• July 05, 2020, 12:25:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Complementary Dynamic DNS  (Read 5144 times)

nullit

• Level 2 Member
Complementary Dynamic DNS
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »

On the DIR-601 I use (or actually "used") the complementary dynamic DNS service for D-Link customers (dlinkddns.com) and wanted to change my userID/username and hostname into something a little more easy to remember.
So, yesterday, I completely deleted the account and tried to open a new one with the same email address. This got rejected, however, with the explanation that "Only one account per e-mail address allowed" !
Does anybody know for how long one's email remains in the system i.e. prevents D-Link customers from using this complementary service ?

Thanks,

nullit

• Level 2 Member
Re: Complementary Dynamic DNS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »

Incidentally, will Dyn's shutting down DynDNS free service impact D-Link router customers' complementary dynamic DNS service ??  ???

Thanks,

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:49:36 PM »

Dyn to Shut Down DynDNS Free Service

You might need to get into a new account and purchase the service...
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

nullit

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »

Purchase the service! Is this official from D-Link? Complimentary dynDNS service is an incentive to buy D-Link gear and, if you will, part of the contract one expects the company to honor, much like ongoing complementary firmware updates. So, surely D-Link must have a way to reinstate the service with my existing email address. If not, even buying a new router would not make complementary dynDNS service available to me. Weird!.

With respect to Dyn shutting down free DynDNS service, would it be safe to assume that D-Link is among the "longest and loyal Dyn supporters" and as such will continue to receive the service "free for life", - and that this promise should extend to many D-Link's router customers who (indirectly, granted) have long and loyally supported Dyn?.

Wondering . . .

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »

IT was mentioned that for those who donated to DDN services would get continued service.

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and get immediate help and information on this. We find that phone support has more immediate results rather than using email.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

nullit

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »

Update, update !!

I've managed to reinstate my dlinkddns account, - and here's the answer to my question if Dyn would discontinue D-Link customers' complementary DNS service: At (http://dyn.com/free-user-faqs/) Dyn says that D-Link customer's "hostnames will remain unaffected" by the May 7 cancellation of their free service !!

Cheers,

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Complementary Dynamic DNS (RESOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »

Enjoy.  ;)