• April 26, 2024, 02:10:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Permissions - Let all anyone read and restrict who can write?  (Read 5065 times)

canadmos

• Level 1 Member

Perhaps I'm just thinking too hard about this...

But when I create a share, I can choose to either restrict access by users/groups or to anyone who tries to access the share.

But, what if I want to let anyone read without needing to authenticate, but allow only certain created users to read and also write to the share?

For example, on my local network I would like to allow anyone to simply browse to the NAS and access the share to read documents. Then, on my machine I would simply map the share with my create user name and password, allowing only me to write to it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:34:31 PM by canadmos »

cable2

• Level 3 Member
Re: Permissions - Let all anyone read and restrict who can write?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »

Hi, setting of permissions is generally done specific to a particular user / group.  I am not sure what exactly you mean by "anyone".  Does "anyone" refer to users you have listed in the settings?  If so, this is simply done by giving each user "read only" rights.  This would mean only people you have given access to your network which is no problem.  If you are using "anyone" as any and every person on the internet, or at least having open access to your network, you could enable FTP and allow anonymous ftp in your settings.  I wouldn't do it though.  I guess a little defining your term "anyone", is needed. 

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

canadmos

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »

^I understand the permissions. But it doesn't seem like I can do what I am trying to do?

By anyone, I mean anyone. I want anyone who can plug into my network, to be able to read shares. This, you can do.

BUT, at the very same time, I want to also have a user account (or group..) to have permission to read and write to the share.

It seems like you can only set permissions to apply to anyone without authentication, OR to just users and groups (where you have to authenticate to gain access). Not both?

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:42 AM »

Hi, I am still not sure I understand you 100%, but I think you are right that you cannot do what you want to do with your NAS.  A Windows machine can create a share "Everyone" and give it whatever access rights while assigning a specific user full or whatever rights, but your NAS is not a Windows machine and I don't think there is a equivilant to "Everyone".  My memory is a bit thin on shares on Windows but with the exception of Anonomous FTP, I don't think there is a way on your NAS.  I may be wrong, but you must assign users/ groups to access your NAS.  Maybe a more knowledgeable helper will offer you a better answer.  Good luck

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »

I'm not 100% sure either, but I'm leaning towards cable2's assessment. I believe that as soon as permissions are assigned to a volume, access restrictions kick-in, removing any global access that existed beforehand. I would like to be proven otherwise as this is something many ShareCenter users would like to have as a configuration option.

canadmos

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »

Thanks for verifying my findings.

Hopefully this is worked on in the future, as I think it is a useful feature.

Is there anyway to submit feature requests to Dlink's development team?

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 04:47:38 AM »

Thanks for verifying my findings.

Hopefully this is worked on in the future, as I think it is a useful feature.

Is there anyway to submit feature requests to Dlink's development team?

DNS-325 - Firmware Wishlist