• March 28, 2024, 04:34:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS 320L and Time Machine on Mavericks  (Read 14553 times)

massyc

• Level 1 Member
DNS 320L and Time Machine on Mavericks
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:28:53 AM »

Hello,
I'm trying to use the DNS-320L to backup my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).
The initial creation of the backup on the DNS-320L works fine but after few days I receive the following error and I loose my backup because Time Machine want to create a new one to "improve reliability":
"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “shareName”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you."

Time Machine's backup works fine using an USB HD directly connected to the Mac .

Is this an issue related with the DNS-320L or with the new OS X version?
Anyone encountered the same issue and (hopefully!) solved it?

Thanks in advance.
Massimiliano.

bororo

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS 320L and Time Machine on Mavericks
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »

Hi Massimiliano, are you using smb or afp? I have the same setup (DNS320L + Mavericks) and I run time machine on afp for over a month now without a problem

massyc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:45:59 AM »

Hi bororo,
thanks for answering.

The protocols enabled for the share I created for Time Machine are CIFS and AFP.
They are both disabled when I create and edit any network share and seems to be impossible to disable the CIFS protocol.

pinyeiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »

Hi Massimiliano, are you using smb or afp? I have the same setup (DNS320L + Mavericks) and I run time machine on afp for over a month now without a problem

PLEASE explain how did you set up your nas for using TM with Mavericks.

massyc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:46:22 AM »

Hello,
first of all thanks for answering.

Here is how I configured my DNS 320L to setup a Time Machine volume for Mavericks:

1. I created a new share under Account Management > Network Shares with read and write permissions for all users; the share have both CIFS and NFS protocols enabled because it's not possible to select/deselect them (the check boxes are gray and not editable);
2. Under Applications > Local Backups I selected Time Machine on the left, I enabled it selecting the check box and then I created a new Time Machine share selecting the share created at point 1.

On my Mac I opened Time Machine preferences, clicked "Select Disk... " and I selected the share created on the NAS;
Time Machine worked fine for same days using this share then it failed with the message I reported when I opened the thread.

pinyeiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »

Hi

All the steps on your work are done, but its terribly slow like its never gonna end :'(

What is happening ? How can I fix it? I dont wanna let the macbook air 12hs for every backup :S

massyc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »

TM can take a lot of time to perform the first backup because it have to transfer through the network a lot of files; obviously the time needed also depends on the network speed (for example while taking the first backup I prefer to use a wired connection instead of a wireless one).
Anyway because TM made incremental backups, the next times it will run will takes just few minutes because it will transfer just new and modified files.

Please, may you let me know in few weeks if TM will works fine on your NAS or if it will fail with any error?

Thanks in advance.

pinyeiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »

TM can take a lot of time to perform the first backup because it have to transfer through the network a lot of files; obviously the time needed also depends on the network speed (for example while taking the first backup I prefer to use a wired connection instead of a wireless one).
Anyway because TM made incremental backups, the next times it will run will takes just few minutes because it will transfer just new and modified files.

Please, may you let me know in few weeks if TM will works fine on your NAS or if it will fail with any error?

Thanks in advance.

It takes only a few hours to complete first backup ( lan connected by cable ), after this next were really fast (couple of minutes). Lets see how it works over wifi ^^