla
Good, now all that remains is to setup your router to allow the FTP server to see and be accessed from the outside world.

Unfortunately my guy that does the router/modem setup for our clients is on holiday and at the moment I am out of the office and only have limited access to our information.  When I get time I will lookup the information we have on the DIR-655 and see what you need to do to setup NAT and/or port forwarding for the FTP server.

french_guy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 04:12:37 AM »

Cool, thanks in advance for your help

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 05:17:35 AM »

1)  Do NOT test with your cell phone UNLESS you are familiar with the ftp app/browser and how it works, what sort of errors it will send - which - based on your posts, I would say you are not.

2)  Do NOT attempt to test for internet connectivity from within the same network.

3)  Using a laptop or PC attempt to connect from the internet using the exact method used to connect across the LAN, with the only change being the change in ip address (check the router for it's WAN ip address).

Do NOT use a DNS name until you have confirmed connectivity using the ip address.

The results you get will/may vary depending on how you have chosen to configure your ftp server, AND ALSO THE FTP CLIENT BEING USED - some ftp clients default to what is known as passive ftp which requires specific configuration on both the ftp server and the firewall, passive ftp requires a more complex configuration, and for this reason I prefer to setup using regular/active ftp, and get that working as an interim step, and my preference is Microsoft's CLI ftp client, because it does not hide the error messages, or attempt to interpret them.

IF you are attempting to use a non standard port (anything other than 21), go back and reconfigure for port 21, get your ftp server up & running in it's most basic form and then add the tweaks after - a non standard port may/will require changes to be made in the client side firewall before it will work

For regular/active ftp you need to have port 21 forwarded to the ftp server - for passive ftp in addition to port 21, you need to configure a range of passive ports on the ftp server, and also forward that range of ports to the ftp server.

What happens when you try to connect in step #3.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:19:43 AM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

french_guy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 05:42:49 AM »

Well, it works from my cell phone (iPhone 4S) with the "FTP Lite" application - Rev 2.1.9. - I can access my DNS323  ::) ::) ::)
However, it doesn't work from "File Browser" application (Rev 5.1.2) - The ip address is resolved, but it says in red "Connect failed - socket timed out"

I have to say I was confused with the different usernames and passwords....
*) Username and password to access the NAS webgui
*) Username and password for the user defined in the NAS (users list)
*) Username and password for the dlinkddns account
I thought I should use the usnername and password of the dlinkddns account into the ftp client, but after I changed it to the username and password of the NAS user's list, it worked

Now, i have to find out why it works with one app and not the other one !!!!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »

Remember I suggested NOT using the phone unless you were familiar with the app?

Does NOT support AFP or FTP.

That was taken from this page...

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

Maybe the reason for a "step-by-step" approach will now be apparent. ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:26:05 AM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

french_guy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »

Well, using my cell phone was the quickest option to try over the internet
And I think I followed the step by step approach (setup a static IP address on the NAS, configure the FTP server, port forwarding on the router, test inside network, then configure DNS on router and test from outside)
And it works on the cell phone with 1 app (FTP lite), and now I know File Browser doesn't support FTP...
I cannot try from my office because of the firewall....