• May 07, 2024, 09:45:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dlink DNS-320 cannot update dlinkddns.com  (Read 18671 times)

madar

• Level 1 Member
Dlink DNS-320 cannot update dlinkddns.com
« on: November 18, 2013, 06:03:13 AM »

Hello,

I have a DNS-320 NAS, and I registered a domain on the dlinkddns.com. When I log in on the dlinkddns.com and update the IP address manually, the address is works. However, the NAS can't update it by itself.

my settings are like:

Dynamic DNS Enable
Server Address www.dlinkddns.com
Host Name myname.dlinkddns.com
Username or Key myname
Password or Key mypass
Verify Password or Key mypass

and i get the following all the time:

Status Connecting...

(my ddlinkddns login name and chosen hostname is same)

I forwarded the 21,80,443 ports to the NAS.

The NAS is DNS-320 revB with the original firmware (1.00). There is a newer version of firmware (1.01b02), but it's don't mention any fix about DDNS, so i didn't update.

I was thinking, maybe the problem that it's behind a router, and maybe can't determine the public IP address... But unfortunately the DSL modem / router what the ISP give isn't supporting Dyndns, so i can't make dyndns with the router

Any idea why is not updating?

thank you

madar

• Level 1 Member
Re: Dlink DNS-320 cannot update dlinkddns.com
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:03 AM »

another thing,

on the dyn.org they recommended to change the server address to members.dyndns.org . However i can't do this, since i can choose server address from the dropdown list only, even if the User Manual says i should type in address manually - i just can't write into that field.
It's normal, and the User Manual wrong, or something messed?

albert

• Level 5 Member
    • SoHo NAS Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:20:11 PM »

When you ping the DDNS hostname does it get resolve to the correct WAN IP address?

FYI, I tested this on my DNS-320 Rev A running on firmware 2.03 and DDNS service is working (ie, status show "Updated Successfully"). Ping also return the correct WAN IP address.
D-Link DNS-320 rev A1 (FW: 2.05) [FFP-0.7]
PCI NAS-01G (FW: Encore ENNHD-1000 4.10)
PCI NAS-01G (FW: OpenNAS 1.9]

madar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »

Hello Albert, thank you for the answer!

1. i go to the dlinkddns.com webpage, and i set the IP address manually on the webform
2. the DNS works, if i use the domain name in the browser, is found the NAS, ping point to the good address too
3. the IP address of the NAS is change by the ISP
4. the domain isn't works anymore, and the ping point to the old address still - the NAS simply can't update the DNS record

albert

• Level 5 Member
    • SoHo NAS Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »

Your ISP can only assign WAN (public) address to your router/modem, it can't touch your NAS and other network devices you have. What local (private) address did you set your NAS to?
D-Link DNS-320 rev A1 (FW: 2.05) [FFP-0.7]
PCI NAS-01G (FW: Encore ENNHD-1000 4.10)
PCI NAS-01G (FW: OpenNAS 1.9]

madar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 01:50:28 AM »

I don't really understand what you mean.

I have a public address, what i can type in at the dlinkddns.com - its something like 89.135.1.1
Of course the NAS have a private address, it's something like 192.168.0.32

If i install the DYN desktop client to a computer, lets say private IP address of the computer 192.168.0.31 - it is able to update the DNS record, and fill the 89.135.1.1 into the database. But the NAS is not able to do same.

Today i updated the firmware on the NAS, downloaded from the dlink, changed to version 1.01.
I am still unable to type manually into the DYN address field, only choose from the dropdown list, but is still don't work. On the list popped a new address, a dlinkddns.com.cn, but is not help either.

Minor change, that now i don't have only the connecting... message, but i get a failure message, like this:

Code: [Select]
Updated Failure
Last Updated Time:2013-11-21 10:41:13
Next Update Time:2013-11-21 10:51:13

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »

Have you set IP forwarding for the NAS in your router.  This is NOT port forwarding.

There is no way that you can see the nas from outside your network unless you set the router to translate calls to the nas IP.  I can't tell you how to do that without knowing what your router is - some routers make that easy to do, others do not.

madar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »

Have you set IP forwarding for the NAS in your router.  This is NOT port forwarding.

There is no way that you can see the nas from outside your network unless you set the router to translate calls to the nas IP.  I can't tell you how to do that without knowing what your router is - some routers make that easy to do, others do not.

Hello Ivan, thank you for the answer, but i think you should read again the posts. I forwarded the ports, and it works, and i access the NAS from outside.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 07:22:02 AM »

Hello Ivan, thank you for the answer, but i think you should read again the posts. I forwarded the ports, and it works, and i access the NAS from outside.

If you can access your NAS from outside your internal network what is the problem?

I assume that you only want to access your NAS and not the other computers on your network.  If so, then you only need to logon to your dlinkddns.com account and with IP forwarding on your router you should connect directly to the NAS - at least that is what one of our clients does after we set it up for him.

jasperklewer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »

Hi,
I have the same problem, and I think I have found the cause, see:
http://dns323.kood.org/information:known_issues#dynamic_dns_ddns_updates_issue
and
http://forum.dsmg600.info/p15441-2008-05-23-06:16:22.html

There is an error in the DNS-323 DDNS software, because it updates the settings too often, causing the server to block you for abuse. You are only allowed to update the records once every 24 days, or when your IP changes. The DNS updates every hour or more often.